Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rustic 1930s Movies

Mojito

One Too Many
Fascinated when I found this in my grandfather's photographs, documenting life in rural New South Wales and Queensland. It's sort of the polar opposite to those breathtakingly beautiful Art Deco picture palaces of the 20s and 30s.

Here we have Gwabegar's rustic answer to the picture palace. In case you're curious as to where Gwabegar is, it's 139kms South West of Narrabri and is 97kms from Wee Waa, which I'm sure clarifies matters (North West New South Wales).

Sheehanfamily002.jpg

My grandfather's caption:

"The "Talkies" in Gwabegar staged here on April 28th 1936"

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's photo's a real treasure, Mojito. My wife's got family we visit regularly out in Baradine and Coonabarabran, and her grandfather was a saddler and leather craftsman. The do-it-yourself pioneering Aussie spirit is really evident in places like that even today, and as your photo shows, it was in full-flight back in the "good old days".

You must have discovered some fantastic photos in your Grandfather's collection.

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks for the feedback!

Benny, I was rather hoping that an Australian might comment - I'm delighted you did so. It's not a part of the state I'm familiar with, but my grandfather taught there so it is a focus of much of the local history material he gathered. I've thought about getting in touch with anyone who has an interest in local history out there, as there a good many depictions of bush institutions, industry and practices from the period, and I don't know how well these smaller towns are documented.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Antipodean village cinema

That's great!

My Grandfather, when he was farming during wartime, back in New Zealand,
had the "village cinema" in his Brooder house. Ex-brooder house is probably more correct, he gave up the chicken farming and continued with dairy.
Rural North West Auckland.

This rectangular shack, had a screen the size of the end wall, seats and you guessed it, a projector. I remember seeing the screen at the end of that shed when I was a kid and the shed was full of interesting junk, back in the '70s.
My Grandad was also somewhat of an inventor, worked for Otis Elevators in the early days and made very loud fireworks(bangers) from rubber milking cups.

B
T

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojito said:
Thanks for the feedback!

Benny, I was rather hoping that an Australian might comment - I'm delighted you did so. It's not a part of the state I'm familiar with, but my grandfather taught there so it is a focus of much of the local history material he gathered. I've thought about getting in touch with anyone who has an interest in local history out there, as there a good many depictions of bush institutions, industry and practices from the period, and I don't know how well these smaller towns are documented.

I'll be out at Baradine again April 18-22 for a 90th birthday party (including an overnight trip to Western Plains Zoo at Dubbo!), so I'll ask about local documentation while I'm out there. I'm sure there are some local historians who have documented the history of the wood mills and industry that grew around the Pilliga Scrub. I'll let you know if I find out about any groups that would be interested in hearing about your treasures.

RBH

Bartender
That is a cool photo.
I remember my grandparents talking about the 'picture show' coming to their little community here in Arkansas [in the late 30's and early 40's] and sitting up. After seeing your photo I would think it was close to what is pictured there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart