Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott vs Eastman warmth

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
Hi!

I bought a Schott 257s in january 2021. I have used it a lot in the Norwegian winter! And i love it. Never been cold with the jacket, even as cold as -20 c.

Recently i bought a Eastman B3 as well. Altough i love my Schott i still wanted the big daddy of all the flight jackets!

Yesterday i did the first test outside. It was only -4 c and i was out for two hours with my kids. And to my big surprise i was freezing! I was so cold that i was actually shaking.

I used my Schott the week before in -14c with the same layering (and much colder than that before) with no problems at all!

I still like the jacket! Its awesome! But it seems like Schott has a much better (thicker?) sheepskin to keep the cold out!

The difference was huge! I have actually never been so cold outside with my kids ever, no matter wich jacket!

Aren’t Eastman that warm? Anyone else that lives in very cold areas that use Eastman B3 as a winter jacket? Please share your experience!

I haven't handled a B-3 by Eastman but I do have first hand experience with the ones made by Schott which, whilst somewhat lacking in finish and overall styling, are indeed monstrously heavy & thicc & plushy so I can hear what you're saying.

Older Avirex B-3 (styled) jackets that I have seen indeed do appear to be constructed from what I believe qualifies as the warmest shearling available and Schott B-3's felt oddly similar. I think both companies used to source sheepskin from the same tanner, though this isn't really relevant at this point.

But yeah, Schott uses really heavy-weight sheepskin.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Which Eastman did you buy? They have one on their ELMC line (concho, I think) that is fire. Less bulky etc and I think they use thinner sheepskin. But that jacket is grail for me.

I have an Aero b3 with prob 20mm and a toys Mccoy with prob 12-15mm. I can tell you the difference is exponential. I'm wearing my toys today with 60 F weather. I'd pass out with my aero.

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
Which Eastman did you buy? They have one on their ELMC line (concho, I think) that is fire. Less bulky etc and I think they use thinner sheepskin. But that jacket is grail for me.

I have an Aero b3 with prob 20mm and a toys Mccoy with prob 12-15mm. I can tell you the difference is exponential. I'm wearing my toys today with 60 F weather. I'd pass out with my aero.
I have the Werber Sportswear. Have no idea how thick the sheepskin is, but it does not feel very warm (for my area)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner