Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco 1906

Brinybay

Practically Family
Shangas said:
The Great Quake and Fire wasn't until the 18th of April, 1906. This film was recorded in 1905.

I got the year wrong, pardon me. Filmed in 1906 according to this link:

http://www.flixxy.com/san-francisco-1905-historical-footage.htm

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!). It was filmed only four days before the quake and shipped by train to NY for processing.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Wow!

Brinybay, thank you so much. That was very interesting.

It just looks like total anarchy to me. I thought the foot traffic was bad nowadays.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Chainsaw said:
Brinybay, thank you so much. That was very interesting.

It just looks like total anarchy to me. I thought the foot traffic was bad nowadays.

Seems almost surreal. Bowler hats seemed to be quite popular then. As a bus driver, the lack of traffic controls scares the bejeezus out of me

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Cablecars in San Francisco don't go very fast. It wouldn't be hard to dodge around them. The cars, on the other hand...

At least some of those streetcars have pantographs, so I don't think they're all cable cars.

Amazing footage. Amazing to see so many autombiles two years before the Model T was even introduced. Seems America was well on its way to becoming motorized even then.

-Dave

Chainsaw

Suspended
Brinybay said:
Seems almost surreal. Bowler hats seemed to be quite popular then. As a bus driver, the lack of traffic controls scares the bejeezus out of me

In Argentina, they have the largest street in the world. I believe it's 14 lanes wide. Apparently even the economy cars ( Chevettes for example) have push bars on the front. Tons of accidents each day.

Taking the Amtrack might be preferable, the sceneary better, or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart