Sanding felts

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Emilis, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if you can do the sanding process (with a sander) with any sort of felt, or just top-notch (like rabbit or beaver) to get the skin-like texture?
    asdasd.PNG

Thank you in advance for the answer!

steur likes this.
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If you google Art Fawcett, YouTube there is a 30 minute video. It condenses his entire process of making a fedora into a 30 minute clip. I have never worked with anything but fur. Wool felt is cheap I suggest you dive into the deep end and find out. I only use hand sanding as time is not an issue and I love the work of sanding a felt...it has a meditative/therapeutic quality to it.

3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hello and welcome to the Fedor Lounge - this should go into the Hats section - this is Outerwear section...maybe the Moderators can move it. Just want to help you get the best help possible! :)

T Jones likes this.
  4. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

You are right! Only after I posted it I realised that it's in the wrong section..

5. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

Could you please tell me which sand paper do you use and why?

6. You can’t learn hat making from internet chats and videos. You should apprentice with a good hat maker and learn the craft the right way. If you just want to be a hobbyist hack then that another thing altogether.

A good place to start is reading
    Scientific Hat Finishing And Renovating: A Complete And Profusely Illustrated Course Of Instruction (1919).

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, There are lots of places selling it online but you can get it as a free download...PDF format.

8. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

A "hobbyist hack"?! Hey! I resemble that remark!

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The lightest I can find around here is 600grit. Some hatters use even finer but I find the 600 is okay...…. then I use an orange hat sponge to finish the felt.

10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If you spend some time digging around the forum, there are some good posts...

11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I wear my 'hackness' with pride!

jonesy86, T Jones and deadlyhandsome like this.