Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

Renault

One Too Many
And this is in the works - another 1909 Argentine action that is destined to become a .318 Westley Richards (that greatest of calibers :eusa_clap). It has a copy of Rigby's adjustable cocking piece rear sight. Waiting on the barrel to come from Krieger then we're off to the races.

IMG_0871small.jpg

I installed one of those sights on a customers Oberndorf "S". They are very nice!
This years primary elk rifle. Husqvarna 146, 9.3 x 57. Old classic Weaver K-3 scope

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
My only hunt this year, I fear, will be as porter/skinner for my partner who drew a coveted California cow elk tag. However, I will make a serious effort to get to Prince William Island next spring for black bear. There is a chance that I will finish my Krag conversion by then but if not then I will be carrying a, yes, .318 WR. Mine was made around '39 by Greener and is referred to as the 'Game Park Warden' model.

It is, indeed, the greatest of calibers . . . after the .375, that is.:cool:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I love it and it handles beautifully. However, it does need a new front sight. Even with the rear screwed down as far as it goes it still shoots a foot high at 100 yards. I can compensate for that but it's a nuisance so it goes to the local smith (who I trust just about this much) to get a new blade. I wouldn't let him do much else but that I figure he can manage. I'll give him a box of ammo to check it out with. I really want it about 2" high at a hundred.

wellofsouls

New in Town
I love it and it handles beautifully. However, it does need a new front sight. Even with the rear screwed down as far as it goes it still shoots a foot high at 100 yards. I can compensate for that but it's a nuisance so it goes to the local smith (who I trust just about this much) to get a new blade. I wouldn't let him do much else but that I figure he can manage. I'll give him a box of ammo to check it out with. I really want it about 2" high at a hundred.

Do you handload? Might be a solution, or a partial one anyway. I understand the old Kynoch stuff was a few hundred fps slower, although I doubt that would give you 12" at 100 yards...

I love that Greener...sweet lines. I thought it was a Jeffery at first, looking at the shape of the grip.

And that Husky - that has to be the nicest stock design of any Husqvarna I've seen. And you gotta love K-3's - I have 3 of them in a box, waiting for custom projects. They're actually really cheap now on eBay. You have a nice arsenal!

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The only way you can shoot a .318 is to handload. Kynoch ammunition is prohibitively dear. Heck, even the bullets are bad unless you go to Graf and get the ones designed for the Hungarian. Traditionally, a .318 is loaded with a 250 grain softnose that doesn't even slow down going through an animal. The exit wounds are awe inspiring ! The Hungarian shoots a 200 grainer. At something over 2500 ft. sec. it ought to do just about anything in N. America. The 250 will do anything in Africa below the Dangerous Seven and you can easily take both cats with it if they aren't pissed off. Stopping a charge is best done with something around .45 caliber or larger though my PH the last time I went to Mozambique saved my ornery skin very neatly with a .416.

Renault

One Too Many
Sarge. PM me a pic of your front sight on that Greener if you would please.

Well,

I get k-3's dirt cheap when they come in on used pieces!!!! Nobody here wants them 'cept us old types who appreciate them!!! That way if I get one that ain't too workable, I'm not out much.
Again. Love that little 7 x 57!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I can do that. Actually, I could fairly easily send it to you. I've got access to rifle boxes, in fact, I believe I've got one lying around. Let me look.

Yanno, I had a 146 once upon a time. Whoever designed the stock on that little gem must have apprenticed to an English stocker. It is so slick and quick-handling. I had it rechambered to 9.4x62 and light as it was, it was a serious pocket rocket. I sold it to an old school friend who wanted an elk/moose rifle up Puget Sound way but his health went south and I doubt he ever made the trip before he died. Some day I want another though I'm hanged if I can figure what I'd do with it that I can't already do.

wellofsouls

New in Town
The only way you can shoot a .318 is to handload.

Well, this is true - I forgot temporarily we were talking about a .318 and was getting out into "iron sight advice" land in my mind.

I am buying up bags of the Hornady 200 grain soft points from Graf and also from Buffalo Arms - they're nice bullets and I'm sure will be great hunting rounds. I want to find a custom bullet maker here in the US that can turn me out several hundred 250 gr. RN soft points at a "less than Woodleigh" price point. Know of any custom bullet makers that could do this?

wellofsouls

New in Town
Sarge. PM me a pic of your front sight on that Greener if you would please.

Well,

I get k-3's dirt cheap when they come in on used pieces!!!! Nobody here wants them 'cept us old types who appreciate them!!! That way if I get one that ain't too workable, I'm not out much.
Again. Love that little 7 x 57!

Thanks! I got a (new) Weaver K-2.5 for it, and now you just about can't get those. I have seen a couple but they're matte finished. I also scored a Griffin and Howe sidemount with a minty Lyman Alaskan in it from a feller on Nitro Express, and can't decide what to put it on. I'm thinking a 35 Whelen on the Springfield action I've been saving.

The claw mounts, by the way are from www.clawmounts.com - they're silver soldered on, and he does a gorgeous job. They're a perfect mounting system and don't require any modifications to the action. They look like double square bridges until you really squint. He's tested them up to .375 level recoil with no problems.

wellofsouls

New in Town
Now if only he made those for O/U rifles or combination guns . . .

He's a very talented machinist and really understands claw mount geometry, but I think once you get into soldering ribs you quickly winnow the field down to a very few guys. I'd send my DR to NECG, and have them do a traditional job. (For a traditional price!)

Justin B

One Too Many
You know, I went and read through this thread from beginning to end and it's solidified my desire to get back to hunting again.About the only hunting I've done in many, many years is hogs and paper targets very far away. So here's my question to you fine gents: What's a good all purpose rifle, based on cost, utility, reliability, and availability? I've got some long range stuff, but I don't figure on taking my .338 Lapua mag on a hunt as she's too delicate a bird.

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
Pretty hard to beat a pre-64 M70 in 30-06. If you want more of a classic express type rifle, look for a Sedgley (1903 action in 30-06) or a Griffin and Howe in 30-06 or 7x57. As much as I appreciate the power of the 375 H&H I don't think it's a practical caliber to hunt with, plink with or feed here in the us.

Last edited:

wellofsouls

New in Town
You know, I went and read through this thread from beginning to end and it's solidified my desire to get back to hunting again.About the only hunting I've done in many, many years is hogs and paper targets very far away. So here's my question to you fine gents: What's a good all purpose rifle, based on cost, utility, reliability, and availability? I've got some long range stuff, but I don't figure on taking my .458 Lapua mag on a hunt as she's too delicate a bird.

As much fun as I have playing with different loads, the answer to that question is always going to be 30-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran