Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddle shoes

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Funny, I forgot all about them having saddle shoes, but I wore almost nothing but these (from payless) and converse my senior year of high school. Glad they still have them!
I was about to order them from Payless when I had a moment of wondering if I'm too old for them. Then I remembered that I still wear Converse all the time so I guess there's no difference. I just placed my order :)

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I was wondering if those of you who own the Payless saddle shoes could weigh in on how comfortable they are? My husband and I are taking dance classes in January (yay!), and I desperately need a pair of shoes that will stay on my feet and not be too uncomfortable (plus be cute. Always a requirement. haha!). I was thinking of picking these up to tide me over until I can invest in a bit better dance footwear going forward.

Thanks bunches in advance!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I have saddle shoes from Payless and think they're pretty comfortable. That said, I have never done any dancing in them, so I can't help you out much there. Since they're so reasonable, I would say to give them a shot.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I bought a pair of them for my first social dancing shoes. They were okay when I was dancing just a couple hours a week in them, but as I danced more and more (eventually up to 5 nights a week), they got uncomfortable. I eventually put a pair of cushioned insoles in them and they were better, but still not my favorite shoes.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I use mine as walking around shoes, like most people use sneakers. They've been very comfortable for me, but I've never danced in them. I only dance in heels.

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
Thank you for your opinions, ladies! :) I think I'm probably going to just start out with these, since I don't have any other suitable dancing shoes in my closet at the moment.

MissMeraRose

New in Town
I just love my saddle shoes! I think they're super comfortable and go great with plenty of outfits.
bdgsaddleshoe.jpg

zombi

A-List Customer
Inky said:
anyway, I called Muffy's and talked to a really nice gentleman and after some discussion and going back and forth regarding fit and my particular needs....

So I would measure your foot carefully at home or at a shoe store on a Brannock Device then talk to the folks at Muffy's to determine what best will fit you. It'll be worth it - I love mine so much I am saving up for the green and white ones!
I have been wanting to order some saddles from Muffy's but my feet are usually dreadful to fit -- they are two different sizes and I usually have to try on various pairs to see which foot can deal with the poor-fitting shoe the best, the good one or the bad one. I am not made of money so usually buying two pair is out of the question.

I will try measuring my feet on one of those thingies and then calling them! I hadn't thought of that; thanks!

zendy

A-List Customer
MissMeraRose said:
I just love my saddle shoes! I think they're super comfortable and go great with plenty of outfits.
bdgsaddleshoe.jpg
These look so unique, are they vintage?

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Never to old

I've read through the thread and I have to tell you girls, you are NEVER to old to wear saddles. I'm 52 and I wear mine in the Spring and Fall..mostly.
I don't keep to a vintage style all the time so I sport them with just current style jeans and T's. I get alot of comments. Men seem to really like them (go figure).

I purchased mine on Ebay. They have a plaid fabric lining. They could be Payless brand, I'm not sure.

My mother (who's 81 now) wore hers with bobby socks, rolled jeans and my grandfather's flannel shirt. I do the same thing.

Miss Bunny

New in Town
I ordered a pair off the 'net and UPS says they are sitting on my doorstep right now. Can't wait to get home and try them on - I haven't had a pair in about 25 years or so.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I am a firm believer in the virtues of a quality saddle shoe. I am on my second pair of the brand Willits. My first pair was by Capezio, which was definitely softer and comfortable right away. They made it a solid 2 years. My first pair of Willits I purchased in 1996 and retired last year. I just need to get these broken in and I can look forward to another 13 years of service. Wow, I wonder how that cost per wear breaks down? I think they were in the 80ish region this time.

Edited to say: Thank you Inky for mentioning the break-in technique,which had completely slipped my mind. These have been sitting in the box for the past year unworn. I didn't think I could make it for a whole day in them, and now I remember I never started out with a whole day.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
I am a firm believer in the virtues of a quality saddle shoe. I am on my second pair of the brand Willits. My first pair was by Capezio, which was definitely softer and comfortable right away. They made it a solid 2 years. My first pair of Willits I purchased in 1996 and retired last year. I just need to get these broken in and I can look forward to another 13 years of service.
The ones I posted above are Willits as well. Here's lovely Ava Gardner in saddle shoes:
agardner1%2BCOLOR.jpg

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Shearer said:
I'll second a recommendation for Muffy's, but per Kitty's post, the communication may not be that great.

I haven't had any trouble with them (except they can't keep the saddles I want in stock!) and like Lizzie said, they hold up extremely well with a polish every now and again.

The other shoe that might be cute is a Mary Jane. Muffy's (geez, I'm like a Muffy's ad) has a few different types... this is the one I like:

sandal.jpg

Mary Janes are good cause they willl give you a vintage-y look, but you can still find them just about anywhere nowadays.

Thank you for posting this. I found a pair of oxblood mary janes by Dr. Martin's at Ross for $15 so I got them, I wasn't aware that they are a vintage style. I'm always looking for vintage styled casual shoes, nice to know I have a pair! I also really want a pair of saddle shoes, but I'll need to wait on those.

Avalon

A-List Customer
I'm so glad I popped in here. For some reason I had it in my head that Payless only had saddle shoes for kids! Now I can't wait to stop by there soon. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner