Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ReViEW of the HoRSE HiGHWAYMaN...LuFTWAFFE Version?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
AeroViewPage

First off, let me say, aero does nOt make a ‘luftwaffe’ version...of aNything...I did however order a Highwayman horsehide with all options that would be as close to a luftwaffe jacket as possible...from the photos of the Highwayman it seemed it was basically a ‘hartmann luftwaffe’ in basic design...so I went ahead on that basis...

In the end my attempt to recreate a luftwaffe jacket with a 50s design motorcycle jacket exceeded expectations on one hand, and ultimately couldn’t quite pull it off...however, I appreciate this amazing jacket as simply an aero Highwayman that, probably, is closer to the hartmann luftwaffe jacket than most jackets the actual ww2 luftwaffe pilots actually wore

but, to the jacket...I have just bought a sigma ringflash for my canon 20d, so pictures will be coming...however, the shot from the aero website is totally true to this jacket as I received it...except I had a second zip pocket put on the chest a la luftwaffe style...my collar is almost imperceptibly shorter to point (on request) than the pic, and mine is very darK horsehide brown vs. black of the pic...also I opted for the zip vs. cuff sleeves, and being in caFiLoRnia (mixed up spelling apropos of our state currently) I opted for the lightest lining possible, the brown cotton

the verdict is, this jacket is enough to cure one of the hunger to keep buying leather jackets...but don’t worry, if you really want to, you can keep doing so...however, I was in a paroxysm of jacket-buying addiction that arrival of this amazing piece has cured...that doesn’t mean the jacket experience was without a few bumps

the jacket is flawless, except for one flaw...which is the rule breaker that, they say, proves the rule...that ‘flaw’ being the seam on the faux belt at the bottom of the jacket...the top seam of that wraps around to the inside, left of jacket and right of jacket..however, on the right side (zipper pull side) the seam is bulky on the inside, somehow is raises further than it likely should, and more so than the one on the other side...this has it bumped by the zipper head as it pulls up...with about zips until I realized what was ‘snagging’, the raised portion of the seam is nicked in a very small, 2mm, spot through the top layer...I have taken to leaving a steel flat spring clip pressing on just that bump to flatten it out (when not wearing the jacket, obvioiusly), and until then easing the zip over that bump so as to prevent wearing any further...that being the only found flaw, I’m not too upset...like getting the first almost imperceptible paint chip on your new car...

I had worked with mark moyes, the u.s. rep for aero, on what to get option-wise in this jacket, and the sizing, and in the end he was spot on...the horsehide I got was perfect for calif, a little stiff when new, but already after several brief wearings conforming to my shape...and very comfortable aside from some slight pulling when I lift arms and such, which will disappear as the jacket stretches and conforms to my movements...so much more comfie and light than what I’ve heard from many luxo-priced horse jackets that people order and talk about here on the fedlounge...I forget what horse leather it was, but if you ask mark for the lightest, he’ll steer (no pun intended) you the right way

anyway, the jacket couldn’t be constructed better, or look better, prettier, more perfect (except for the slightly larger seam bump mentioned)...

Which brings me to some of the options I ordered...

Often I’ll look at jackets, even from amazing companies like aero, and say, ‘who the heck designed that...it’s a great jacket, but...’...well, I was able to fix those ‘buts’ here...I love the luftwaffe look of the double zip pocket on the chest (hartmann-style, though others I know had other combos)...so I added a second zip pocket up there...which is probably the single-most thing that makes this look virtually as much like a hartmann luftwaffe jacket as anything eastman et al is making...I’m kind of blown away by that

it doesn’t have the neck and waist buckle, as the eastman/hartmann do...but in reality, many real luftaffe jackets didn’t either...and I think practically, you would not want to muck up a Highwayman with those extraneousities (yeah, coined word)...but the main lines and beauty of the design of the most famous of luftwaffe jackets is clear here in the Highwayman, which itself was designed on moto jackets of the 50s, which, de facto, were often almost twin relatives of the luftwaffe jacket, which was in fact store bought moto jackets of the late 30s...so aero has rendered true the bloodline of this amazing jacket...

Instead of thinking that I’m paying homage to the fine style taste of luftwaffe pilots by seeking that style, I see it as returning to the roots of the most classic of motorcycle jackets coming out of the late 30s, which the luftwaffe pilots gravitated toward because of the style, and that their government had not created an ‘official’ jacket for them...so they wisely chose the most stylish...I give them that much credit, if not using the same acumen in choosing a leader or cause to fight for

away from the divergence into past politix, I must point out the fit...if you give mark moyes or the aero people all the measurements they ask for, they WiLL come up with the right size...trust them...I didn’t believe it, and drove them crazy...but in the end I just let them choose, and it couldn’t have been more perfect...for me that was a 45.5" chest and 33.5" waist working with an aero size 44 (which measures out to 25" armpit to armpit, or 50" chest circimference...not baggy at all, pulling a bit when I raise my arms heavenward to praise Aero for this jacket, which will not pull once the conforming stretch kicks in

otherwise, I did have the collar distance from fold to collarpoint trimmed from their 3.25" down to 2.75" because I prefer the sharper, less ‘SHaFt-can-U-diGGiT’ 70s collars of many jacket designs, and aero creeps in that direction (I said I like to redesign)

the collar verges on being a tad more than I’d like, however, to trim it anymore would have made this an inauthentic style

also, I kept the back length at 26" collar seam to back bottom...about an inch or so more than many moto jackets...but my preference...and I kept the zip jacket sleeves at the normal size, where the 26" back is considered a ‘long’ and normally came from aero with added length in the sleeves

I also had them use steel hardware (zip and pocket zip)...I found ‘ball and chain’ zip pulls on the chest pockets, which are very reminiscent of the kind of nipple piercings one might find on the west hollywood crowd out here in LaLaLand...however, I think they’re very cool and wouldn’t change the look

I added ‘tang’ style buckle on the side buckles...the original is just leather pulled through a loop, which over time kind of wears the leather...the ‘tang’ buckle (no, not for moon flights) has a watch-type steel point that fits through buckle holes that are lined in grommet steel...very industrial and not prone to wear

the only thing nOt luftwaffe, aside from the neck and waist buckles, are side panels going all the way up to the underarm, rather than mini-triangular side panels that only go up a few inches on the true hartmann luftwaffe, at the side buckles...when I accepted this as a Highwayman rather than a recreated luftwaffe jacket, that was actually very fine indeed

which brings us to one glitch that occurred...which was when I originally ordered the jacket, with my recreation of the hartmann in mind, I specified a one-piece back (though, in the end, many luftwaffe jackets did have a top yoke/2-piece back)...well, when the jacket came, it had the Highwayman ‘V’ yoke, even though some Highwayman, and the one I ordered, have a one-piece back

I called and left mark at aero a message that I could either return it, though i didn't want to wait 2-3 months for another, or accept it with some money off...his answer was that he would start a remake immediately and get it out to me in 2-3 weeks if I wanted one with the one-piece back...otherwise he would indeed take some money off for the error

this is customer service you find virtually nowhere...mistakes do happen, but how many merchants correct them like that...

Eventually, (a few hours), I decided to accept this beautiful jacket as a Highwayman, rather than an ersatz luftwaffe hartmann, and hungrily put the jacket back on, and called mark to say I’d accept the discount...he asked me several times whether I’d be happy with doing that...stating that the one thing he didn’t want was for me to look back and not think of my experience, and my jacket, as fully positive...blew me away

well, the discount went toward my possible future luftwaffe replica fund...but this aero jacket is so satisfying, it may cure my addiction to buying endlessly...though I may buy another aero at some point

as said, I will get the ringflash and the 20d out and get some pix this week, but this jacket is one of the finest purchases I have made of any pure enjoyment product (though it is highly practical), and the customer service couldn’t have been any better...

The only experience I could compare it to, after wearing some very very nice mid-range authentic and govt. issue mil jackets, is how I felt owning and driving a 68' mercedes 280se about five years ago...it just had the feel of the real deal...by 1973 mercedes had stopped handbuilding their cars, going to the standard assembly line...

The 280se was not fast, anything but, and the straight six did guzzle at about 15 per gallon...but it was a purely blissful driving experience that is hard to describe...

I couldn’t afford to keep that thing when the engine finally went out...but I don’t think I’ll have any upkeep expenses with this aero...except for some conditioner in a year or so

happy,
johnnyjohnny

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
sCreWed by aero...

thanks nighthawk for enjoying the review...

however, i went out tonight to drop off some mail, put the aero highwayman on over my tshirt...got in my car, and drove off to the mail drop...

by the time i'd returned, and looked at the jacket on in the mirror, i realized i'd been screwed biG time by aero...and that insidious mark noyes...

these aero jackets apparently get better looking on one each time you wear them...even within the first half-dozen times...

i think i'm becoming infatuated with this thing...i hang it up near my computer, and stare at it in between working on stuff, and writing my inane fedLounge posts

even though i was depleting my bank account like a failed wall street subprime-dealing bank, buying endless jackets on ebay, having this aero highwayman makes me not need to ever get another jacket...

i lost a very important addiction...what will i do now? soon i won't have other things to write about on fedLounge...people will rejoice in no longer having my posts to endure...i'll have to get a life, instead of another jacket

being finally satisfied with something you've been searching for can truly be a bummer.......so thanks a bunch aero, and that noyes guy...

what am i to do now!

johnnystinkingjohnny

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Agreed - Mark is a really good guy and SERVICE is second to none.

Glad you like the jacket Johnny!! When you can, post some photos please as they often say more than a thousand words can.

It's also fun, and enlightening, to see the jacket after a good 6 months of wear and tear, as often (and I think you know this already) the leather on these babies develops a different, personal character and patina with each wearer/owner.

The FQHH on one of my Aero's has been sat on, scuffed, chunks out of it from gardening, mechanics..etc, etc and now four years down the line, it is just looking better and better for it!!

I Simonius

New in Town
Great review - thanks for taking the time - I also got a highwayman and customised it very slightly - this jacket gets more compliments from total strangers than any other I have worn.

The texture of the leather just gets better and better - Ive had it going on 3 yrs and it really cool ( sorry didnt know how else to say it);)

I'll post pics later too if anyone's interested

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
pictures, yes

yes simonius, would love to see some pix, and we can compare...i'm going to take some pix too sometime this week...i'm wiped out today...a cat with diarrhea can leave you wanting to commit suicide...but don't worry, she can get nowhere near that jacket...

curious as to what customization you did with yours...i tried to be very slight...everything i suggested i ran by mark "E. MOYE' so he could tell me if what i was doing was ruining the jacket...the only variations that they don't normally offer, which i did were the second zip pocket on the chest, which i'm totally happy i did...looks almost exactly like the lewis leather 'dominator'...which costs twice as much at least...exchange rates a large part of that with the brit pound...

and when i had them trim the collar a bit, i asked mark how far i could go without ruining the lines of it...i think he said 2.75" from neck seam to collar point was as small as he'd make the collar, though the vanson comet is about 2.5" i believe, and the collar on my 184sm schott, which is a motorcycle jacket is under 2.5", and it looks great...but my collar seam to point turned out 3"...before messing with any of aero's line, i would make sure any tweaks are not running afoul of what they think would keep the jacket a 'highwayman', or whichever model you choose...not that one can't design his own jacket, but in something iconic like this, i like to keep it what it's supposed to be and just tweak...

so what did you do to yours?

best,
johnnyjohnny

I Simonius

New in Town
johnnyjohnny said:
yes simonius, would love to see some pix, and we can compare...
so what did you do to yours?

best,
johnnyjohnny

not a lot - added an inch to the sleeves with a plain front, removed the sewn in cuffs - and got the tartan check lining put in. I can't remember if there was any other mod I asked for

felix03

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny, thanks for posting your review. Simonius, fantastic pics -- the leather has so much character.

You guys aren't making this any easier -- my Aero Ace Cafe Racer (brown FQHH) isn't due to arrive 'til November :(

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I Simonius,

Just got done browsing your Highwayman photos. Awesome grain and color. You gotta love that jacket, and it'll just keep getting better.

Makes me feel like adding to my Aero collection myself!

I Simonius

New in Town
felix03 said:
johnnyjohnny, thanks for posting your review. Simonius, fantastic pics -- the leather has so much character.

You guys aren't making this any easier -- my Aero Ace Cafe Racer (brown FQHH) isn't due to arrive 'til November :(

thanks - Im tempted t add to my collection too - but not sure what -the Veste de Rallye is too chunky for me (I'm 6' and still pretty slim, certainly have round shoulders which makes it difficult to wear the longer jackets) - the mariner looks favourite. The barnstomer loooks too utilitarian , mind you so does the mariner I suppose, what Im really after is something that I havent located yet, what I call a 'Captain Hastings' (see this thread)

Still looking...;)

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
thanks for asking

thank you srivats for asking about the cat...very sadly she is gone...it's been rather a bad week for me in that respect

as for the jacket, i must say that it was the most amazing thing, but it too is gone...i was trying to design it into a luftwaffe jacket, when in fact i really wanted a luftwaffe jacket...

the jacket was only tried on, never worn, and i did find a buyer for it...leaving me the funds to go for an eastman...and then at some other point to just buy an aero highwayman without trying to tweak it...i love that highwayman, it was the most amazing jacket, and i definitely will be getting another, used, or maybe new at some point down the line...

but per the eastman luftwaffe (not the hartmann, but the 'luftwaffe' with slit bottom pockets), i have now sent eastman two emails in the last week and have received no answers...it's the jacket i want, but if anyone knows the proper channel to get through to them to order, i'd appreciate it...

sorry, again, about no pictures of the aero...suffice it to say it was everything and more someone would want who is ordering one of those jackets...alas, i wanted a luftwaffe jacket, so better to come back to the highwayman when it is that which i would like

johnnyjohnny

srivats

Familiar Face
Peacoat asked about the cats, not me ... but still, I am sorry to hear about her.

Too bad about the jacket, after reading that long review I was really looking forward to seeing some pics. Good luck with your future purchases!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
still fLying

well thanks srivats, and peacoats, for asking about her...it is appreciated, and i know she is well where she is now...

probably true for the aero as well...

NoW, as for paden's always interesting offerings, i must say i love aero's foray into the luftwaffe jacket, however, my true love is for the 'misused' motorcycle jackets that the luftwaffe pilots originally used...this aero arado is fascinating, but alas i love the chest zippered classic luftwaffe style, or what has become identified with it...

still haven't heard from eastman and am thinking i might never...if they are running heavy on customers i'd hope they'd at least let knew customers know rather than just shine on email inquiries...

i'm still not clear on the aero that fliegerjacke is offering...is it an updated luftwaffe style, or private purchase 'in the field' updates to a private purchase jacket from the ww2 era? i love the cut and silhouette of the jacket, but i really want the classic chest zippered pockets, and slash side pockets of the iconic luftwaffe jacket...be nice if aero made one of those

I Simonius

New in Town
johnnyjohnny said:
but i really want the classic chest zippered pockets, and slash side pockets of the iconic luftwaffe jacket...be nice if aero made one of those

have you asked them if they could?

I just love the way this rolls off the tongue - from the German site
"* Aeroleather Schottland ist eine kleine Manufaktur in den schottischen Lowlands"

(is 'Lowlands' German? :lol:)

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
das aeroleather...

does roll off the tongue nice...

actually, i saw the post above your post, and saw that aero does make a version of a luftwaffe jacket that is not sooo awfully far off, so i did email amanda over there in der schottLand, and am awaiting a reply...i'd love to have aero make one, especially since the one they do make (
http://www.original-fliegerjacken.de...cken_arado.php) for fliegerjacke is very close to the one i'd like...

will let you all know what the answer is...

yes, would be very nice to fly down the 405 freeway here in LaLaLand at a bLazing 8mph in rush hour wearing a classic luftwaffe jacket...

maybe someone might get out of my way...nahhhhhhhhhhhh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner