Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad Story...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i may have a line on one for a pretty darn good price...don't know the condition yet though. what do you all think about this car?
here is a pic i found of a '41...

41Plymouth.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the '41 is the best looking of all the Plymouth coupes of that era. I'd love to find a nice one. I did find a large die-cast model, so that'll have to do for now.

Mechanically, they're simple, rugged and reliable.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
My dad used to have one, but he sold it before I was born. I wish he hadn't. I've been keeping an eye out for one to restore for a few years now.

Good luck to you.

-Allen

Chas

One Too Many
Nice. I have a certain amount of experience with old cars, so feel free to PM me with anything that you think I might be able to help with.

You need to know certain things about it.

Are there matching #'s? All original? These will seriously affect the overall value; not that there is $$ to be made from "flipping" it or anything, but there are some things to consider; insurance, etc. etc.

Check with the Plymouth message boards; I am not overly familiar with this car, but every model of every make has its "Achilles Heel". Meaning, where rust tends to happen first and worst. EVERY old car has rust, so don't get turned off by a little surface stuff.

PM me with any pics and questions you might have; better yet, I will PM you my regular email address.

It never hurts to be good friends with a metal fabricator, or skilled welder. Trust me on this....

Flivver

Practically Family
For whatever reason, Chrysler products of this era tend to sell for far less than their GM and Ford counterparts.

I think that it is because in some years Chrysler products had somewhat dowdy styling (1937-8 for example).

But the 1941 Plymouth was a handsome car...far from dowdy. And Chrysler products from this era are simple, easy to work on and absolutely reliable. They can also hold their own in modern traffic which many vintage cars can't do.

In my opinion, 1940s Chrysler products are among the "best kept secrets" of the old car world. They are an absolute bargain in todays market!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
"Forgotten Man" here is a walking Plymouth encyclopedia.

I learned to drive stick in a 40 Plymouth, and dove it from Austin TX to Ohio one summer. :) You could see the road rushing by under your feet!

K

kpreed

I had a 1941 Plymouth and my day to day driver was a 1940 Plymouth P-10 Business Coupe. I find these a pretty good car and a bunch less then other makes, yet parts are still around. If it is a good price and in good shape, I myself would go for it. Let us know what you do and if I can help in any way if you get it. Good Luck!

Chas

One Too Many
Wasn't meant to be, Sam. It's just like it is with dames.

That pm you sent me about the rear end of the car gave me pause anyway. I assume you want an all-original.

Now, THIS.... I would go for it myself, except I am starting up a business and am short on scratch for the moment. She needs work but this is reeealy nice.

ebay item #330203012582

With a caveat- interior work is a B***H! Better to get it done professionally.
I'm assuming as well that you have a garage and tools....

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Chas said:
That pm you sent me about the rear end of the car gave me pause anyway. I assume you want an all-original.

With a caveat- interior work is a B***H! Better to get it done professionally.
I'm assuming as well that you have a garage and tools....

correct on both counts except i would like to rod it a little. original is fantastic but i always liked a little rodding...some people go waaaaaay too far with custom rodding and it looks really ridiculous. but a little is not too bad...:D
i dont think simple rodding like this hurts too much because it is mostly original:

41Plymouth2.jpg

but this, noooo:

41Plymouth3.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Sorry this one slipped by you, Sam, that's a sharp car. I've still got an unbuilt AMT 1/25-scale kit of one hanging around that I never started because my skills weren't yet worthy of such a fine subject. I think I have a little insight as to why early MoPar prices aren't up there with the Fords and Chevrolets - engine swapping and parts availability.

Fords, of course, largely came with V8s and while Chevrolet had sixers there's a bit more room in the engine compartment when swapping in a bellybutton motor (that's 262-400ci Chevrolet V8 for the uninitiated). MoPar engine compartments are set up great for the old flathead sixes they used in those years, but if you try to go to a MoPar V8 there's usually not enough room without setting the engine up real high. Of course numbers of these cars get bastardized with Chevrolet-swaps and Mustang II front suspensions, which is unfortunate.

But why not more? That's my second point, parts availability. The restoration and hot rod market is flooded with parts to fit early Fords and to a slightly lesser extent Chevrolets, but the MoPars, "other" GM products, and Independents are more or less ignored. That, in my opinion, is what keeps prices down. The styling is right up there with the Fords and Chevrolets, to be sure (at least until the second-series '49s rolled around, those are more of an acquired taste).

Good luck as the hunt rolls on. If you do locate another prewar Chrysler and want to hop her up a bit, I have it on reliable authority that the bigger flathead sixes they produced in the late fifties and early sixties will drop right in without too much trouble at all.

