Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

Renault

One Too Many
Mike, that is one classy rifle. I bet it does handle those 220's justfine!!!!!!!! Papa Hemingway would be proud!!!!

Hunt, ol' boy........ Will miss you next weekend as I was going to drag out one of the "medium bore" Mausers! Was looking forward to shooting that new one of yours!!!!!!!!! It's a real beaut!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of those rifles,,,,,,
Stuck a new bolt handle on my old Husqvarna 146, 9.3 x 57mm Mauser. Looks much better than the last knobby and short handle that was on it! I have a bunch of Speer 270 grainers loaded up so I think I'll drag this one out next Saturday for some shooting..... Sorry I do not photo things well........
100_2739.jpg

Renault

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Now you guys are gonna force me to open the gun safe and break out a camera. I'm another fan of the .318 WR. The exit wounds those long-for-caliber soft points make are eye openers. Another fav. is a 50's era .404 Jeffrey that I simply must get restocked. That Monte Carlo canoe paddle is a horror but boy does it knock down whatever I shoot with it . . . except one old zombie of a Cape buffalo. That one almost got me . . .

WH1

Practically Family
well the Kimber is off the table. My wife looked one over at Gander Mountain and while it is a beautiful rifle, very well made the stock is not the lovely dark satin walnut they have in the literature. According to the pictures she forwarded to me it is kind of a bleached out color. Very disappointing. I guess it is time to go back to the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade.
I did find a very nice Whitworth Mauser action .270 on the Willoughby McCabe site but they had just sold it to another gentleman. I am looking for one in .375 though. The ones I have seen are nice rifles for the money and well made.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I am looking for one in .375 though. The ones I have seen are nice rifles for the money and well made.

You, sir, are a man of taste and discrimination! I own a .375 Whitworth, custom built by Paul Jaeger. Loaded to 2660 fps., it puts three 300 grain Nosler Partitions into a thumbnail at 100 yards. If I had to get rid of every other rifle I own, that is the one I would retain. I have instructed my wife I wish to be buried with it. You never know when it might come in handy . . .

Good luck in your search. You will be glad you waited.

J.D. Hunt

New in Town
MP, the item on the rear of my 8mm is the low safety someone put on it when they put a 3x9 bushnell on it. After I purchased it I did away with the scope and mounted the express sights on it. Everything else is as is. JDH

jkingrph

Practically Family
Mike, that is one classy rifle. I bet it does handle those 220's justfine!!!!!!!! Papa Hemingway would be proud!!!!

Hunt, ol' boy........ Will miss you next weekend as I was going to drag out one of the "medium bore" Mausers! Was looking forward to shooting that new one of yours!!!!!!!!! It's a real beaut!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of those rifles,,,,,,
Stuck a new bolt handle on my old Husqvarna 146, 9.3 x 57mm Mauser. Looks much better than the last knobby and short handle that was on it! I have a bunch of Speer 270 grainers loaded up so I think I'll drag this one out next Saturday for some shooting..... Sorry I do not photo things well........
100_2739.jpg

Renault

I have an older, vintage 1929 Husqvarna Mod 46 in 9.3x57. It's built on the older Swedish 94/96 action that cocks on closing. It's a fantastic rifle, beautiful wood and a good shooter, and is totally stock, never has been drilled & tapped for a scope, and will stay that way as lon as it's mine.

Renault

One Too Many
I have an older, vintage 1929 Husqvarna Mod 46 in 9.3x57. It's built on the older Swedish 94/96 action that cocks on closing. It's a fantastic rifle, beautiful wood and a good shooter, and is totally stock, never has been drilled & tapped for a scope, and will stay that way as lon as it's mine.

I have two Model 146's. One I left in 9.3 x 57 and the other I rechambered to 9.3 x 62. I love them both. You are correct! They are lovely rifles, aren't they???? I've posted pics of the x 62 somewhere here on the forum. Looking forward to the day when I finally bag the Nilgai with it!!!!!

On another note,
Funny I've hunted wild hogs for almost 30 years. Killed them with everything from .22 LR's to smoothbore flintlocks. But the biggest boar I ever killed was right here on the place, in my back yard with that 9.3 x 62! April a year ago. I and the other smith had just finished re-chambering it. It has an old Swede military side mount retro-fitted with one inch rings. Hadn't even had time to sight in the scope. Used the iron sights. 286 grn RNSP made quick work of the old rooter. Maybe 225-250 pounder.....

Renault

Renault

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I had a Husky Mauser 46 that I swear must have had its stock designed by some British London stockmaker. It had a laid back pistol grip with a round knob that just came to the shoulder like a fine upland gun. I had it rechambered for 9.3x63 like you did. Talk about a pocket rocket? Man! However, since I already had four other rifles that would do the same thing, I sold it to a friend of mine (since deceased) who wanted it for elk in Washington state. I wonder if he ever got it out for one . . .

jkingrph

Practically Family
I like that what must be a Prince of Wales type grip on the Model 46, as well as the long barrel and express type sight. If you hold the gun out and look at the stock closely, mine has some cast off so when I throw it up the sights align with my eye easily.

I wish they still made rifles like this.

FiftyFathoms

New in Town
Great pics of great rifles. I sold my last two "larger" rifles several years ago. Both were Winchester Model 70's, one in .458 Magnum the other in .300 H&H Magnum. Sadly, I could no longer afford to feed them. I live in TX and had no legitimate use for them, but they were a blast to shoot. I also have fond memories of shooting a friends .470 NE double rifle. Good times.

Renault

One Too Many
No legitimate use???? Ask those who know me, I'm basically quite illegitimate. Who ever needed an excuse to own a big rifle????? LOL! I understand tho. I'm going to shoot them until the arthritis is too bad to hold them up! I have many useless rifles that I absolutely love. I have no use for my .300 H&H or my .375 H&H but they are supreme rifles. I suppose if I had to keep just one rifle it would be a toss up between my 9.3 x 62 and my

Hunt, the medallion came on the rifle. Has a gentleman's name on it (as well as six little brass "coup" pins!) I suppose that was six Swedish elg!

I'm still working on a pair of .303 sporters.

Renault

PS

After i posted my last msg last night I shot another hog! About a dozen were out here behind the house at dusk tearing the place up! Got one with my 30 Govt 06 Mauser sporter (Yes Hunt, the one with the claw mounted scope!).

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Oh heck yeah! After all, with a big rifle you can always shoot something small. With a small rifle, shooting something big is a very questionable action Just because something is possible doesn't make it a good idea.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Great pics of great rifles. I sold my last two "larger" rifles several years ago. Both were Winchester Model 70's, one in .458 Magnum the other in .300 H&H Magnum. Sadly, I could no longer afford to feed them. I live in TX and had no legitimate use for them, but they were a blast to shoot. I also have fond memories of shooting a friends .470 NE double rifle. Good times.

Honestly the last bigger thing and it was not all that large was a boar when I was stationed overseas in Turkey back in the early 1970's.

I still get a hoot out of punching holes in targets with my Ruger #1 tropicals in .458 Win and .375 H&H, CZ Safara .375 H&H, as well as a group of 45-70's and a couple of .405 Winchester 1895's.

Needless to say there are no elephants in the garden!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
It's always a kick to go to the range and after putting everything on the bench watch the guys on either side of me back up when I open a box of .450 Rigby Rimless. And when I put up the shooting sticks and touch that cannon off, their eyes get really big. The recoil is brisk.

FiftyFathoms

New in Town
I have always loved the British double rifles, but never could afford one. They felt nice when shouldered and had a great balance. The .470 was the only double I ever fired but I did get to fire three rounds from another gentlemans .505 Gibbs. That was an experience. The only other large bore I had fired prior to the .505 at that time was a custom Model 70 in .458 Lott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24