Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Cow/Steer vs Horsehide.. can't decide.

dannyk

One Too Many
EBAEC8F5-4A40-43EB-95DC-330BDFAF4362.jpeg I’ll post a few photos of my 613SH next to the 618HH in some areas it’s for sure noticeable the thickness difference. 613SH is on top here so 618HH on bottom

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Well that is certainly a serious difference.

613SH it shall be. Since they're essentially the same amount of money and both horsehide it's an easy choice.

Thanks so much !!

dannyk

One Too Many
Hell... Now I want one too...
I have 0 money. Just took a weekend trip to Philly. Taking the car to the shop next weekend and in the process of buying a house with my gf. I woke up the other day and said I really need an Aero B-6. I have no winter leather jackets and I live in Buffalo, New York....I’m sure the rest of TFL is like this but as I only really peruse Outerwear it’s literally the worst place to come when trying to save money or tell yourself I have enough. I mean you know this, preaching to the choir.

I have 0 money. Just took a weekend trip to Philly. Taking the car to the shop next weekend and in the process of buying a house with my gf. I woke up the other day and said I really need an Aero B-6. I have no winter leather jackets and I live in Buffalo, New York....I’m sure the rest of TFL is like this but as I only really peruse Outerwear it’s literally the worst place to come when trying to save money or tell yourself I have enough. I mean you know this, preaching to the choir.

Literally the same. Each winter I'm whining about why haven't I ordered a [insert sheepskin jacket no. designation] and each winter I'm broke because I bought something entirely idiotic I won't even be able to wear for the next five months. Or because I'm broke in general.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Same here.... we get some cold weather here. Maybe a few days here and there. It dips into the low 40's in the mornings and evenings. I could probably get by with a sweater or hoodie... but life is too short.

I'm going to leave my windows open and sleep in my jacket to break it in and get more use out of it. I need help.

Peacoat

Bartender
This is a no brainer: You live in Buffalo; you need a heavy winter coat. Get a B-6 before it gets any colder up there. Maybe your girlfriend will buy it for you. When I was single, my girlfriends were always buying me stuff. That is just the nature of a girlfriend.

Edward

Bartender
TBH, I've always rather liked the uber-shiny look of a Schott in HH, but I could never bring myself to spend 'Aero money' on one. I have a standard steerhide 618 which I like very much, but I'd be hard pushed to pay retail for it. They've unfortunately shot up in price over here over the last five years or so - not helped by the weak pound.

dannyk

One Too Many
TBH, I've always rather liked the uber-shiny look of a Schott in HH, but I could never bring myself to spend 'Aero money' on one. I have a standard steerhide 618 which I like very much, but I'd be hard pushed to pay retail for it. They've unfortunately shot up in price over here over the last five years or so - not helped by the weak pound.
I agree. They age wonderfully and a truly broken in Schott is actually nicer than almost any other maker. They truly are a thing to wonder at. Buuuuttt if the price difference between a Schott and an “top tier” maker is a couple hundred it is hard to justify. When you can pick your leather, color, hardware, and custom fit...yeahhhh.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
What @Carlos840 and @Harris HTM said. Though I find naked cowhide to be the heaviest. At least the few jackets I had. Steer is a very tough hide, though.

As for the horsehide, yeah, it starts off looking like a plastic garbage bag but it ages extremely well. Hard to find a better looking jacket than a well worn in Schott HH. Though not many get there... Sadly.

They're all really nice jackets, though. You can't go wrong with either though I'd hunt for one on eBay as they've gotten really pricey as of late and getting the right fit can really be a gamble. But if you land a good Schott Perfecto, you're pretty much done.

My wife was into punk rock, here in NYC, in the late 70s and early 80s. She still owns and can wear her black Frye engineer boots and her 1980 Schott Perfecto jacket. My wife is 4’11” but owns a size 40. She never really broke it in as I’d bet she mainly wore it on weekend evenings but not every weekend. She even let my female cousin have and wear the jacket for a few years about 15 years ago....that still didn’t break it in. My wife hasn’t worn it much in the 17 years that we’ve been married. However, HBO is having their employees dress up today, so she went as Joan Jett. The back of the jacket was painted for my wife all those years ago by a professional artist in the village. However, I tried it on this morning and it fits me perfectly. Until this morning, I hadn’t realized how trim fitting these jackets are as I, typically, am a size 38 at best.

Nonetheless, it’s a great jacket that’s built like a tank. And, it’s very rock ‘n’ roll.

- Ian

Colin G

One Too Many
I had a Schott 689H in horse hide.

It was shiny at first and took a while to break in so you have to earn it and not get it handed to you in that respect.

The jacket was tough and warm (it was insulated) and the only reason I moved it on is that it was too large for me.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I agree. They age wonderfully and a truly broken in Schott is actually nicer than almost any other maker. They truly are a thing to wonder at. Buuuuttt if the price difference between a Schott and an “top tier” maker is a couple hundred it is hard to justify. When you can pick your leather, color, hardware, and custom fit...yeahhhh.

Agreed. When they were £300 and an Aero was £500, that was probably about right for my tastes. Now the same Aero is £650 and the Schott is £550 new in most places I see, not so much. In the US of course they're a much better deal, but here the 618 is now pretty much the same price as the equivalent Vanson....

My wife was into punk rock, here in NYC, in the late 70s and early 80s. She still owns and can wear her black Frye engineer boots and her 1980 Schott Perfecto jacket. My wife is 4’11” but owns a size 40. She never really broke it in as I’d bet she mainly wore it on weekend evenings but not every weekend. She even let my female cousin have and wear the jacket for a few years about 15 years ago....that still didn’t break it in. My wife hasn’t worn it much in the 17 years that we’ve been married. However, HBO is having their employees dress up today, so she went as Joan Jett. The back of the jacket was painted for my wife all those years ago by a professional artist in the village. However, I tried it on this morning and it fits me perfectly. Until this morning, I hadn’t realized how trim fitting these jackets are as I, typically, am a size 38 at best.

Nonetheless, it’s a great jacket that’s built like a tank. And, it’s very rock ‘n’ roll.

- Ian

Yes, very much so. Whereas I tend to be a 46 in a suit in the UK, and a UK44/US42 in most leather jackets (anywhere between 23" and 25" p2p, depending on cut), I had to go up to a 46 in a Schott 618, and that is a neat fit (if it tapered like the Aero MC, I'd have to wear a 48 in the Schott). Damn you, Joey Ramone! ;) Actually, I have wondered whether the fact that so many girls have worn the men's cut Perfectos over the years has contributed to just how slim the 613/618 are.... the 611 is different, each size's measurements corresponding to one-size down in the 613/618.

Edward

Bartender
BTW.... what was painted on that jacket of your wife's? I've always been halfway tempted to have one done with the Ramones' presidential seal for wearing to gigs, but it would jar with my day to day "nowt after 1959" look.... (I haveacheaper P copy with the BRMC colours on it from a costume years ago, which is cool but doesn't get much wear...).

dannyk

One Too Many
BTW.... what was painted on that jacket of your wife's? I've always been halfway tempted to have one done with the Ramones' presidential seal for wearing to gigs, but it would jar with my day to day "nowt after 1959" look.... (I haveacheaper P copy with the BRMC colours on it from a costume years ago, which is cool but doesn't get much wear...).
In regards to a post on a different thread somewhat related. I have received my Strummerville and my MC50 Jail Guitar Doors pins. Going to throw them on my jacket and will try to get pictures of that when I have a chance.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family

I’m not sure what number her Perfecto. I don’t know much about them and didn’t look for one. I just saw the label which read Schott Perfecto, Made In The USA and size 40. She told me she purchased it around 1980.

I’ll take a picture or two after she gets home. But it’s a custom paint job. Whoever did it was not only an artist, but knew what they were doing when it came to painting a jacket since the paint still looks nearly perfect after nearly 40 years...no paint loss or fading, as far as I could tell keeping in mind that a teenager possessed it from about 2002 to 2007.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family

As per request:

rjIEgke.jpg

WuBeg0p.jpg

WPDpg5D.jpg

- Ian

ai00344

One of the Regulars
I had a Schott 689H in horse hide.

It was shiny at first and took a while to break in so you have to earn it and not get it handed to you in that respect.

The jacket was tough and warm (it was insulated) and the only reason I moved it on is that it was too large for me.
I have a 689 as well, great jacket. Sizing is tricky as you point out as Schott recommends you go up one size in this model. I ordered one size up and wish I had just gone with my regular suit size. I kept mine and use it to layer in the cool weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points