-Dave

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
anyone want to hear a sad story? here goes...

so my father and grandfather(mothers dad) were pretty chummy back in the mid 70's when my folks got hitched and hung out alot. in Sacramento, CA he and my grandfather were doing something for an old lady and open up her garage and what is sitting there?

55olds.jpg

yes...in that condition or better. she drove it to the store and back until one day it wouldn't start. she even had plastic covers on the seats. it needed a starter. my grandfather bought it from her for.........$300. my father ran down and got a starter, put it in and they drove off. my father, not being selfish, kind of expected my granfather to sell him the car...or give it to him.

nope. he gave it to his son, my mothers brother, of course. [huh]...thats not the sad part...my uncle used it as a daily family car with his wife and 2 young boys...and it began to wear out until...it got a car cover put on it in his garage in the mid 80's and then out in the driveway until they moved up to Susanville, CA and my uncle died and it now sits, uncovered, next to my cousins house in the rain, snow and freezing weather...a rusty, depressing sight...

i offered to buy it from my uncle when it was out in his driveway in the late 90's where it was rusting and not running and he wanted $10k...yah right...sad eh? i think so too...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
The restoration and hot rod market is flooded with parts to fit early Fords and to a slightly lesser extent Chevrolets, but the MoPars, "other" GM products, and Independents are more or less ignored. That, in my opinion, is what keeps prices down.
This tells me one thing: the gang in the high school parking lot talking FordChevyFordChevy 40+ years ago is the core of the hobby right to this day.

OK, one other thought. Nothing is less sexy than a middle-class car. There will always be love for the common man's ride and for 12 cylinder custom-coach bodied concourse queens, but yesterday's Oldsmobuicks and Dodgesotos are today's dowdy minivans.

Chas

One Too Many
There' a guy here in the suburbs of Vancouver letting 3 of those Oldsmobiles rot in the rain, and won't sell them. Not even for parts; which, in about another couple of years, will be all they will be good for. There's another crazy old coot in East Vancouver with a pair of 1937 Ford pickups. Mint. Complete. And he freaks out every time somebody knocks on his door about them. My answer to him was: find a closed garage, sell them, post a sign, or get on medication.

Shootin's too good fer them.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Chas said:
There' a guy here in the suburbs of Vancouver letting 3 of those Oldsmobiles rot in the rain, and won't sell them. Not even for parts; which, in about another couple of years, will be all they will be good for. There's another crazy old coot in East Vancouver with a pair of 1937 Ford pickups. Mint. Complete. And he freaks out every time somebody knocks on his door about them. My answer to him was: find a closed garage, sell them, post a sign, or get on medication.

Shootin's too good fer them.

i'm going to try and make a deal with my cousin...if he won't sell it to me for 5k or under, which is about what its worth, then im going to bring it up here to restore it then if he wants to see we can split it...we're family. i hope he is sensible. he just had another set of twins...with 3 boys and a girl there is no way he is restoring that thing...i want it!!
and in sacramento there is a lot of about 40 or 50 Edsels rotting...

Chas

One Too Many
No car that requires complete resto is worth that much. No matter what ANYONE tells you. Family or no. This cat is greeedy. I don't mean to speak ill of your family or anything like that. He may be trying to soak you.

A car that has been sitting in a field will probably have huge problems, and issues you can't see by looking at it. Besides, it's not really your car. You like 30's coupes. So go take a warm bath, and think it over. After you do, you will find that you should save your $$ for your car. Your 30s coupe. Don't let that last "one that got away" send you into some kind of "I must have an old car NOW" frame of thinking. I have been there. I know how you might be feeling.

Only a handful of cars are worth $10k that have been sitting in the rain. They are:

57 Bel Airs (I hate them, but you can get more than that for one. Flip it)
59 Cadillac El Dorado Convertibles ($150k when fully restored)
41 Ford Deluxe Coupes
32 Ford Highboy
37 Plymouth Zephyr
Willys Coupes (I never understood their popularity)
Ford Woody Wagons

Wait for your car, matey.

Fletch said:
This tells me one thing: the gang in the high school parking lot talking FordChevyFordChevy 40+ years ago is the core of the hobby right to this day.

Yes. And they were full of s**t then, and they're full of s**t now.

For quantity, there is Ford and Chev. But Cadillacs and Buicks are overall better cars. The Cadillac V8 and the Nailhead were far, far superior engines. Even the Buick Fireball 8 is better than a flathead. And we must NEVER forget the Olds Rocket 88. They didn't write more songs about Caddies and Olds for nothing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff