Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My re-creation of a late 20's or early 30's fedora using a 1950's beater fedora

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
:eek:

Back on topic : Are you gonna get the brim rebound eventually, or do you prefer the raw edge? :p

I love wide bound brims like whippets, but then again when it comes to 1930's and 20's hats, i really prefer the raw edge. Cavanagh edges are great too, but for some reason I feel that just regular overwelt and underwelt brims look almost unfinished.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joshbru3 said:
I love wide bound brims like whippets, but then again when it comes to 1930's and 20's hats, i really prefer the raw edge. Cavanagh edges are great too, but for some reason I feel that just regular overwelt and underwelt brims look almost unfinished.

:eusa_doh:

Sorry :eek: . Maybe if I read the title of the thread...lol

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
Looks OK to me. If the brim was the original width I'd agree wholeheartedly.

And when I said it looks OK to me, I meant just aesthetically in general. For a re-creation of a 20's or 30's hat, the crown would be higher. I'm not sure I would like it better that way, though. I think it looks great like it is.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
like what you did w/the ribbon, but i agree that the crown is too short for the era you were trying to capture. [huh]
Mr E Train said:
And when I said it looks OK to me, I meant just aesthetically in general. For a re-creation of a 20's or 30's hat, the crown would be higher. I'm not sure I would like it better that way, though. I think it looks great like it is.

I most definitely agree about the crown. The problem is not that I wasn't aware of the proper crown height, it was just the hat body that I used didn't have a very high crown. Also there was staining on the hat, so I had to incorporate the stain into the crease to hide the stains. The next hat body I get will have a tall crown. I'm most definitely going to make a couple more hats with frayed ribbons. Its pretty easy to fray a ribbon, it just takes a lot of patience.

coble

A-List Customer
Joshbru3 said:
Ive got a small mellon, only size 7. Im sure there are not too many of us here on the lounge. ;)

joshbru3 i wear a size 7 1/8, but i've had luck on ebay finding nice fedoras that only 1 or 2 people bid for. I agree with you, dont know how many small hat wearers are on the FL.

There were hats from that time period with shorter crowns. For example this Hückel Jota Seal Velour has a shorter crown. I think this one would be a good one to emulate ribbon (width) / bow wise (based on the crown height) although matching the blocking might be a problem. Also the hat in my avatar is from that era and has a shorter crown.

4073147246_379e29f7a4_b.jpg

4073148260_e12f36fc2c_b.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Joshbru3 said:
Loosing an item by 10 or 15 bucks doesnt even bother me, its the DAMN 50 OR 75 CENTS.

But one never really knows how much one has lost by. The winning bidder could have bid 100 dollars higher than you, but you'd never know it, since the system only bids what's necessary to beat your bid.

DesertDan

One Too Many
My compliments as well Joshbru3, you really transformed that from a clunker in to a sports car! Well done sir. :eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
There were hats from that time period with shorter crowns. For example this Hückel Jota Seal Velour has a shorter crown. I think this one would be a good one to emulate ribbon (width) / bow wise (based on the crown height) although matching the blocking might be a problem. Also the hat in my avatar is from that era and has a shorter crown.

4073147246_379e29f7a4_b.jpg

4073148260_e12f36fc2c_b.jpg

Hey thanks for the pics mayserwegener. I really like that hat. I dont think Ive ever seen one vintage Hückel that I didnt like. They all seem to be works of art and that one is especially a beauty. What does the crown measure on that one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo