Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanding Akubra felt a la Indycop?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
I love my new Camp Draft but it is a hair fuzzy ( pun intended) and read where Indycop routinely sandpapers his Akubras some. How much does this change the fuzziness? What direction to sand? What grit? Potential for screw-up?
Thanks,
Jed

Jed, I did ask IC about the grit but haven't searched for his reply. I would sand like you brush, in a counter clockwise direction. There is always area for FUBAR, but go slow & make sure it is even all over. Too much in one place has to be bad, so do a little all over then a little more. It is just additional post-factory pouncing if you ask me...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I have done a couple by hand now. I get better results with 150 or 220 since I do it pretty light and doing it by hand would take forever it too fine. Just try the underside of the brim to get a feel for it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
FYI

I suggest a bit of water before you move to sanding. I've worn all three of my Campdrafts in the rain. After that most of the fuzziness disappears.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the info, boys. Carter, that is good info as I really love this hat and don't want to screw it up by splitting fine hairs. I may just leave her as is and enjoy the softer side of life:p

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dawgvet

It took time to make the hat

Time for you to choose the hat

Give the hat time to truly become yours before you "fix what ain't broke"

It's a beautiful lid;)

Just a thought

jpbales

Practically Family
i've sanded my Fed IV

I sanded my Fed IV and it makes a big difference on the finish. I've had it for some time before sanding it, and I've worn it in the rain many times before the pouncing.
First, I used a very low grit paper, like 150, and it took off plenty of fuzziness, but the finish was still not very smooth.
Then, I later tried a 1600 grit and it made a BIG difference, and now it's very smooth and it got rid of all that fuzz.
At first, I was really careful about going clockwise and all that, but found that it didn't hurt anything not to and all it did was make it take longer. I ended up doing little circles and going back and forth and it didn't hurt anything and it sped up the process. It sure does make a lot of fuzz, so I brushed it well when I was done. Be careful when you're sanding to make sure you don't sand the edge of the sweatband or the ribbon.
It does help though! Good luck.
ps: I'm not to blame for anything you do to your hat! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo