Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scans from American Hairdresser Magazine

16_sparrows

Vendor
I know there are a lot of hair threads already, but I was thinking that we have a post for showing off our hair styles, that we should also have one for old hair magazines and tutorials. This way we have one area to learn more fabulous styles and tricks!

These scans are from the December 1942 American Hairdresser. I have a few of these magazines and will be adding more scans soon. I have a link at the end if you want to see each individual page larger or download larger images so you can print and read them.

new-way.jpg

I love the trick they show on the second page for pinning the curl!

Three different styles:

3-hairstyles.jpg

Link to larger images: http://16sparrows.com/hair/
If you want higher res ones, ask and can send you some.

Bewitched65

New in Town
Thank you very much!!This is basically what I was looking for :) :) !!I still have problems winding my hair around my finger without twisting it...

Naama

Practically Family
You can never, never ever, have enough hair threads! That was a great idea! Can't wait to see more of this!

Naama

maisie

Practically Family
I wish I could do something like that with my hair, the hair styles in those pictures just look SO perfect!!!

16_sparrows

Vendor
Roll & Snood Tutorial

This one isn't from a vintage mag, but it is a good tutorial none-the-less. I really like her trick for wearing a snood so your hair doesn't poke out.
link to biggier image, for your veiwing pleasure

83006158_67c1e12b0b.jpg

USO Gal

New in Town
Thanks for posting these they are great!

I particularly love the snood tips. My naturally curly hair doesn't respond well to pin curls. And I am generally hair challenged - so Sonnods are my lifesaver.

16_sparrows

Vendor
You can definitely use my American Hairdresser scans. The roll & snood tutorial is not mine and I have been trying to track it's origins but it has been hard, so post that at your own risk.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Yes, that is where I got it from, but the girl you posted it wasn't sure of it's original source. But I figured it was posted to help other like-minded girls, so there was no harm posting it in these forums without an original source.

16_sparrows

Vendor
So I haven't posted any other the other hair tutorials from the magazines I got because I've been a busy bee. But here are some tutorials from Vintage Memoirs that I discovered via jp*81 in another hair thread.

The scans of the hair tutorials that are on the Vintage Memoirs site are seperated from the rest of their spread, which kind of bugged me. Also, they were a bit small to print out and read (I do this so I can just pin it up on the mirror and work), so I put the spreads together and resized them. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. I have links to the full size version below each image so you can download, print or just have easy reading.

135508576_2124569f54.jpg

(I am so loving this style!)
larger size

135517807_106abb2c66.jpg

larger size

135517809_c5f40ffbd8.jpg

larger size

More to come soon!

J

jp*81

Yeah, the pictures were kind of confusing. I had to open up a couple before I realized which pages went together. These are perfect. I didn't even think of posting them like that. Thank you.;)

Here are the other two.

135589449_e049292391.jpg

135589450_79315623a4.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Longer hair?

Does anyone have photos of (1940's) women's daily hair that was longer. I have seen the "glamorous" photos of Burlesque strippers and movie stars, but I am curious about that average woman's long hair style. I know the style at the time was medium length (shoulders) or shorter, but I am sure there were women out there that refused to cut their hair. I am trying to grow my hair back to its former glory (about to my butt), but I still want it to be stylish. So I would love to see photos any of you have of long haired women. Thanks!

~Lolita

J

jp*81

Here are two webpages that have a long hairstyles.

http://www.sydneyswingkatz.com/long.html

This one is a step-by-step:

http://www.joeri.net/retro/fashion/hairstyle1.htm

I think a lot of women might have used snoods.

I found these quotes:

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/history%20of%20hair.asp

1940’s women continued to follow their on-screen idols, with the emphasis on feminine, romantic styles. Soft curls falling onto the shoulders or long, wavy natural looks were popular and for the first time sun-tans became popular – probably inspired by Hollywood starlets. Of course these styles would have been saved for evening wear – as the war years raged something of a more practical nature was needed. Many women worked either on the land or in the munitions factories, and as shampoo and non-essential items were hard to come by fashion was often dictated by practicality. Practical women wore their hair in a neat roll around the nape and over the ears, often covered with a headscarf knotted at the front leaving only the fringe exposed. Plastic hair rollers were an essential part of styling as was styling lotion to hold the hair in place for as long as possible.

It is really interesting, about a young woman (no longer living), Mary Babnik Brown of Pueblo, who donated her long blonde hair to the government during World War II to be used for crosshairs in Norden bomb sights, Her hair, her pride and joy, was below her knees. It had to be at least 22 inches long to be used. So, she volunteered to cut her hair off and donate it to aid the war effort; she was paid with War Bonds. It was quite a story, nation-wide, and in 1987, President Reagan and Nancy sent her a letter on her 80th birthday expressing thanks for her patriotic effort

J

jp*81

I guess only the factory worker wore snoods.

Makes sense.

I found this page: http://www.forties.net/fashiondances.html.

Business and day time wear was often times rolled in a bun below the ears and the usual curled hair at the top of the head.....The working class had no funds for hair permanents. The hair was usually wore below the shoulders and curled in a simple fashion. Factory workers used the popular snoods.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW