Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russian re-enacting.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
Hmm, maybe not such a harsh reaction? How's the re-enactment scene in Germany...?

They have the same laws against swastikas, etc.
I'm told thats why there are german tourists who fly to American reenactments & living history events. They cant do it at home.

At Reading Air show, Ive seen kids reenacting Hitler Youth....its creepy.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
Maybe someone should start a new thread asking what periods/regimes/conflicts people think it's absolutely wrong to re-enact!

The last thread with a similar topic got locked down.

Best to concentrate on the positive.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
The Russians had a cool way to clear minefields. They had soldiers who shirked their duties and put them in "Penalty Battalions". They would make the shirkers link arms and walk across minefields. To say the Russians were motivated soldiers is an understatement !

matei

One Too Many
deanglen said:
Interesting! I have always agreed with Patton, we fight them now, or we fight them later. President Putin case in point. Not looking good for the future.

dean

Regarding Patton taking on the Soviet Union in the aftermath of WWII... thankfully cooler heads prevailed. I don't think it would've worked out well for either side.

Rather :eek:fftopic: , but how do you figure "case in point" with President Putin? He was one of the first leaders to offer the US assistance in the aftermath of the 11 September attacks.

MrBern said:
Good point. And ya gotta love that Wall they erected afterwards.

It was the East Germans who put up the wall, not the Soviets.

jawisher

Familiar Face
Hmm. East Germany was a client, puppet state occupied by the Soviet Union. I think it is fair to characterize all East German policy, including the Berlin Wall, was "Soviet policy".

As far as Putin, well, he is a well-known anti-democratic ruler, with designs on expanding Russian power. I think there are good reasons for not being a fan of his-- whether you're Russian or not.

However, I do agree that going to war with them in 1945 was not a good idea. The notion that we would have to fight them "sooner or later" has been proven wrong by events. The Soviet Union collapsed under its own weight without us firing a shot, and there is no reason to think that war with Russia is inevitable now.

rogaleo

New in Town
poor kittens...

Story said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/16/AR2008041600603.html

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian prosecutors are investigating a group of military history enthusiasts for extremism because they staged a World War Two re-enactment featuring a tank with German army insignia.

Prosecutors say a replica Panzer 38(t) tank, which took part in a mock battle in central Siberia with a World War Two-era black and white cross stenciled on its side, was in breach of a law outlawing Nazi symbols.

The enthusiasts who staged the event say the allegations are absurd and accuse prosecutors of failing to understand the point of a historical re-enactment.

They're chasing some boys in fake german tank while the country is infested with real nazis.

Type "russian nazis" in google and you'll be avalanched with horrendous news about rebirth of nazism and nationalism in Russia.

http://www.javno.com/en/world/clanak.php?id=160488

Also including this one:

But please, dont watch the video!!! it's too terrible. Also I don't agree with all statements of the article especially about Stalin's role, but the author gives a good analysis of russian nazi scene

http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/2007/08/russian-neo-nazi-beheading-video.html

matei said:
It was the East Germans who put up the wall, not the Soviets.
Matei, you're from Romania. Was Romania fully indepentent state in communist times, or orders were coming from Kremlin? let's not be naive..

Story

I'll Lock Up
A WWII reenactment in Russia

One from a series at http://englishrussia.com/?p=1747
16.jpg

Life imitates art, art imitates life
SovietPictures020.jpg

http://www.allworldwars.com/Soviet War Paintings.html

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
foot wraps were very common in all of Europe up until about WWII and remained so in very poor areas until well after the war.

Russian did have boots. In the winter they (like some other northern countries) wear a wool felt boot that has no sole, it is a lot like a giant thick stiff sock. Higher up the foodchain you got to wear rubber galoshes over them. If it was cold and dry enough though you did not need the galoshes.

Story

I'll Lock Up
They've seen service in the Seven Years war, the Napoleonic wars, the Crimean war and two world wars – in fact, in every war the Russian army has fought since the 17th century. But by the end of this year, they'll be history. Portyanki, the squares of cloth (cotton for summer, flannel for winter) in which Russian soldiers have wrapped their feet since the days of Peter the Great, have lost their last and greatest battle – against socks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2013/jan/16/russian-soldiers-replacing-foot-wraps-socks

CISO1969

New in Town
In addition to the calve height boots that were similar to jack boots, the Russian soldier in WWII wore ankle boots with puttees (wool wraps that they spiral wrapped from top of ankle boot , over the calve and stopping below the knee. It was a mainstay in uniform design from WW I through WWII in many armies.

I used to re-enact many time periods from Rev War to Vietnam. Toward the end I did mainly Living History displays for the public and at Memorial day functions.

I did reenact a Soviet Guards unit back in the late 1980's early 90's for Easetrn front events--also been to Lowell quite a few times as it's a state park that seems to be "reenactor friendly"

1930artdeco

Practically Family
At Reading Air show, Ive seen kids reenacting Hitler Youth....its creepy.[/QUOTE]

When I was reenacting at Reading a group of German reenactors started singing beer hall songs at the dance. That went over like a lead balloon with the WWII vets there. But they did not catch on and kept singing. I have also met a german 109 pilot who was a guest of the Russians for several years after the war. He was a locksmith in NY and was very nice, not a die hard NAZI at all. But then again I did not really delve to deep.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran