Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SCAM ALERT! Member “justing”

ericksonpipes

One of the Regulars
BEWARE the account “justing” here on the FL! I was contacted via DM (see attached) in response to one of my WTB posts. I was then told to contact “David Whitney” for details. A quick Google search for “dan_whitney@aol.com” reveals a scam notice on another forum (also attached). Has anyone else received a DM from this individual???

Attachments

• 025D2BA3-9FEE-43F9-8BA5-6292CB8F1AAF.jpeg
    025D2BA3-9FEE-43F9-8BA5-6292CB8F1AAF.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DC1F12BC-EDF0-4CC9-8AF5-0D2DEFB4EE81.jpeg
    DC1F12BC-EDF0-4CC9-8AF5-0D2DEFB4EE81.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 95

John Lever

One Too Many
BEWARE the account “justing” here on the FL! I was contacted via DM (see attached) in response to one of my WTB posts. I was then told to contact “David Whitney” for details. A quick Google search for “dan_whitney@aol.com” reveals a scam notice on another forum (also attached). Has anyone else received a DM from this individual???
Yes...I have no reply to the e mail for details of an Ironheart Anj4.
Why is Justin still a member ?

stook1

New in Town
A rule preventing new members from posting in classifieds would be sensible

I understand the sentiment but disagree with this as a solution. It should not have to be said that the vast, VAST majority of new members are not scammers. Folks need to use their judgment and common sense to avoid scams. They are generally obvious.

I suspect most members could get behind posting standard guidelines for vetting private party sales but banning new members from posting in the classifieds is, in my humble/newb opinion, unnecessary and much too big of a step that will simply make it that much more difficult for new members (like me) to learn the ropes via experience rather than talk.

I'd have absolutely zero hesitation offering references as a buyer or seller. It would be frustrating to be banned from classifieds until I hit an arbitrary post threshold. The end result of this type of policy generally ends up being low effort posts clogging up threads simply to hit the threshold.

I agree that preventing new members from posting classifieds isn't a solution. There aren't many such dedicated places to sell vintage clothes & people who just want to move something, shouldn't be prevented to do so just because they do not wish to actively discuss it.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I agree that preventing new members from posting classifieds isn't a solution. There aren't many such dedicated places to sell vintage clothes & people who just want to move something, shouldn't be prevented to do so just because they do not wish to actively discuss it.
I created my account solely for the purpose of selling one particular jacket. That was approximately 200 jackets ago lol.

John Lever

One Too Many
When scammers hit they can hit hard.
(Thinking of Met and Snackson both got cheated.)
At least two members got done for well over $1k
I would trust a member with 'My mail gets delivered here' over a 'New in Town ' any day

When scammers hit they can hit hard.
(Thinking of Met and Snackson both got cheated.)
At least two members got done for well over $1k
I would trust a member with 'My mail gets delivered here' over a 'New in Town ' any day
But then you have to remember the case of slack jawed troglodyte @Lebowski, who made multiple pointless comments across the forum to build a supposed "reputation" / high post count and was able to prey on members based on the pointless title under his username. What I look for is an active member, one who posts outside the classifieds, if a member exists solely in the classifieds, I will avoid about 99% of the time.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I moderate two forums. Here is an inflexible rule I enforce on both: if someone joins and within hours responds to an " x wanted" thread with something like " contact Joe at (email) he has what you want" I ban them immediately. They are always scammers. I treat a new member who immediately posts something for sale, especially with minimal description, with similar suspicion but I may not ban them if they provide good info.

I also encourage the use of online escrow services for expensive items. Then the seller doesn't get paid until the buyer receives the goods and confirms the sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko