Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Objections

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
IMHO, women in thong sandals are one of the joys of living. Flip-flops are excusable for that reason.

Man, I don't know. I just bought my first pair... ever... out of necessity (for the pool) and I'm pretty sure Hades in entirety froze over as I did. It actually hurt me to buy them. Flip-flops are wrong for *hundereds* of reasons. And at least if you're going to wear them, have the decency to do so where it's expected, like the pool, or Mexico.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
When it comes right down to it...

my feelings on style are pretty much the same as the old take on art: I may not know much about it, but I know what I like! :D

Cheers,
Tom

PS On the Elvis reference, I just snagged that photo from a web site. It seems to me that when I think of Elvis it's with a turned-up collar; that, and when I did have my collar "popped" (didn't even know there was a name for it until this thread!) I often heard a reference to Elvis because of it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
beaucaillou said:
Man, I don't know. I just bought my first pair... ever... out of necessity (for the pool) and I'm pretty sure Hades in entirety froze over as I did. It actually hurt me to buy them. Flip-flops are wrong for *hundereds* of reasons. And at least if you're going to wear them, have the decency to do so where it's expected, like the pool, or Mexico.

There is a woman where I work that wears flip flops in the office. (Only in summer!) lol
I could swear that they are like some sort of "dress" flip flops or something. I seem to recall they had heals on them. Is there really such a thing??? :p

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
There is a woman where I work that wears flip flops in the office. (Only in summer!) lol
I could swear that they are like some sort of "dress" flip flops or something. I seem to recall they had heals on them. Is there really such a thing??? :p

Yes, sadly, there is such a thing. They fall under the umbrella of "Resort or Cruise Wear." Definitely not career attire. Unless you work for a cruise line or resort.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
beaucaillou said:
Yes, sadly, there is such a thing. They fall under the umbrella of "Resort or Cruise Wear." Definitely not career attire. Unless you work for a cruise line or resort.

Another idea I had some time ago that I should have patented,...drat! :eusa_doh:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sefton said:
I enjoyed your post Doran. I hope that the works that you cited aren't too difficult to find or expensive as I'd like to check them out. Interesting indeed. Thanks!

Thank you, good Sefton. I always like your posts too. All can be gotten on Amazon, all are most certainly written for a popular audience (not narrow academic works in the slightest) and I think the book called "Elegance" has been mentioned on this site before, probably in reverent tones. It's marvelous. But it is more of a how-to. The Anne Hollander book "Sex and Suits" is, in my opinion, more fascinating and provocative. It's also short and sharp. The Barzun book ("From Dawn to Decadence") is available in every bookstore (or used through Amazon for maybe ten bucks) and it's a huge read but wonderful and worth it. Or you can only read the last part in which he rags on (post)modern "culture" and trashes bad manners, golf shirts at the opera, and even eating while standing. He is a crank, in some respects, but is also legitimately brilliant. The man teaches at Columbia and has written a biography of at least one major composer. He's a heavy-weight intellectual and one of the rational voices against PC in academia today.

Jovan

Suspended
beaucaillou said:
The only time I ever break out the sandals are when:
1. I'm visiting a beach town here. (Which means I'm out on the beach half the time anyways... otherwise eating Taco Bell in them and my board shorts. OH THE HORROR!)
2. A pool, obviously.
3. When it's morning and I don't care to put on shoes just to take out the garbage, etc.

Now, I personally recommend Rainbow sandals if anyone needs to reluctantly buy a pair. I guarantee it'll change your outlook on them. They're very well made and are guaranteed for the life of the outsole. Yes, other brands like Reef, Quiksilver and whatnot are making their own leather sandals like them, but they don't have the same guarantee. $40 well spent, IMO, and quite comfortable to boot since they mould to the shape of your foot over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany