Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco voters BAN HANDGUNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
nightandthecity said:
That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s very well put Joseph. I would add this: I bet the Liberal/Conservative dichotomy wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t the only one operating in SF when they took that vote, has anyone analysed it in terms of gender? I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d be willing to bet there was a significant male/female split that cut across party lines. One aspect of the problem seems to me that us boys ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú good guys and bad guys alike ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú tend to fetishize guns. Women tend not to. But as wives, mothers and Nurses they do have to clean up the mess after us.

This is San Francisco we're talking about. The gender line is most definitely blurred if not totally obliterated. Throw in a popular stronger-than-ever '60s hippie / communal living / social programming mentality and you can throw any sort of traditional demographic out the window.

S.F. - with exception to Berkeley and some areas in Marin and Sonoma counties - is about as far off from representing the majority in the U.S. as you can possibly get.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
shamus said:
Here's a thought...

If the majority of voters in San Fran wanted this and voted for it. Then shouldn't they decide what's good for their city and we should respect that?

If self-defense and ownership of property are rights (and I would say they are) then a majority of voters in a city can't simply vote them away. The problem is that in modern America self-defense and ownership of property are not seen as rights. If San Francisco voters had decided to ban blacks from voting, or to eliminate the right of free speech do you think you would be saying that we should respect those decisions too?

shamus

Suspended
Vladimir Berkov said:
If San Francisco voters had decided to ban blacks from voting, or to eliminate the right of free speech do you think you would be saying that we should respect those decisions too?

I seem to remember something about blacks being banned from voting... Ah yes, that was until 1965 wasn't it? I think the southern states had some laws that I guess people respected up till that point.

But that's another thread.

San Fran didn't ban blacks from voting nor eliminate the right to free speech so why bring it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24