Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russet vs Seal

Forrest

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the input, gents. I'll post a picture of my new Russet Aero Californian later this weekend. Cheers.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You know Craig I just got hold of some heavy steer cordovan, my goodness, what a leather! Erm, now back to the news Russet for me is like a blond, seal more brunette, I happen to like both. But this cordovan mamma mia!

And do you have any plans for this cordovan that you're willing to share with the congregation? :D I tried on Aero's Hippy Jacket (rememberthatargument?) and I gotta say, I thought it looked pretty good, just as I said previously, but it was made of what I can only assume was super heavy steer and dear god it was stiff! I could barely move my arms!!:eeek:

Forrest

Familiar Face
Here are some photos. The first two are the new russet goatskin Aero Californian I picked up. The last is my Sears Hercules halfbelt in seal horsehide.

Cheers.

Here are some photos. The first two are the new russet goatskin Aero Californian I picked up. The last is my Sears Hercules halfbelt in seal horsehide...
Worf and the other members who commented about complexion, hair color, etc., being a deciding factor when selecting colors for clothing are spot-on. Having such a direct comparison of the two colors available, in my opinion the russet favors you slightly more, but both of those jackets look good on you and appear to fit perfectly. :eusa_clap

Forrest

Familiar Face
Forrest that Sears holds up well to the Aero. Who Knew?
The russet more business/professional looking and the seal rock and roll.
This particular model of Sears Hercules seems to be the one that Aero based its 50s Halfbelt patterns on. There were other makers out there, but this seems remarkably similar. Bill Kelso's Westfall jacket is also based on a Sears Hercules original.

Forrest

Familiar Face
Still can't decide. The Hercules is an awesome jacket, but it fits a bit big on me in all honesty. It is a 40, but I typically wear a 38. I'm aiming to keep one of them and sell the other. I have a few other leather jackets that I like a lot, so I don't need two halfbelts. Any other opinions out there?

Interesting that you find the Herc large. From the photos they seem to fit similarly. Maybe it's the warm indoor lighting, but I think the darker seal suits you better. Take a shot of the 2 outside, and maybe the russet will look better, I dunno...
If you are to sell the Herc, give me a PM!!! :). :)

Forrest

Familiar Face
The Hercules fits fine unzipped, but zipped it is too large in the chest on me. I would want a jacket of this style to have a very lean, trim fit, which the Aero does (although the arms holes are a bit over-sized). The only thing stopping me from selling the Hercules is just how scarce they are in this condition. But hey, what's the point in hoarding it and not actually wearing it?

pauleway

Practically Family
Both jackets look like a good fit, the collar on the Herc looks a little large (too long) but as far as what goes with your complexion, cloths-etc., I just go with what I like!

Found those pics of the patched russet hide after 1 year of wear. I remember being told this was "red russett" Japanese horse hide, but it doesn't look that red in the pics;

Russet_HH_06.jpg

Russet_HH_03.jpg

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Any of the brown Aero heavy HH exert a hypnotic influence on me. I could wax quite lyrical on them. My own is a funny color, darker than dark russet, rusty but not red, redder than seal. If I wear it out at sunset I am sometimes quite embarrased at how beautiful it is. Every else walking their dog is wearing a tracksuit top.

Forrest

Familiar Face
Jeff, beautiful leather on that one. Highwaymanman, I get what you're saying. The brown FQHH Aero uses seems quite special. Maybe it is a good middle ground between russet and seal.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Jeff, beautiful leather on that one. Highwaymanman, I get what you're saying. The brown FQHH Aero uses seems quite special. Maybe it is a good middle ground between russet and seal.

Very much so, but there's a pretty decent amount of variation within that hide category too. I've seen milk chocolate to dark seal in color.

Marv

A-List Customer
Found those pics of the patched russet hide after 1 year of wear. I remember being told this was "red russett" Japanese horse hide, but it doesn't look that red in the pics;

Russet_HH_06.jpg

Russet_HH_03.jpg

Looking at the colour of the hide in the photos, it is very similar in shade to my GW RW27752 in seal so I guess there is a fine line between what would be classed a dark/russet and light seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24