Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scans from American Hairdresser Magazine

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love the 'enchanting upsweep' picture....very lovely....it's actually pretty darn close to how I want to do my hair for friday night at the QM:)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Lolita, Veronica Lake has a great hairstyle.....check it out...I think you'll find it very complimentary...I'm facing the same issue myself with having long hair!

J

jp*81

I found this picture of long hair.

I guess this is an average girl from the 40's hair-do.

7-13.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your help! I am having a hard time opeing the sydnyswingkatz page, but I will reboot my computer and see if that helps. I like the back roll with the rat, but I don't have I will have to try that. Only without the rat. I know women did it back when, but it kind of grosses me out. This coming from the girl who loves the hissing cockroach broach from another thread!

jp*81 said:
Here are two webpages that have a long hairstyles.

http://www.sydneyswingkatz.com/long.html

This one is a step-by-step:

http://www.joeri.net/retro/fashion/hairstyle1.htm

I think a lot of women might have used snoods.

I found these quotes:

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/history%20of%20hair.asp

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I just recently achieved the Veronica Lake look. And this was only after days of styling products to weigh it down. My hair is so thick that when I try to to a peek-a-boo look the waves/curls come out too poofy and give me more of a Rita Hayworth look than a Veronica Lake one. I just know that longer my hair grows the harder it is for the end curls to stay perky.

mysterygal said:
Lolita, Veronica Lake has a great hairstyle.....check it out...I think you'll find it very complimentary...I'm facing the same issue myself with having long hair!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
MysteryGal... you said your hair was long as well... I can get this look by using pillow curlers (or what I call perming rods - they aren't... that is just what I call them.) It is easier for me than pin curls. It may be an option you want to look into.

mysterygal said:
jp*81 said:
135589449_e049292391.jpg

I have now found my all time favorite hairstyle! absolutely love it!!! now I gotta get my hair to do that :D

J

jp*81

I don't know what is wrong with that link. It worked the other day when I posted it and now it doesn't work for me either.[huh]

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
Thank you for your help! I am having a hard time opeing the sydnyswingkatz page, but I will reboot my computer and see if that helps. I like the back roll with the rat, but I don't have I will have to try that. Only without the rat. I know women did it back when, but it kind of grosses me out. This coming from the girl who loves the hissing cockroach broach from another thread!

I dont know if you know this or not, (cant really see how a hair rat is gross [huh] ) but a hair rat can be a synthetic roll thing you get from a beauty store, or old hair that you stuff into a peice of hosery and sewn at the ends. I have the synthetic one. It's way more stiff than using old hair.

Tin Pan Sally

humblestumble said:
I dont know if you know this or not, (cant really see how a hair rat is gross [huh] ) but a hair rat can be a synthetic roll thing you get from a beauty store, or old hair that you stuff into a peice of hosery and sewn at the ends. I have the synthetic one. It's way more stiff than using old hair.
The synthetic ones stay pinned in place much better, too.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I will have to look into the synthetic ones. Yeah, I don't know why the hair rat grosses me out. It is one of those dumb things you can't explain. :)

~Lo

humblestumble said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR