Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott permanently closes Chicago location

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Back to Schott as it were...My Schott 441PP collared café racer at Sorrento Beach in Perth Western Australia.
I am 61 so obviously I must "look like middle aged guy in a leather jacket?"
Chit I never thought of it that way haha..
Schott 441PP Sorrento 1.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I get compliments on the Highwayman and the Maxwell infrequently, and a friend at the pub once really praised the Aero Cafe Racer I have, but most people who know me know that I'm generally to be found in a leather jacket and a pair of Carhartts and therefore aren't surprised if they see me wearing that kind of clothing. The jackets don't seem to attract midlife crisis comments, although I am 41 and have seriously grey locks - as my jackets get worn quite hard, they don't look new, like recent purchases of thin mall jackets. I don't wear black leather much at all, and generally think that browns and cordovans are better for me and I prefer a fit I can put a hoodie or thick flannel shirt under- the lounge has taught me quite a lot about what other people think about fit, although I'm still more likely to reckon that a bit of extra room suits most folks far more than a tight fit- and sometimes even extra sleeve length of an inch or so isn't an issue, at least to me.

I've found that it's better to have alternatives to leather to wear as well - a heavy cotton chore coat or a Carhartt Detroit jacket is good from time to time. Bearing in mind that I don't ride a bike or have any functional call to be wearing a leather jacket, I wouldn't want to be thought of as 'leather guy', but I also think that you shouldn't worry overly much about what other people might be thinking unless they employ you or can do you damage. Do you look like a middle-aged guy in a leather jacket? If you are 35-55, yes, you do, but there are different kinds of middle-aged guy and better and worse fits of jackets. What makes a lot of difference is the gut - most leather jackets (and most clothing) look far, far better on people who don't carry extra weight - for people who do, the error seems to be 'sizing down'. People notice fit far more on things that aren't leather - overcoats, suits, etc. With leather being a fairly casual item, people probably expect a bit of extra. A little too loose is better than too tight, but some of that perception will come from what else the person's wearing underneath - fit of jacket alone is sometimes a 'depends' thing.

I'm fortunate I guess that I am tall and thin. I also wear jackets that fit. But I don't think people really notice this. I suspect that for many people a leather jacket kind of screams Bruce Willis or worse, John Cusak in High Fidelity.

Eeek

Bruce-Willis-Looper-Leather-Jacket-3.jpg

or
Cusak.jpg

EEEEEEEEKKK!!

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm fortunate I guess that I am tall and thin. I also wear jackets that fit. But I don't think people really notice this. I suspect that for many people a leather jacket kind of screams Bruce Willis or worse, John Cusak in High Fidelity.

Eeek

View attachment 241604

or
View attachment 241605

EEEEEEEEKKK!!

I agree. I think that a jacket needs to be a sort of minimal item - cafe racer jackets, half-belt styles with as few extra bits as possible and preferably worn with fairly low-key stuff, too. My next buy is probably going to be a Pike Bros deck jacket, and, when I relocate to Shanghai again, I'm going to try to take 3 jackets and a coat that aren't leather and only one short jacket that is...

In terms of getting compliments - I think this also sometimes happens when people see you have a particular look, or are wearing something a bit different. They might even have a sense that you are trying for something in your appearance. Even if they don't really dig it, they may be inclined to say, 'nice jacket/hat/hairstyle'. I think that's human nature.

That's exactly it - Wearing a well fitting garment is only half the job and won't automatically make you a remarkably dressed person with a great sense of style. But actually having a style, that's another story altogether and one that will get you noticed.
I don't much care for a perfectly tailored leather jacket but if you wear it well, it can be all sorts of off and the wearer can still look awesome.

As for the compliments, those people that complimented your jackets, they liked you. People will compliment your jacket if they believe the wearer is approachable. They won't just only notice a good looking jacket on a person they find off putting and even if they do, they sure won't care to approach them to compliment it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i never really expect compliment, as I also don't do that to strangers, if there is like button in real world I would press it, but verbal compliment rarely unless I know the person, and I know the person like compliment. to truly give compliment you must share similar interest like in a place like this I think.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what Schott Chicago did with their stock. They had a car coat I really liked that isn’t featured on their website. According to staff it wasn’t a U.S. release. Weird thing. It was released in black and brown. The sizing for brown 34,36,38....
The sizing for black 34,38.... skipping 36
I called Schott L.A. and N.Y. and confirmed this.
I may have considered slightly big or slightly small if their was a discount.

Edward

Bartender
Yes when I was living in the 'Dam nearly 20 years ago "armoured" jackets, mostly nylon, seemed so ubiquitous among motorcycle riders that I assumed it must've been required by E.U. law (a big change coming from a U.S. state that doesn't even require helmets).

No, just a cultural difference. The only compulsory item across the EU is a helmet (which must carry the approriate ECE standards - DOT is much lower and not sufficient for UK/EU use). As a rule, most bikers across Europe, including the UK, are simply more likely to wear the full protective gear. I've always put it down to cultural differences, and possibly the climate. It's generally, evne in the height of Summer, possible in Europe to wear protective gear. Thuogh of course I still see idiots in shorts and not much else riding at speed and taking risks on both racing bikes and over-powered scooters here in London, so there many also be an element of temperament and experience to it. Many bikers who've been around that I know and see wearing more protective gear have either had bad offs themselves or had friends experience it. My dad knows a biker pastor who lives up round the NE coast back in Ireland; about adozen years ago he had to do a funeral for a young lady who landed and slid on her front in an off. Open jacket, openface helmet, and the end result was a very closed coffin cause they couldn't rebuild her enough for an open casket option.

All riding is, of course, a level of managed risk, and all individuals will make their hoice as to how far they feel comfortable with protective clothing to mitigate that risk.

There is an ECE standard for riding clothing other than helmets, but a helmet remains the only legal requirement. This predates the EU/EEC in most European countries. In the UK, helmets came in as compulsory in 73, at a time when 80% of riders were already wearing them voluntarily. I expect we'll never see protective clothing as a legal requirement for the roads as it would simply be too hard to enforce, though I'm always surprised that fully open face helmets are still legal. Interstingly, though, there are fewer of those around now as many people switch to a mx style or something like a Biltwell Gringo with no visor as a compromise.

I never considered Schott as a 'dedicated' MC jacket, at least not to the caliber of Vanson or a few others. They may have the look..but not the specially constructed pattern that fits for easy comfortable riding.

Schott originally sold themselves as MC wear (though tbh I very much doubt their claim to have been the first company ever to make dedicate mc wear), but yes there is definitely a point somewhere in time where they began to focus more on the fashion market as that is where the sales are. To pinponit that, you'd probably need to look at the point in time where motorcycling became less common than once it was, and where many motorcyclists started wearing textiles instead of leather.

No, they don't. We are wasting tremendous amount of time and money with these jackets, thinking they make a difference. But they do to us so I guess it's okay. But nobody notices them for anything special, no.

Whther it's tiem wasted really does depend on whether you do it for yourself or someone else, surely...

Hmm..I've gotten quite a few compliments from people on the street, standing in line at the bank, at the grocery store,etc. on my Aeros and Thedis. Some have spoken out loudly to get my attention ( kind of embarrassing ) and express their delight with my unusual fine looking jacket. In fact I gave a guy Aero's contact info. He seemed thrilled. Not sure what he thought later when he noticed the prices though. I think many are just not aware of these top tier jacket makers.

Some people do have an eye for aquality product worn well, even if they don't know the niche. Surely a lot of us must have stumbled across it somewhere that way - especially in the pre-web days?

but I also think that you shouldn't worry overly much about what other people might be thinking unless they employ you or can do you damage.

THIS.

It's a bit like the notion there was at a time that jeans are "for kids under 40". Everything that is initially marketed to younger people will go through that, but ultimately will often be caried on into old age by the once youths.... My own father has always worn a pair of jeans casually (as well as trousers), and he's now 73. His father would never have dreamed of wearing them (I very much doubt Granda Marlowe ever owned a pair of jeans in his life, they just weren't a thing in Ireland in the 30s/40s which were his wild youth); indeed, I honestly think the only time I can remember him not wearing a collar and tie was in a hospital bed towards the end of his life. My dad was very much the generation that came of age in the Sixties. Less casual than most folks my age, but very much the First Jeans Generation in that sense (during the historical period of denim as exclusively workwear, in Ireland and Britain both you'd have seen corduroy and moleskin in that role). These things have changed with generation; jeans are no longer the preserve of kids. The idea that there should be an age limit on wardrobe is very much one perpetuated by GQ and Esquire, not reality.

(That said, my own prejudice is against men over the age of sixteen wearing short trousers; they're the one item of legwear I hate more than flares! I won't claim that to be anything other than subjective, persona

I'm well past middle age...but feel just as stylish and comfortable in my leather jackets as you young Whippersnappers do.:D

Wearing my Detroits brings out more of my charming ruggedness.....

HD

Ah, see, I on the other hand look forward to being able to get away with my crabby old man routine on grounds of age... ;)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
No, just a cultural difference. The only compulsory item across the EU is a helmet (which must carry the approriate ECE standards - DOT is much lower and not sufficient for UK/EU use). As a rule, most bikers across Europe, including the UK, are simply more likely to wear the full protective gear. I've always put it down to cultural differences, and possibly the climate. It's generally, evne in the height of Summer, possible in Europe to wear protective gear. Thuogh of course I still see idiots in shorts and not much else riding at speed and taking risks on both racing bikes and over-powered scooters here in London, so there many also be an element of temperament and experience to it. Many bikers who've been around that I know and see wearing more protective gear have either had bad offs themselves or had friends experience it. My dad knows a biker pastor who lives up round the NE coast back in Ireland; about adozen years ago he had to do a funeral for a young lady who landed and slid on her front in an off. Open jacket, openface helmet, and the end result was a very closed coffin cause they couldn't rebuild her enough for an open casket option.

All riding is, of course, a level of managed risk, and all individuals will make their hoice as to how far they feel comfortable with protective clothing to mitigate that risk.

There is an ECE standard for riding clothing other than helmets, but a helmet remains the only legal requirement. This predates the EU/EEC in most European countries. In the UK, helmets came in as compulsory in 73, at a time when 80% of riders were already wearing them voluntarily. I expect we'll never see protective clothing as a legal requirement for the roads as it would simply be too hard to enforce, though I'm always surprised that fully open face helmets are still legal. Interstingly, though, there are fewer of those around now as many people switch to a mx style or something like a Biltwell Gringo with no visor as a compromise.

Schott originally sold themselves as MC wear (though tbh I very much doubt their claim to have been the first company ever to make dedicate mc wear), but yes there is definitely a point somewhere in time where they began to focus more on the fashion market as that is where the sales are. To pinponit that, you'd probably need to look at the point in time where motorcycling became less common than once it was, and where many motorcyclists started wearing textiles instead of leather.

Whther it's tiem wasted really does depend on whether you do it for yourself or someone else, surely...

Some people do have an eye for aquality product worn well, even if they don't know the niche. Surely a lot of us must have stumbled across it somewhere that way - especially in the pre-web days?

THIS.

It's a bit like the notion there was at a time that jeans are "for kids under 40". Everything that is initially marketed to younger people will go through that, but ultimately will often be caried on into old age by the once youths.... My own father has always worn a pair of jeans casually (as well as trousers), and he's now 73. His father would never have dreamed of wearing them (I very much doubt Granda Marlowe ever owned a pair of jeans in his life, they just weren't a thing in Ireland in the 30s/40s which were his wild youth); indeed, I honestly think the only time I can remember him not wearing a collar and tie was in a hospital bed towards the end of his life. My dad was very much the generation that came of age in the Sixties. Less casual than most folks my age, but very much the First Jeans Generation in that sense (during the historical period of denim as exclusively workwear, in Ireland and Britain both you'd have seen corduroy and moleskin in that role). These things have changed with generation; jeans are no longer the preserve of kids. The idea that there should be an age limit on wardrobe is very much one perpetuated by GQ and Esquire, not reality.

(That said, my own prejudice is against men over the age of sixteen wearing short trousers; they're the one item of legwear I hate more than flares! I won't claim that to be anything other than subjective, persona

Ah, see, I on the other hand look forward to being able to get away with my crabby old man routine on grounds of age... ;)

Your first point isn't entirely accurate: "The only compulsory item across the EU is a helmet"
In Belgium for example you must by law wear a long sleeve jacket, long trousers as well as gloves and boots protecting the ankle.
Riding in full gear but with trainers will get you stopped and fined by the police.

I don't know the rules for every EU country, but we can't be the only one asking for more than a helmet...

Edward

Bartender
Your first point isn't entirely accurate: "The only compulsory item across the EU is a helmet"
In Belgium for example you must by law wear a long sleeve jacket, long trousers as well as gloves and boots protecting the ankle.
Riding in full gear but with trainers will get you stopped and fined by the police.

I don't know the rules for every EU country, but we can't be the only one asking for more than a helmet...

Yeah, I confused my EU levle and nationla levels again, ha... Interesting point on Belgian law, though, I wasn't aware of that. Having seen some of the idiots riding faster than is entirely safe round my way recent in a t shirt and a pair of shorts that does seem sensible. Interesting, though, that the specification as you describe it is only visual, rather than any particular safety standard, which would be much harder to enforce without some seriously draconian policies. Is that generally accepted without fuss in Belgium? Belgian's don't strike me as the type to object to something just because the government asked them to do it. My experience of Belgium outside of Brussels is sadly limited (I've been to Leuven once and Namur several times) - though I can't say I've seen a whole lot of Brussels as I was only there for work. I've seen a lot of commissionbuildings and some nice restaurants....

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Having seen some of the idiots riding faster than is entirely safe round my way recent in a t shirt and a pair of shorts that does seem sensible. Interesting, though, that the specification as you describe it is only visual, rather than any particular safety standard, which would be much harder to enforce without some seriously draconian policies. Is that generally accepted without fuss in Belgium?

Agreed, you could be wearing a dress suite and that would be deemed safer than shorts and T shirt, which isn't really true. But as you say it's easier to enforce than trying to stop people to make sure their armour is CE level 2.

It is accepted by the motorcycle community, most "real" motorcycle riders will always go out in full gear.
Moped riders on the other hand don't care, you still see them in shorts and T shirts and getting away with it.

Edward

Bartender
It is accepted by the motorcycle community, most "real" motorcycle riders will always go out in full gear.
Moped riders on the other hand don't care, you still see them in shorts and T shirts and getting away with it.

THat's a significant difference I see in London too. I've always been curious as to why that is. I initially wondered if it was down to just much younger kids who can be more open to taking risks being on scooters before progressing to a bigger bike, but I see it with people of all ages. I suppose the one big difference is that with a step through frame you're more able to jump clear from a spill rather than be dragged under a bike, but even so it seems odd to me, especially with the bigger scooters available now.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think, part of the reason, would be the fact that it takes more work to get a full license as opposed to the CBT. It is also cultural as you pointed as most serious riders will be encouraging you to wear full gear. "you'd better get proper boots, you don't want to break your ankles", "where are your gloves?", etc...

Edit: typos

And meanwhile, here in Chicago I see guys screaming down the Dan Ryan in nothing more than a tank top, shorts and flip flops with ‘Ole girl hanging on for dear life on a seat not fit to hold a single slice of bread. Gives me chills every time. Two water balloons attached to a rocket. Godspeed.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
And meanwhile, here in Chicago I see guys screaming down the Dan Ryan in nothing more than a tank top, shorts and flip flops with ‘Ole girl hanging on for dear life on a seat not fit to hold a single slice of bread. Gives me chills every time. Two water balloons attached to a rocket. Godspeed.

Let's not forget this dude:

OxlMsS6.jpg

He tore his leathers during a run at 147mph and thought it best to get rid of them and try again wearing nothing but a shower cap, bathing suit and sneakers! He actually went 150mph like that...

Harris HTM

One Too Many
In Greece, where I've spent 26 years, traditionally wearing a helmet on your bike or a safety belt while in your car is considered a sign of sissyness by a luckily diminishing part of the male population. Sometimes it makes me wonder, how can such a huge concentration of stupidity can exist on someone's head without causing an explosion.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Man i hope there is special more relaxed rule for riding bike at low speed. I ride bike to buy bread, to buy canned cat food, to atm, going at bicycle speed 30 40 kmh, i really dont need helmet from falling at those speed, if the accident involving another vehicle then helmet surely wont matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk