Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Objections

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Tough Cookie said:
Well, I am a huge fan of the "Live and let live" philosophy, but I think this thread stops short of being hypocritical in that respect because I don't imagine that anyone here would walk up to someone and mockingly point out their white gymshoes (or what have you) in public, like the recipients of the hat comments.

People are always talking about my banana, and I just don't get it... lol

Hilarious!!!

You're quite right Cookie. We might think it, but we are all just too polite to actually offend someone needlessly like that. Really there is no point to it because I know people that I am fast friends with, but I don't share their tastes in clothes, music, or etc. It's all superficial stuff that we overlook because the person under the surface has a good heart, and that's what really matters.

Banana??? What banana? :)

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Well, for the posters who are talking down to the rest of us because we have opinions, I think maybe everyone should just lighten up a little bit. Nobody's making any judgment calls about anyone else. The whole point of this thread was only to comment on what we, personally, don't like about the style of today. If the folks in the shiny white gym shoes and baggy pants want to start an internet forum about how I dress poorly, let them. Nobody's making judgment calls on them. I never would have guessed that this thing would wind up being such a contentious topic! I feel like I need to take everyone out to buy a coke and sing a song about singing in harmony and all that.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Archie Goodwin said:
I cannot stand short sleeve shirts with a tie. I know people who work in fast food have no choice, but I cannot excuse any one else. Furthermore, whoever came up with this sin against good taste should be tried for crimes against humanity. Can I get an Amen from the choir?

OK, who watches me at work????????lol

Sorry, but I gotta sound off.

1. Polyester--not only tacky, but highly flammable. Latter's also the reason I personally avoid Vaseline and hairsprays.

2. Baggy pants with the crotch down around the knees--another safety hazard, a recipe for tripping.

3. Excessive facial piercings--not so much a peeve, as something ill-advised on safety grounds. Especially if you've got a face-full of metal studs and rings and decide to initiate hostilities against someone like me who doesn't fight fair...
"When you grab a [censored] by the monkey-paw stud in his lip and firmly pull, the rest of him will follow forthwith and posthaste."--Richard "Demo Dick" Marcinko

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
Major Nick, can I be your Padawan Learner? I promise I won't turn to the Dark Side, even if I am thirty years too old to begin my training!

Absolutely, Benny Wan Holiday! It is never to late for one to learn the ways of a Jedi.
And how did you perceive that I was a Jedi, if not that The Force is very strong in you? :)
Major Nick Yoda

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I wear baseball caps and yes sometimes I wear them not-so-straight, but that doesn't mean I don't have my own peeves. For instances, regarding ballcaps, leaving the sticker on the cap? Leaving the bill flat? And ESPECIALLY, wearing sports team caps not of the team's real team colors. Red Yankee hats are the accessory of the devil.

Besides that, I have a problem with people who wear the wrong size clothing, especially when it comes to T-shirts. If you are hip, you probably wear a size too small. If you are of the not-so-hip, you probably wear a size too large.

I also dislike the color black in almost all occasions except a suit, but that is really just me. And I've been given a hard time about it before.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, Master Nick Yoda! I gotta learn some Jedi mind tricks to pull on my wife: "Another bunch of 1940s ties?" (Waves hand mysteriously) "No, dear, I didn't buy any more ties. There are no ties in this package. They never existed. Ebay doesn't exist, either." :D

I imagine, Master Jovan, that your greatest sartorial objection would be dudes dressed in black robes with heavily tattooed faces. lol

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've written about this before but I need to again. Yes, I am put off by what other people are wearing at my favorite restaurants or at the theatre. Sorry if I have 20/20 peripheral vision, but I really don't need to see someone's gut hairy hanging out from behind a ripped up Ozzy Osbourne t-shirt when I'm paying more than good money to eat at what's supposed to be a four-star restaurant. Back in my punk days (can't say I ever really left them) I wore appropriate clothing in the mosh pit; I expect the same when people come into my world.

Regards,

SJ

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
A collar that is not folded down like it's supposed to be. A hallmark of the frat-boy trad look in recent years.

stu-pop-collar.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183