Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scarf / neckwear options ...

Doug C

Practically Family
I've been noticeing some really cool looking scarfs lately in the media on men. And since I've only had the occasional cheap scarf from the malls, was wondering if there was any opinion on what makes for a cool looking scarf. It doesn't have to be vintage or anything, and as a matter of fact some of the ones I'm referring to aren't even wool I don't think..perhaps silks or whatever. Usually they are fairly long and wrapped several times around the neck. What do you guys like?

Doug C

dnjan

One Too Many
I have a gray plaid (fine plaid, not a big, bold pattern) scarf in wool that I tie kind of like an ascot and wear under a double-breasted overcoat. I am partial to merino wool (doesn't itch). Cashmere is nice also, but the only stuff I can afford comes from china, and I am trying to avoid them if possible.

I have a problem, sometimes, with silk if the stubble on my neck gets too pronounced. It tends to snag/wear-out the silk.

cowboy76

Suspended
A knit scarf that wraps several times due to length sounds very vintage to me. I can remember seeing pics of this and guys in movies with this type of scarf,....of course its just me, but if i went for one I'd try to find one that looked like it came out of an old movie from the 40s,...that's me though. Ya know, vintage scarfs are VERY easy to find,....made better than 99% of the imported crap today,...keep that in mind. You might like what you find!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Dad's scarf

Dad passed away back in March. Mom went through his clothes giving most to charity(VA hospital). She asked me if I wanted a scarf, so I said sure. It is about 42" long, 11 1/2" wide. It is white on white silk print. I do not ever remember him wearing it and neither does mom. I know he work on fighter planes , P-38s during the war. Thought maybe something a pilot would have worn. What do you think?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
At long last, I found you!

Let's give this thread a restart...

I have a great many knitted scarves of wool or cotton that I wear on a daily basis, but I've long wanted to have a silk scarf for more formal occasions. I jsut found it difficult to pull the trigger on buying a new one, since they tend to be so pricey, and I've yet to find just the one I was looking for in my travels through vintage shops and eBay.

I finally found one I liked very much on Ebay and am pleased to have won the auction for it, and at a very reasonable price.

Here are two photos of it:

e6ff_1_bl.JPG

e358_1_bl.JPG

Can anyone tell me how best to tie a scarf like this? I could wrap it around my neck, as I sometimes do with my everyday scarves, or place it around my neck and pull both ends through the loop, which is my usual method, but it seems to me there's a certain way of handling a silk scarf that would be more appropriate.

Perhaps tying it as one would an ascot (which I also don't know how to do)?

What say you guys?

redtag

Banned
Knitted scarf is, perhaps, a good choice. However, I still believe that one can look astonishing even when wearing an inexpensive scarf as long as he can carry himself with it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I wear a small silk scarf at the neck like an ascot, and I am also rarely seen without a pashmina, but I am a singer, and we get away with more, because we have to protect la voce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner