Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott PER70 Perfecto Review

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Monitor, thanks for all the info. I always had a vague interest in Perfectos but whenever I took a closer look I ended up being confused with different models, different hides, different size-recommendations. It all got worse when they started to issue more fashion oriented stuff. In the end, I ended up buying exactly the wrong model for my taste some five years ago. I am sure it´s not a bad jacket, and I hope somebody will like it once I find the nerve to put it up for sale.

Actually, all I would have needed is your write-up here.

Needless to say: Great jacket!

TMP

Familiar Face
The Perfecto is not a style I could see myself wearing, but I have to say this one is such a great example of the style. The pocket placement is spot on and creates a harmonious look that a lot of these type of jackets lack. Like the silver colored (nickel?) hardware too. I wonder if more mainstream jacket makers should take a cue from the guitar world where Fender and Gibson have their normal range, and a "custom shop" where a bit more care and time is spent on the details. This strikes me as a "custom shop" jacket. Wear it in good health.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Great write up and the jacket looks nice, but it looks much better when you wear it. That's when it really shines. Looks like a nice cut. I don't like the distressed leather (similar complaint to my own RMC - just leave the damn leather alone ya weirdo leather jacket makers), but otherwise it looks nice. Would almost make me interested in one if Schotts weren't all way too long for me.

Some fit pics.

20210218-113654.jpg

20210218-113713.jpg

20210218-113734.jpg

20210218-113915.jpg

20210218-113513.jpg

20210218-113534.jpg

chollie

One of the Regulars
My perfecto journey was a long one to find the right style and fit. I'm a pretty solid size 40 so a 38 in 118 seemed like a pretty solid bet. Problem is that the 38 is one inch shorter in the body than a 40. Their long sizes add 2 inches in the body and one inch in the sleeves. So I ended up buying a 38 Long (so ultimately one inch longer in the body than a 40) and having the sleeves taken up an inch. Added a mouton collar that I got for xmas and damn that jacket is so completely badass now.

I'm thinking of getting the gussets removed from the sleeve zips...I never wear it without them zipped and it seems like it would just make it cleaner and more comfortable. Has anyone out there done this on theirs?

My perfecto journey was a long one to find the right style and fit. I'm a pretty solid size 40 so a 38 in 118 seemed like a pretty solid bet. Problem is that the 38 is one inch shorter in the body than a 40. Their long sizes add 2 inches in the body and one inch in the sleeves. So I ended up buying a 38 Long (so ultimately one inch longer in the body than a 40) and having the sleeves taken up an inch. Added a mouton collar that I got for xmas and damn that jacket is so completely badass now.

I'm thinking of getting the gussets removed from the sleeve zips...I never wear it without them zipped and it seems like it would just make it cleaner and more comfortable. Has anyone out there done this on theirs?

Getting that right Perfecto takes a while but it's totally worth it, if I am to be asked. Like @jeo said earlier, they just nailed the details so right, pocket placement, size & angle, that clean back, etc. that no other cross zip in this style can visually compete. Except for Vanson and Bates. The rest falls behind.

Anyhow, I've seen a few Perfectos without sleeve gussets and it looked just fine. Lots of very early motorcycle leather jackets didn't even have them so removing the gussets isn't a big deal. :)

Reactions: jeo

chollie

One of the Regulars
Anyhow, I've seen a few Perfectos without sleeve gussets and it looked just fine. Lots of very early motorcycle leather jackets didn't even have them so removing the gussets isn't a big deal. :)
I've got a Vanson PLU-3 and the first owner removed them...but a less involved process since the gussets weren't stitched into the liner. On that coat you could just do it yourself with a razor and steady hand. I may look into it!

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
Getting that right Perfecto takes a while but it's totally worth it, if I am to be asked. Like @jeo said earlier, they just nailed the details so right, pocket placement, size & angle, that clean back, etc. that no other cross zip in this style can visually compete.

And not just that but also the shape/size of the collar. Some Perfectos look better than others in that regard and IMO it's hard to achieve that perfect shape/balance of the collar compared to the rest of the jacket. Yours looks great there too.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great fit, great proportion on the jacket so you don't have to buy too small and have too short on the sleeve to get the rockstar fit. beeswax it here and there to catch light and look shiny on some places :)

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I just noticed the waves in the zipper. And I read some of the reviews on Schott website for this model and Cafe style. Lots of people mention the "warped" zipper.

So they are probably washing and drying to achieve some vintageness. I wonder how uniform this could be and if sizing might vary? In any case, it affirms my previous habit of washing jackets and throwing them in the dryer. Was gun shy at first, but now I do it all the time, especially on an old used jacket (not wearing 50 years of some guy's sweat) or jackets that are slightly big. If they seem to be fragile, I just dunk them in a bucket with some dawn rather than put them through a wash cycle. But all of them get blasted on high heat in the dryer for 30-90 minutes depending.

I did it with my 519 because the large was slightly big and the grain really popped afterwards. Also took off some of the waxed leather shine. Can't tell you how close I was to selling that thing a few times. But now I'm looking forward to getting some of those wear marks. The fit improved, less boxy and more hour glass, also shortened some. And like I said, the leather just transformed.

I also wonder if they're taking some sand paper or nail polish remover to some of those stress points and seams. Or just tumble drying the hell out of it. All of that hardware smacking up against the leather if you're doing it in a big industrial dryer with several jackets banging into each other must create some nice wear. I've thought about experimenting on a jacket with maybe throwing some tennis shoes in the dryer with it. Yes, you can tell, Covid is really boring the hell out of me and I've been experimenting LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko