Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russet vs Seal

Forrest

Familiar Face
What are your preferences, gentlemen? Russet or Seal? One of each?

I just picked up a Russet Brown goatskin Aero. Fit is amazing. Color? Not sure yet. All my other jackets are Seal. Does one look better on you than another? Wanted to know where your preferences lie.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Usually darker russet, but I went for a seal brown BK A-1 this time and found that it's far more versatile for work (much more subtle).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Russet for casual/summer, seal for work/winter.

I would tend to agree that russet is more casual than seal, which was the primary reason I made a last minute (week) decision to have my Pioneer made with seal goat rather than russet since I plan to wear the Pioneer to work with slacks, dress shirt and tie. The seal simply works better and is more versatile for work, as pointed out by Dr H. HOWEVER, neither russet nor seal works for summer in N Texas for obvious reasons. :flame: Today is October 4th, and the weather is finally cooling down a bit as we expect a high of only 92 degrees. ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Russet... and the lighter the better. To me it's all about contrast. With my errrrr.... "melanin situation" Seal is just too dark. Like certain baskeball and football players tatting up. It mebbe there but you can't make it out. I've some black leather jackets but that's darker than me and seems to work. Seal's just too close to my coloration and makes me look... like a UPS man, if I wear Brown slacks.

Putting my money where my mouth is. Ken Calder's making me an A2 out of Antique Russet as we speak. When it arrives I'll be able to show you what I mean.

Worf

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I like both, and I don't think I would hesitate to wear a russet jacket anywhere that I could wear a seal one with collar and tie. I would certainly consider the seal to be a touch more muted, however, perhaps a little more flexible in terms of tonal range of clothing with which I would match it.

Foster

One of the Regulars
There are numerous factors I consider when approaching this topic. Worf already addressed one of them - complexion is a factor. Hair color, weight, height, other apparel worn with it, even the surroundings make a difference for me. Like Fanch, I am in a warmer area so I do not have Sloan's luxury of wearing one color in warmer months and the other in winter - around here jackets for me are all Fall-Winter-Spring timeframe.

Some of my thoughts, based on the subject and surroundings.

For me, the russet seems to make me look more slender and the seal makes me look a little heavier (not sure why).

I like russet when I will be out in the countryside, but seal in urban settings.

Also I prefer seal with denim / jeans, but russet when wearing khaki slacks.

simonc

Practically Family
You know Craig I just got hold of some heavy steer cordovan, my goodness, what a leather! Erm, now back to the news Russet for me is like a blond, seal more brunette, I happen to like both. But this cordovan mamma mia!

You can't have too many colors in the closet. That said, for my skin tone, it's hard to find those that I love. Some seal looks awful on me. Some really light russets do too.
So far, my two favorite colors on me are the dark seal Shinki Ventura and the FQHH HBD in brown. I also loved a russet A-2 I had from Aero that I had to sell due to the pits-too-small issue.
Get what you like, and just be honest with yourself on how it looks. If you like it, you'll wear it. If you don't…you won't.

Stand By

One Too Many
I think it gets back to what one thinks of when one thinks of an A2 in one's mind - so that, I suspect, gets back to our first times of seeing these jackets in films (for me The Great Escape probably) and on the TV (Hogans Heroes, Sole Survivor etc) and when we first admired what we saw.

I think that it also gets in to a particular period of time/field of interest and why we identify with it - for whatever reason that may be.
By that, I mean that - to me - a russet A2 (like the red-skin B-3 and B-6) speaks solely of the early years of the USAAF's involvement in WW2 - and with that I tend to think of the 8th AF in England and how they were the first to be in the real thick of things, so to speak - and that in turn brings with it a certain aura of character - as it speaks to me of bravery in spite of a distinct lack of experience (and fighter support!).
The seal A2 speaks to me of a later time and has a more seasoned look - like the fliers who wore them - and in other theatres.

Which do I prefer?
As Sloan says, have both if at all possible as they make for two rather different looks - and to me, the ELC Werber, with it's lighter tones of skin and knit, "says" Mediterranean Theatre of Operations, namely the desert - for whatever reason. I rather suspect that it's because I saw Sole Survivor (with the crashed B-25 in the desert) on the telly as a kid and I really loved it - and the look and feel of it imprinted itself on to me as it all really appealed to me then - and always will.
So as such, a lighter-toned A2 would be more for milder temperatures and says more "summer" to me, so I'd pair it with light khakis and desert boots... and a seal brown one, being dark, says more autumn/winter season and I'd wear that more with jeans and darker, heavier Blundstones.

So to me, one isn't better than the other - it's just a personal thing and of what the colours/hues "say" to the wearer.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+2:eusa_clap
Seals look quite the same despite the fact that some are darker (noticeable only when you place them side by side) while there is a wide range of colour that is categorized as russet (red, orange, some very close to tan even). Assuming we are talking about A-2s only. Those are just the "original A-2" colour. There are a few tan colour but I wonder if anyone has a cordovan colour A-2 here.

Last edited:
Speaking of red russet....a photo of a Good Wear A2 made from a "red russet" HH. Unfortunately not offered any longer;

3f2b0f0b53a9c3c8715206b9735b8f09.jpg

6c056ad4e1ee97bf7add90f4e63dfdd6.jpg
[/quote]

(Now my jacket, but at the time TFL forum member Alan's.)

There is a great shot on this forum of a red russett Good Wear after a bit of time patched with a 508th FS patch that I just can't seem to find. If anybody else can pull pull it up I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails