Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotch 101

dman

New in Town
God knows drinking Scotch doesn't have to be expensive or refined experience. None of those bourgeois crystal decanters or nice glasses for me. I have often enjoyed Glen Salen when it I have found it on sale for 13 dollars (16 regularly). It's delicious and half the bottle in you don't really care what it is you're drinking. There's another blend I would recognize if I saw it. It comes in a green rectangular bottle. It's only around 12 dollars. Maybe it starts with a B. I don't know. (Wait now I remember, Ballantine's) Everyone knows that wine gives a loving drunk, beer is a messy drowsy drunk, and, for me, Scotch is an extremely alert drunk. I also tend to be much funnier, much more handsome, and far more interesting when I've been drinking scotch.

I'm young. I don't want to just rest a while and sip fine (expensive) single malts. I've got to many things to see. It's nice to sip on some now and again, but good stuff doesn't have to cost an arm and leg.

ShortClara

One Too Many
dman said:
half the bottle in you don't really care what it is you're drinking.

Truer words were never spoke. Half a bottle in I don't know my name. But I'm small and therefore, a cheap date.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I tend to only drink singles, and for a relatively inexpensive single I'd suggest Glenlivet 12 year. I actually like the 12 better than any of their other offerings.

There's an excellent Islay blend I'm working on that's only two malts, one from each end of Islay, called Wholly Smoke, that is wonderful, but I'm a fan of Islays. As far as I know you can only get it at Oddbins, though.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Dalwhinnie was my first.I was going through a rough time and my favourite neighbour showed up at my door one evening with a bottle under her coat.Since then I have tried many singles...Glenmorangie,Lagavulin...really, any of the ones mentioned already are wonderful, you can't go wrong.But there is also nothing wrong with a good blend.It is an art in itself.Really, LD, my best advice would be to try a lot.They all have such different personalities and like meeting Mr Right..you'll know it when you see it. It will just feel right and you'll have a friend for life:)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I would agree that blends aren't the best to start with, though they are blended for flavor, so they might be easier on the palate. I am partial to Laphroiag, but I think it runs over $50 a bottle. Been awhile since I indulged. I had a bottle of the Balvenie for awhile and hated it. *yucky* Got it as a present though, so drank it eventually.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I am partial to Laphroiag, but I think it runs over $50 a bottle. Been awhile since I indulged.

Laphroaig is hands down my favorite scotch. I liked it from the opening of the bottle, no 'learning to like it' period, which is apparently not normal from what I've read. It is pricey, but worth every penny! I'd like to try the quarter cask, but I'm thinking I might buy that for myself and put it away for when I finish my MA.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Dalwhinnie and Glengoyne are great if you want a mild scotch with little or no peat.

Lagavulin and Laphroaig (two of my favorites) are at the other end of the scale; very peaty.

The Macallen is somewhere in the middle.

If you want a scotch with a nice finish (a bit sweet), try Glenmoragie Port Wood . They have just updated their entire line so it will either be listed as Port Wood (old name and bottle) or under the new name Quinta Ruban.

Honestly, as wldthistle stated earlier, try to get the six classic single malt miniatures. Gives you a good range from little peat all the way to a nice peaty Lagavulin.

Dr Doran

Nick D said:
Laphroaig is hands down my favorite scotch. I liked it from the opening of the bottle, no 'learning to like it' period, which is apparently not normal from what I've read. It is pricey, but worth every penny!.

I agree it is worth every penny. HOWEVER from what I have heard, some folks find Laphroaig hard at first. "Medicinal," they say. Just a caveat.

The 6-pack starter pack is a great idea! A proper "101 course" for Scotch. Then for a "graduate seminar" for Scotch, let's all get together and each one of us bring a bottle. At my house, eh wot? Northern California. All are invited.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Nick D said:
Laphroaig is hands down my favorite scotch. I liked it from the opening of the bottle, no 'learning to like it' period

Same. I didn't know it was "hard to love" till someone else told me. I love the flavor! Of course, I graduated to Scotch from Bourbon - Bourbon stopped being strong and started tasting very sweet to me, so I wanted something a bit more complex. I guess my palate had developed! lol

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
I agree it is worth every penny. HOWEVER from what I have heard, some folks find Laphroaig hard at first. "Medicinal," they say. Just a caveat.

That is an understatement. One scotch book I have started their description of Laphroaig this way:
"The most extraordinary terms have been used trying to describe the taste of Laphroaig: disinfectant, diesel fuel, tar,..."

Now as I said above, I love Laphroaig but most people that have tasted it seem to either love it, or hate it. I've never had anyone that has been on the fence. :)

Eh? I was getting many of my malts - say, Glenfiddich, The Glenlivet, Glenmorangie et al. - for between $20 and $30 in Indiana. Admittedly these are some of the least interesting of the Scottish whiskeys, but the good stuff - Laphroaig, Ardbeg et al. - weren't that much more expensive.

Are prices really that variable in the US?

bk

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yes, there can even be variation from store to store in the same town. I had it mapped in my hometown where to get my favorite whiskies, beers, and wines for a considerable savings.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Not much I can add here. But for a beginner I'd recommend the Dalwhinnnie (mentioned earlier) or the Glen Morangie Portwood Finish (a great smooth Sctoch).

My favorite is probably the McCallan or maybe the Talisker. I keep gravitating back to the Islay's though.

Much like the lable on the Laphroiag:

"A touch aloof at first, but make the effort, broach acquaintance, and you'll have a wam and genuine friend for life"

The Islay's are really complex, and many don't like them. Very Iodiny, and peaty... But truly what Scotch is all about.

I prefer mine neat, in a Riedel glass (most suggest a few drops of spring water to release the true spirit and that's good to). I'd never add ice (my personal preference).

The last thing I'd add. It's truly a gentle drink and two nice pours and I sleep very well, and awake with no after taste etc.

Steve

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have no idea what i costs is the USA, but I recently picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie "Cellar 13." That is a nice, light yellow whisky that is matured in 1st fill casks: Casks that are used for the first time. That gives it a plesantly complex taste, it it fresh and interesting, but still mild and smooth with a distinct touch of vanilla. A very well behaved scotch, and I think it will be good for a scotch noobie.

Oh, and everything portwood!

Yes, that's what the thread is about after all.

I would recommend for a newcomer to search through the malts made in the north east of Scotland, in and around (generally north of) the Grampian mountains, in the region loosely bounded by Keith, Dufftown, Elgin and Buckie. These are the light yellow whiskeys, and generally relatively inexpensive. Go for a 10 year old single malt (i find the biggest difference in these whiskys is between 8 and 10 years . . . the incremental differences above 10 years are less pronounced, though distinct) and you'll be well within the $40 bracket. They're not very complex, and i have always struggled to tell the difference between brands. If you like them, fine. I love them, but i prefer the West Coast and island malts much discussed above. More body, more aroma, and far more complex. But i wouldn't recommend for a beginner. Only because if you don't like them, that's going to be your only exposure to whisky and you'll never try any of the milder ones because of the associations.

Always with a touch of water (my personal preference).

bk

Highlander

A-List Customer
First off, Helen of Troy, thanks for the Heads up on the Glenmorangie "Cellar 13." I have to find it.. (Sad that the French bought the distillery).. But I still love the Glenmorangie.

Baron Kurtz, I totally agree, for years I wanted to like Scotch. But two things, One, I didn't know how to drink it (tossing it back like a Bourbon in a Western Movie), and drinking harsherII later learned the proper term would be COMPLEX:) ) Scotch than I knew how to appreciate.

But my first real "Sipping" experience was the GM Portwood, and I fell in love, then the Dalwhinnie... From there, my friend that I throw darts with on Fridays and I expanded our collection to include almost every Single Malt we could afford. And we have settle as our regulars on the Islays. But I still enjoy all of the others.

The thing I notice is that depending on my mood and my taste, many of these complexities change. One time the Dalwhinnie may almost taste "peachy" to me... the next time I'll notice more and different flavors. The same with all of the others.

I am a newbie here... "NEW IN TOWN", but I am so glad I found this site. A treasure of people, information, and folks that have Class and Taste.

Steve

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Highlander said:
First off, Helen of Troy, thanks for the Heads up on the Glenmorangie "Cellar 13." I have to find it.
You might also like Glenmorangie "Nectar D`or", which is a whisky that is matured in two different casks: First in bourbon casks and then in Sauternes (french dessert wine) casks. It has much of the same appeal as port-wood cask whisky, but still interestingly different. And if this is the result of French bying the brewery, I'm not complaining as this is my new best friend amongst the whiskeys!;)

metropd

One Too Many
On the day of my 21st birthday I had a Johnny Walker Black Label and have had it ever since. I don't know much about scotch but I know that I like the taste of the black label and it goes with my fedora and suit.;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
Johnny Walker Black Label and have had it ever since. I don't know much about scotch but I know that I like the taste of the black label

You're in good company, it was Winston Churchill's favourite scotch.

I'm quite partial to it as well if I am at the grog shop and buying a bottle of scotch.

In terms of the Laphroaig discussion, put me in with the "love it" crowd. Saying that I tend to drink Islays during the colder months and like Speysides when the weather is warmer.

manton

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
You're in good company, it was Winston Churchill's favourite scotch.
According to Manchester (and others) Churchill drank Red. At Chartwell, they have a little display of some of his indulgences, supposedly actually his stuff. Certainly, it was all old. I don't remember everything, but I remember a bottle of JW Red, a bottle of Hine Antique (both empty), an empty R&J #2 box, the size since renamed "Churchill". There was another empty cigar box, but I can't remember what it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21