Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 50's one star from ebay, could use advices on this problem

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Hey all

I recently purchased a Schott one star horsehide from the late 50's, most of you probably saw the listing on ebay
After a few days of thinking i decided to purchase it, i don't know if it was a good move or not but i really wanted it, i paid 1650 pounds shipping included, 1920e after paypal scammed me on convertion fees

I received the jacket yesterday, it is a pretty cool jacket in great condition
But there is a problem, one of the past owner painted "hells angels" on the back, the guy never mentionned it on the ebay listing and it was not visible on the pictures
It is not very visible, you can hardly see it in full daylight, under unnatural light it is way more visible

So i'm torn between sending it back or keeping it, finding another one won't be easy, but i feel screwed, i don't believe the seller will agree on partial refund, he thought i was lying and trying to scam him, after i made a video of the problem he believed me but didn't offer any partial refund or any solution at all

That is why i would like to have your opinion on the matter
What do you think i should do ?

My options are :
-Sending it back
-Partial refund, unlikely to happen
-Fixing the problem ?
-Keeping it and feeling screwed
For now i'm tempted to send it back

Imgur album : https://imgur.com/a/mz7HnU1

Thanks in advance :)
RRRwCPa.jpg
V4VM0Gs.jpg f2CVVdA.jpg UjzE69J.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't really believe in partial refund, a lot of buyers try that trick and i don't like it.
In this case how do you decide how much less the jacket is worth because of the paint? 250e? 500e?
For me this jacket is worthless, i would not buy it...

IMO you can't fix it, you either decide you like the Hell Angels look or you don't.
Personally i would send it back using "not as described", eBay will side with you and you will get a full refund.

edit: keep in mind that having this on your jacket whilst not being a member could have you beaten up in some parts of the world too...
IMO this jacket was never a real HA jacket, which makes it kinda worst than if it was.

Psant25

One Too Many
First i would return should be covered under ebay buyer protection.

Otherwise, I would try to get that removed or painted over somehow. It is not very visible, but you really do not want the wrong person seeing that. And im not joking about that at all. Either a hells angel member or a rival club. There are mc clubs and chapters all over the world.

pretty cool artists on IG painting leather jackets depending on where you Live

https://instagram.com/rockasflightjacketpainting?igshid=1c5yzpoa5ovvc

https://instagram.com/onceuponalauren?igshid=346triydwzcd

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Otherwise, I would try to get that removed or painted over somehow. It is not very visible, but you really do not want the wrong person seeing that. And im not joking about that at all. Either a hells angel member or a rival club. There are mc clubs and chapters all over the world.
Yeah, you don't want to wear anything that might associate you, correctly or incorrectly, with a bunch of criminals.

It's an awesome jacket, though.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Use the buyer protection from ebay, your clearly not happy with the jacket and the art work was not previously described or now wanted so I believe you will be credited for the cost of the jacket.
Although, if you otherwise love the jacket, I think its worth a try to work on removing or covering the "Art".

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Ask seller for a return for a full refund - reason - not as described. Attach pictures. If seller declines or does not respond in 3 days, eBay will ask you to ship it back to the seller and upon receipt, issue a full refund. Should be simple. Good luck.

Okay, first thing, that's a beautiful jacket. To me, this is 10x times more valuable than any Buco ever. It's the exact version that the FCL copies right now so... If you feel the same, if this jacket is what you've been after, even if the text on the back was disclosed, I don't see how it would've made any difference? I mean, if the seller said that's what it was written on the back of the jacket, would you have not buy it then? Would it really be a deal breaker?

Doesn't make any difference to me and in fact only adds up to the cool - let's call it patina or character or whatever - of this jacket.
It may bother you, though and that's fine & perfectly understandable and if that is the case, send the jacket back for a full refund.

'cause let's be honest here - since a partial refund won't make the text disappear, you'd just be tryina get some money back and that's not really nice. The seller knows they can sell the jacket for the amount of money you paid for it, with or without the text on the back.

What sucks is that the seller wasn't 100% honest with you, no discussion there. It's no up to you whether you like the jacket enough to ignore their bs or you feel like you've been swindled - which I believe you haven't been but it woulda be fair had they mentioned the crap on the back.

Last but not least, this looks to me like something that can be fixed like super easily. In fact, I'd just cover it with some shoe creme. I think it could work.
If it comes to worst, what @Psant25 said, I'm sure there are plenty of solutions out there, someone working with leather & paint ought to know for sure what to do. I honestly don't think it's such a big of a deal and that's what I'd do.

Hell, if I had the $ ready, I'd buy the jacket from you on the spot.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
It kind of looks like wax pencil or something, as if someone did an outline to paint and then changed their mind. It does look like something removable/hidable with a little work.

At the same time I imagine you wouldn't have bidded knowing about this.

A not as described refund is probably the best option unless the jacket fits 100% and the text is something you want to have a go at removing.

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the helpful answers
Would i have bought it if i had knew? Maybe not at this price

What is sure is that i love the jacket (except for the hells angels thing), the fit is tight for now on the hips and chest but i still have weight to lose, been working on it for 2 months already, so it will fit for sure when i'm done
What is sure is that i don't want any art added to the jacket, i don't really enjoy it on this kind of jacket, and this one is a collector i want it as close as possible to what it was new
I'm gonna investigate if it is possible to remove it, i see that some of you believe it possible, i tried black shoe creme and it didn't work
I feel like you are right and it might have been wax pencil, but it looks like it discolored the leather with time

Edit : the seller just offered a 100 pounds refund

Beyondscenery

New in Town

What is sure is that i love the jacket (except for the hells angels thing), the fit is tight for now on the hips and chest but i still have weight to lose, been working on it for 2 months already, so it will fit for sure when i'm done
What is sure is that i don't want any art added to the jacket, i don't really enjoy it on this kind of jacket, and this one is a collector i want it as close as possible to what it was new
I'm gonna investigate if it is possible to remove it, i see that some of you believe it possible, i tried black shoe creme and it didn't work
I feel like you are right and it might have been wax pencil, but it looks like it discolored the leather with time

If you dont love it dont keep it
im sure in 2 months when you have lost the weight you are trying to lose, you can most likely find another one. so i would send it back, and if you dont love something dont keep it.
This gives you an excellent reason for returning it.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Technically, since you modified it by trying to fix it, you cannot return it anymore.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
If it is wax based you could try gently heating it with a hairdryer and rubbing it. This should do no harm if it doesn't work but if it is wax based it should disolve/move slightly.

roadking04

Practically Family
edit: keep in mind that having this on your jacket whilst not being a member could have you beaten up in some parts of the world too...
IMO this jacket was never a real HA jacket, which makes it kinda worst than if it was
It is not very visible, but you really do not want the wrong person seeing that. And im not joking about that at all. Either a hells angel member or a rival club. There are mc clubs and chapters all over the world.

I would strongly urge you to return the jacket or fully remove the FAKE HA writing. It is 100% fake. Like Carlos said, that makes it worse. I would not play around with it. It will NOT turn out well if the wrong person sees it. Save yourself from a very bad situation.

If you wear it out in public and a REAL 1%er notices it, you could be in a bad spot. He will remove it from you and take it. Not worth it. REAL outlaw bikers don't think highly of POSERS. It's a shame some idiot wrote that on an awesome and valuable jacket. Hopefully it is FULLY removable or it is beyond worthless, it is dangerous.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Hey all

I recently purchased a Schott one star horsehide from the late 50's, most of you probably saw the listing on ebay
After a few days of thinking i decided to purchase it, i don't know if it was a good move or not but i really wanted it, i paid 1650 pounds shipping included, 1920e after paypal scammed me on convertion fees

I received the jacket yesterday, it is a pretty cool jacket in great condition
But there is a problem, one of the past owner painted "hells angels" on the back, the guy never mentionned it on the ebay listing and it was not visible on the pictures
It is not very visible, you can hardly see it in full daylight, under unnatural light it is way more visible

So i'm torn between sending it back or keeping it, finding another one won't be easy, but i feel screwed, i don't believe the seller will agree on partial refund, he thought i was lying and trying to scam him, after i made a video of the problem he believed me but didn't offer any partial refund or any solution at all

That is why i would like to have your opinion on the matter
What do you think i should do ?

My options are :
-Sending it back
-Partial refund, unlikely to happen
-Fixing the problem ?
-Keeping it and feeling screwed
For now i'm tempted to send it back

Imgur album : https://imgur.com/a/mz7HnU1

Thanks in advance :)
View attachment 257113
View attachment 257116 View attachment 257114 View attachment 257115
I agree 100% start a return " not as described" upload your pictures and eBay will tell you send it back even if seller doesn't accept the return, bye bye helks angel perfecto

If you wear it out in public and a REAL 1%er notices it, you could be in a bad spot. He will remove it from you and take it. Not worth it. REAL outlaw bikers don't think highly of POSERS.

What's ironic is that there aren't any real outlaw bikers left anyway. The HA's are all posers anyway. Bikes are super expensive, hell, having a licence is expensive. The whole thing became a let's pretend so the HA thing on the back is just as silly. Anyone trying to take anyone's jacket would get sued. Sitting on a motorcycle doesn't make anyone special. Not anymore, provided it ever was something other then buying a motorcycle and riding around on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto