Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanding a freshly cut raw brim edge

jbucklin

Practically Family
I asked this on the "Ask a Question" sticky thread but have not received an answer.

I trimmed the brim of a hat and need to know what would be the best grade of sandpaper to smooth it out with.

Thanks

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Use a fairly coarse grit sandpaper to start and always sand the little squared edges from the scissor cuts down first. Then go around the edge in a circular motion until everything is even with a less coarse grade.

It varies with the felt as Randall said, but if its a western conversion, I start with a medium git (80 - 120) and get everything even and looking nice. If its a dress weight felt, I normally go with a 120. Once everything is perfectly round and smooth, I then use a very fine (220 - 240) to give the edge a very nice texture and softness. I then determine if the edge needs one more pass with Extra Fine (280 - 320).

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Also, to minimize the amount of "pyramid" cuts on the brim from scissors, I have a little trick. I posted this in the "Conversion Corral."

The first thing I do is flatten the brim with steam or iron. Then I take a tailors tape and measure the width desired. Then I take a pencil and mark every half inch to an inch around the brim until it looks something like this:

During4a.jpg

Then I will use a very sharp scissors and while I cut the brim, I turn the hat so the cuts are more circular and not straight line cuts. One that's finished, the brim looks okay, but there are always some sharp cuts so I will take sandpaper anywhere from 60 to about 220 grit and in a very careful fashion go around the brim in a circular motion while constantly checking to make sure that I don't over sand the brim edge. Once I'm satisfied that the brim edge is perfectly round, I will take a finer grit and just smooth down the edge.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's a pic of the hat. You can see the jaggedly cut brim on the right side (front view).
downsized_0307021535.jpg

The 120 will take care of that, just make sure your sanding in a round motion around the brim. Concentrate on that area first, then even out the rest of the brim.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
If the hat is soft felt you may want to lay it on a piece of wood for support. You could cut a piece of MDF in a round shape and make a smaller matching moon shaped piece. Sandwich the felt between the 2 and sand with a sanding block. This would give the smoothest most even edge.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Josh,

Did you mean that I should move the sandpaper in a circular motion like when waxing a car ("wax on; wax off")? Or did you mean to move around the brim in one direction?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh,

Did you mean that I should move the sandpaper in a circular motion like when waxing a car ("wax on; wax off")? Or did you mean to move around the brim in one direction?

I meant move around the brim in one direction. Always counter clockwise. First concentrate on getting the raised areas flush and round, so work in small sections but still go in one direction (counter clockwise). After everything looks round, to ensure that the brim is even, go around the entire edge. I guess you can work in 2 half circles to make it easier. Basically what your trying to avoid are "flat spots" on a round edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot