Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scandalous!: Nylon Better than Leather for Wearing?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Starting to fall in love with nylon/nylon blend jackets if I haven't already. I have a Buzz L-2 and an L-2A on the way, an Alpha B-15 and MA-1. I'd argue these jackets, being softer, are more practical than leather jackets. As for the Buzzes, in their own way as elegant, albeit obviously very different than leather. This bias pertains more to flight jackets, but still!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Starting to fall in love with nylon/nylon blend jackets if I haven't already. I have a Buzz L-2 and an L-2A on the way, an Alpha B-15 and MA-1. I'd argue these jackets, being softer, are more practical than leather jackets. As for the Buzzes, in their own way as elegant, albeit obviously very different than leather. This bias pertains more to flight jackets, but still!

My Alpha Vintage B-15, Cockpit CWU-45P, Cockpit MA-1, and Alpha Nomex CWU-45P are all much warmer, much softer, and much lighter than any of my A-2's or G-1's. Need more proof?

sun-faded-cotton-ma-1-jacket.jpg
Nah, like I've said, I started picking up jackets of the non-leather variety too and enjoy them a lot. LA is a tough place to collect leather jackets. This time of year you have to cram in wearing them as it will be 90-100 before you know it.
No sense being miserable - there are great jackets that didn't come from killing cute little animals... ;)
I ordered one of these CockpitUSA "Sun Faded MA-1's"

Last edited:

lkalliance

New in Town
As I patiently await US Wings' restocking of its Modern A-2, to try one more time to see if the A-2 will fit my newly-trimmed down frame, I am also looking at the nylon options like MA-1's on Cockpit in case the A-2 still just doesn't fit me well. Also considering the cotton A-2 I see there. Hoping, though, that 70 lbs lighter makes for a better fit in the leather.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
70 pounds lighter? That would make anything and everything a better fit, starting with blue jeans!

Yes, nylon/satin has a place here. A well deserved place.

CBI

One Too Many
I'm a huge A-2, G-1, A-1 fan. They look awesome and I own/have owned MANY but...........yep, I WEAR cloth much more now. I'll go a step further, I now wear mostly "longer" cloth: N-1, Tankers, Arctic M-41, M-43, N2B, etc.

When it's cold, I want to be warm!!!! Yes my B-3 is leather and does that job well, except doesn't keep the hind end warm.

Nylon, not so much as there are so few flight jacket options that are not terribly short waisted.

Enjoy, can't beat the look!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I don't wear a lot of "cloth" (B-10 from Pike Bros) but I do wear a lot of wool in winter. Filson, vintage hunting jackets, Peacoats, all go into the rotation.

Worf

Yeah, all of the above are great jackets for cold and warm weather. Leather is a more finicky beast, so having a little of all of them is a good closet, IMO.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
You just live in Pasadena ;-) Remember visiting during the heat wave and it was a balmy 107 degrees.

View attachment 65076 Nah, like I've said, I started picking up jackets of the non-leather variety too and enjoy them a lot. LA is a tough place to collect leather jackets. This time of year you have to cram in wearing them as it will be 90-100 before you know it.
No sense being miserable - there are great jackets that didn't come from killing cute little animals... ;)
I ordered one of these CockpitUSA "Sun Faded MA-1's"

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars

Agree that nylon has many positive qualities. One concern could be that it never biodegrades though....

OTOH, I can see not posting up a lot of these jackets as they're really anything that anyone can look at and buy online.
I think that a thread is OK, but I wouldn't want the lounge/outerwear filled with "My new Cockpit/USW/Avirex" jackets...not being snobby, just saying we're here to share those special things not everyone has ;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's too cold for leather jackets up here now (though yesterday was freakishly warm, so I pulled out my G&B M-422A!) Once it stays below 40, I'm wearing my pea coat, tanker jacket, or MA-1s instead of my leathers. And really, they're ALL classics!

In all seriousness, I'm really starting to... need one of those again. It's cold, it's rainy and leather jackets just take too long to dry. Any jacket I wear is out of the game for three days and I'm running out. I've had Alpha something something, it was a really useful jacket but I got rid of it because it made me look like a skinhead... Occasionally I still check the local classifieds for another but people began overpricing them.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today is very cold in the UK with 'Thunder-snow' which has seen me wearing my 90's service issue N-2B..those textiles :)

If it gets any worse my S.A.C N-2A might have to make an appearance...

Tomorrow I'm considering the shearlings ...Irvin type or D-1 if the temps come up :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have an Alpha N3 and L-2A, and a Buzz B-10, all of which I'm massively fond of. The N3 is a bit on the large size, but it perfect for when the rain/snow gets beyond hat and shearling levels, and the L-2A is a good light one for summer evenings. Much as I love them, it's not the same sense of 'ownership' that you get from an A-2 or whatever. Also, there's not the same sense of craftmanship going into them. You know a Good Wear or an Aero has had serious work by an individual at every step of the way, every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles