Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Black Stallion

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Monitor,

I left for two reasons. The first was that I felt like I was destined to be sitting at this desk doing what I felt was relatively unimportant work to society forever. Also once I had kids in my life I thought a lot more about what they see when they see me and I wanted them to shoot for a field they’re passionate about so how could I say that to them then sit at a desk. When you explain your job to a kid you realize how it really sounds and it makes the picture clearer.

second reason was financial, I joined the boilermaker union and made a good bit more money even as an apprentice than I was making at a desk job I had to get a college degree for! Go figure lol. I’m no longer with the union for a multitude of reasons but I still love welding and building motorcycles and the skills from my trade make that hobby more creative. If you’re on the fence, you’ve probably already decided and it’s just a matter of doing the research on how you can make the switch successfully. Dm me if you wanna talk more on this.

In the meantime there’s a 618hh on eBay I’m really considering buying if I can talk the guy down to 500. I really want a left hand pocket haha.

Mandarin

Practically Family
Ever since reading this thread, I've been looking for this model, but it's hard to find, in any size. I finally found an opportunity last december, in a size 40, and the brown version which is called Wild stallion. I knew this model tends to fit large, and I needed to downsize if I wanted a snug fit, but the measurements seemed OK for a 40 (I'm between 38 and 40). I must add an important detail, the previous owner had cut the lining out. I decided to take the risk: If it fit, great. If it didn't, I could either try to have it properly modified, or move it.
The jacket arrived, in pretty good condition, but it fit more like a size 44 than a 40. I took it to my seamstress and asked her if it would not ruin the proportions if I had it trimmed in the body and sleeves. She said it should be OK. So we decided to take an inch off each side , as well as trim the sleeve width by an inch. I also asked her to reline it.
The result is quite OK , considering it was unwearable when I received it. It now has my ideal measurements: 21' ptp, 18' at the hem, 18,5' in the shoulders, and 25' sleeves.
I was surprised by the leather. It's so supple it feels light and thin, but deceptively so: the jacket weighs 2.80 kgs (a little more than 6 lb). The top coat looks like paint, but it shows some nice graining in places.
Now for a few pics:

Wild stallion fit-1.jpg
Wild stallion fit-1-9.jpg
Wild stallion fit-1-4.jpg
Wild stallion fit-1-5.jpg
Wild stallion fit-1-8.jpg

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Wow! This is a fantastic job. What a talented seamstress to be able to make all those modifications especially on thick horsehide like this. That fit is absolutely perfect, great find man.

Subtle difference but I never realized the brown version has hidden snaps on the upper lapel where the black version has them exposed. I much prefer the hidden style.

This makes me hopeful that a talented seamstress could add the button snaps I would need it to fit my schott moulton collar to my jacket for those extra cold days.

Yeah, these jackets run large but damn, the leather is nice. I’m always looking for one of their Beck repros. A size 38 would almost do it for me . A 40 may be money. Crazy. I’m normally a 44.

Mandarin

Practically Family
Wow! This is a fantastic job. What a talented seamstress to be able to make all those modifications especially on thick horsehide like this. That fit is absolutely perfect, great find man.

Subtle difference but I never realized the brown version has hidden snaps on the upper lapel where the black version has them exposed. I much prefer the hidden style.

This makes me hopeful that a talented seamstress could add the button snaps I would need it to fit my schott moulton collar to my jacket for those extra cold days.

It's just the previous owner who removed the upper snaps.

Good luck with the mouton collar. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Ever since reading this thread, I've been looking for this model, but it's hard to find, in any size. I finally found an opportunity last december, in a size 40, and the brown version which is called Wild stallion. I knew this model tends to fit large, and I needed to downsize if I wanted a snug fit, but the measurements seemed OK for a 40 (I'm between 38 and 40). I must add an important detail, the previous owner had cut the lining out. I decided to take the risk: If it fit, great. If it didn't, I could either try to have it properly modified, or move it.
The jacket arrived, in pretty good condition, but it fit more like a size 44 than a 40. I took it to my seamstress and asked her if it would not ruin the proportions if I had it trimmed in the body and sleeves. She said it should be OK. So we decided to take an inch off each side , as well as trim the sleeve width by an inch. I also asked her to reline it.
The result is quite OK , considering it was unwearable when I received it. It now has my ideal measurements: 21' ptp, 18' at the hem, 18,5' in the shoulders, and 25' sleeves.
I was surprised by the leather. It's so supple it feels light and thin, but deceptively so: the jacket weighs 2.80 kgs (a little more than 6 lb). The top coat looks like paint, but it shows some nice graining in places.
Now for a few pics:

View attachment 314004 View attachment 314005 View attachment 314007 View attachment 314008 View attachment 314009
The leather on that looks great, it actually looks green on my screen (which would make it even better ;))

dannyk

One Too Many
Yeah, these jackets run large but damn, the leather is nice. I’m always looking for one of their Beck repros. A size 38 would almost do it for me . A 40 may be money. Crazy. I’m normally a 44.
I don’t need to tell you how much I want this in black. I’ve legitimately never seen one listed in my size though. And especially if they run large. I’m typically a 36 which would mean maybe a 34 in this? Damn genetics. At one point I was tall! I’ve been 5’7 since like 7th/8th grade. Never grew again haha.

I don’t need to tell you how much I want this in black. I’ve legitimately never seen one listed in my size though. And especially if they run large. I’m typically a 36 which would mean maybe a 34 in this? Damn genetics. At one point I was tall! I’ve been 5’7 since like 7th/8th grade. Never grew again haha.

Haha. Go for the vintage stuff. All I see are sizes where I ask if I starve myself for two weeks I may be able to get I into it lol.

Mandarin

Practically Family
@Mandarin where is your seamstress?!??!
Looks like great work.
Paris, France, perhaps a long way from Chicago.

I got her address from someone who sold me a jacket he had altered there. She's specialized in leather jackets and has a tiny workshop in the Bastille area. Since there aren't many like her, she's always very busy, and you need to be patient. I had 4 jackets repaired or altered by her.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

I got her address from someone who sold me a jacket he had altered there. She's specialized in leather jackets and has a tiny workshop in the Bastille area. Since there aren't many like her, she's always very busy, and you need to be patient. I had 4 jackets repaired or altered by her.
Ha! Yeah, that’s a bit of a long drive.

I'd literally send my 42 Schott for the same kind of alteration, if I am promised such perfect work! The jacket fits me great everywhere except in waist. Yours turned out 12/10!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo