Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Objections

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I don't know about you guys, but when I walk around town or go out for an evening, I'm always appalled by what people seem to think is in good taste or acceptable attire. In general, I'm happy to let people dress how they feel, but it seems that most people don't even do that. They just dress whatever's easiest. Or something. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Anyway, I was wondering what the forum members' pet fashion peeves are. What things that people wear really grind your gears? And let's try and keep it from getting too verbose, because I'm guessing if anyone out there is like me, there are a lot of things that bother you about today's sartorial climate.

For me, I think the most irritating thing people do is wear sweatpants and pajama pants out in public. That, or wearing ugly suits that clearly don't fit, with the hems showing off all the ankle and the sleeves dangling past the knuckles. How 'bout everyone else?

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Fast food manager chic

I cannot stand short sleeve shirts with a tie. I know people who work in fast food have no choice, but I cannot excuse any one else. Furthermore, whoever came up with this sin against good taste should be tried for crimes against humanity. Can I get an Amen from the choir?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What hacks me is when a man and woman are out on a date and the woman looks elegant and hot, but the man is dressed for beer with the boys. I particularly noticed this while visiting Vancouver a few summers ago. It was one of the few remaining double-standards in an otherwise very egalitarian city.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
I hate the sweat pants on the girls that say Juicy, or Pink. Right on the Butt. they are usually to low, and have a muffin top. That really irks me. The PJ's I cant stand either.

Humm lets see

wearing a baseball cap sideways. Wear your hat straight. it is ment to keep the sun out of your eyes not shade your ears.

Baggy pants. Your pants are ment to cover your butt. nobody wants to see your boxers. So pull up your pants. The belt is ment to keep your pants from slipping past your Hips. Not strap your pants below your hips.

Not into the whole earings on men either. Or the grommet thing. Grommets are ment to protect a wire passing through a hole. not to stretch the hole in your ear big enough to pass your finger through. That will look good when you are older.

The punk rockers of the 80's had more style than the whole gangster look.

Humm the messy hair look. I hate it. why would you intentionaly take jell and make your hair look as if you just got out of bed. and then put on a suit?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
gpwpat said:
[...]the grommet thing. Grommets are ment to protect a wire passing through a hole. not to stretch the hole in your ear big enough to pass your finger through. That will look good when you are older.
What is this "older" of which you speak? ;)

Miss N, how would you feel if we met for a date and you were wearing the cute outfit in you avatar, and I was in a white T, Levi's and a biker jacket? I'm just saying, hey guys, it's an occasion. You can spiff up and not look like a tool (that is, if you're not afraid it'll make you catch Teh Ghey or something).

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
What is this "older" of which you speak? ;)

Miss N, how would you feel if we met for a date and you were wearing the cute outfit in you avatar, and I was in a white T, Levi's and a biker jacket? I'm just saying, hey guys, it's an occasion. You can spiff up and not look like a tool (that is, if you're not afraid it'll make you catch Teh Ghey or something).

Actually, me accepting a date and then critiquing his attire is vastly different then going out on the town and critiquing the passerby's attire.

Although to be honest, if you were in a white t, levis and a biker jacket, I probably wouldn't bat an eye, unless we were headed to the opera.

But most certainly I would try not to bat an eye at the guy in the opera box next to mine wearing that. ;)

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Miss N makes a point. It is awfully pretentious and snobby to pass judgments like that. But I would like to see some standards. I don't mind people dressing different than me. It's when they put no effort into dressing. It's like saying to everyone around you, "you aren't worthy of me making an effort." It's just plain rude.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I actually couldn't care less as long as both of them are cazh'd out. It's the implied imbalance between the 2 people when only 1 dresses for the occasion. Kind of reminds me of Muslim women in hijab or headdress, with the husband in a polo shirt and bare headed.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
gpwpat said:
wearing a hat crooked. Wear your hat straight. it is ment to keep the sun out of your eyes not shade your ears.

:eek:

Are you serious??

Read any of the posts here on the FL about vintage hat wearing. Wearing your hat cocked to one side is de rigeur.

The above comment (in relation to vintage style) makes no sense whatsoever.... [huh]

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Pajamas in public with bed head and slippers annoy me, although I sometimes have bed head, and that's after attempting to style my hair. It just does its own thing some days. :(

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm my own sartorial objection

Me on the weekend mowing the lawn . . . It's just not a pretty sight. Skinny legs in shorts, ball cap or messy hair, unshaven . . . But when I've got yard work to do, I just want to get into it ASAP, before the sun gets really hot (it's the middle of summer here with lots of 104 degree days), so I just chuck on some work gear and hope I don;t scare any of the neighbours!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dirty fingernails, unless I see a workers utility belt, or Batman's utility belt.

The effort we put into our image is something we care about. There are many people in the world who see clothing as a function, not an ascetic. There are drones who buy whatever celeberity X was wearing last week, and there are people who get what they can afford.

With that siad to sum someone up with a judgement on how they are dressed is not too far removed from profiling. Come on folks lighten up. Dont like their gear, say "Dude your shoes are killer, you know what would be better, a rockin hat." Use those words exactly, I hear all the kids are speaking de' jive.

LD ;)

gpwpat

Familiar Face
Mr. 'H' said:
:eek:

Are you serious??

Read any of the posts here on the FL about vintage hat wearing. Wearing your hat cocked to one side is de rigeur.

The above comment (in relation to vintage style) makes no sense whatsoever.... [huh]

Yeah I am serious. Baseball caps worn sideways looks dumb in my opinion. And that is the only one I am qualified to give.

a vintage hat while even worn crooked will still shade your eyes. I was not refering to anything other than baseball caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24