Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUSSIAN USHANKA WINTER HAT/CAP LEATHER OFFICERS 57-58 VGC (1950-60s)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
VINTAGE OFFICER'S LEATHER USHANKA (WINTER HAT)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190810030733?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Size 57-58.

Dating from the 1950s/1960s this is a high quality, tailored issued uniform winter cap.

The iconic ushanka is forever associated with the red army during WW2. Infantrymen wore roughly made grey woollen caps faced with 'fishfur' (synthetic fur) and padded cotton interiors (I have one of these myself for winter use and the ushanka that I am offering here is of a far higher quality suggesting that it was produced for an officer).

The shell of this ushanka is tailored from mid brown sheepskin leather with tightly curled silver-grey Astrakhan wool facings (from the fleece of the hardy Karakul sheep). The ear flaps are fastened with brown cotton tapes.

The front of the cap bears a subdued green enamelled five-pointed star with a hammer and sickle to the centre. Unlike the infantryman, the officers and commissars were issued with green subdued badges to be less conspicuous for enemy snipers.

The interior of the ushanka is pale blue silk and finely produced with higher quality materials than the corresponding serviceman's hat.

The ushanka originally purchased from a long-time collector of militaria on the West Coast of the USA and is a genuine item (produced 50+ years ago), not one of the modern reproductions that abound on EBay. The star was purchased with the ushanka, but I cannot guarantee that the two were originally issued together. The profile of the hat suggests that is likely to have been issued post war during the 1950s or 1960s.

Further images can be seen on Photobucket: http://s867.beta.photobucket.com/user/Dr_H/library/Leather ushanka.

Ideal for re-enactors, display or for regular cold weather use.

From a smoke-free home.

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
You've got a great item here! I'm a huge fan of Ushankas and Red Army memorabilia. You should be able to sell this in no time. Best of luck to you my friend!:cool:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thank you - it's in A1 condition, but just a shade small on me. I have my wartime serviceman's 'fish fur' ushanka for the cold weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo