Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saved L-2B

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Thought I would post a couple pictures of an L-2B project that was just completed.

This jacket was purchased by a friend approximately 25 years ago on one of our Saturday afternoon, surplus store adventures. He got it home and his mom (unknowing the ways of vintage flight jackets) thought it looked dingy and dirty (which it was) and tossed it in the wash. Of course when It came out the knits were in shreds.

He kept it a few years, hoping to get it fixed. Never happened. We then traded something for it and I ended up with it. I had one aborted attempt to get it fixed by a co-worker who claimed to be a seamstress as well. She had it for over a year and only got one cuff started and the rest of the parts lost. So no go there.

I recently decided to give it another go. I purchased the L-2B/MA-1 MASH Co. repair kit via Vintage Productions.

My seamstress I use was apprehensive given the age of the jacket, and the fact that all the knits had been trimmed off by the previous attempt. She told me they usually make good patterns and show assembly pointers.

I took her in a non vintage L-2B as well as a book as a guide. I think she did a great job!

Here are a few before and after photographs:

Thanks to some folks over on the Vintage Flight Jacket Forums, I was able to get the jacket identified as a B Series Rolen, 1957 Vintage.

BEFORE:

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

bbc1969

Familiar Face
matrioshka said:
She did a nice job. How much did that cost?

M

The total was $100.00. Which is expensive, but I was prepared to spend that to have it done right.

We have done alot business with this dry cleaning/seamstress shop. When I dropped the jacket off, and discussed the repair with the seamstress she was really concerned as she explained that it would be alot of work to make it right. When she found out it was an antique from the 50's she was hesitant, but agreed to take the job on.

When my wife picked it up yesterday, the owner was really nervous as they don't really get this kinds of stuff in to be repaired. They are used to $20.00-$50.00 alteration jobs on things like suits and prom dresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner