Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanitizing used hats?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
From the manufacturer = Lexol Leather Conditioner is non-toxic, non-flammable, non-irritating and completely harmless to leather and your skin.

That's what Lucky Strikes used to claim, too ....

I am terrified at the thought of athlete's scalp

I lost a good friend in college that way. He'd bought a great old dark brown beaver top hat ... this was in the '70s ... and he wore it day and night at all the draft-dodgin' protests ... the rash showed up the second week. He didn't think anything, but then it started boaring into his noggin and soon it was too late.

It ate right through his brain.

But he was majoring in social work, so no one ever noticed

Seriously, I've seen a lot of hats that were too scroungy to buy, but a relatively clean lid is going to be fine.
The freezing idea isn't a bad one ... just keep it away from the cool whip

Sam

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would do a visual check; if everything looks to be in order, you're fine. I think there's always been alot of finger wagging from worried mothers about children putting things in their mouth/on their heads/in their pockets, etc.

If the hat's dirty, there's already a couple great threads on cleaning and caring for hats. Lice? Doubt it, and if the hats been sitting for a while, the little beasties would get hungry and go look elsewhere. Dandruff and sweat stains? Awe, buck up hombre! Screw that lid on tight and add a couple of your own marks!

EggHead

Practically Family
I was once told by a shoe repairman that I can use vegetable oil for shoes because it's just natural oil. They will soak up the oil just like any specialized stuff. Have been using it on my shoes for a number of years. Tried on sweats too. Some just soak it up, others take 24 hours or so.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Homburg is in the freezer. The sweat doesn't seem to be in very bad shape, but I'll keep the Lexol in mind for if/when I find another "new" hat. There's a certain joy in finding a high quality hat for very little money at a thrift store (or auction, or vintage outlet, I'm sure).... I've gotta chase that feeling! :D

hatsandcanes

Familiar Face
I am curious what most do when they buy a vintage hat on eBay? The hat I purchased is one size down than I normally wear: however, the inside measurements are very close to my size. I would love to do a quick size check before putting it in a plastic bag and sun it for a while. What is your procedure for purchasing a used hat?
Many thanks,
Randy

I am curious what most do when they buy a vintage hat on eBay? The hat I purchased is one size down than I normally wear: however, the inside measurements are very close to my size. I would love to do a quick size check before putting it in a plastic bag and sun it for a while. What is your procedure for purchasing a used hat?
Many thanks,
Randy
If you have a band block cut to your size & shape you can do the quick size check with it. I wouldn't want to bag & sun the hat without a band block in it anyway. Next best thing before sunning the hat would be to fit a hat stretcher in it so it doesn't shrink as it heats up from the sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko