Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scout Hat Cleaner on light colored hats.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hello All,

I got a pretty handy tip from my local hat cleaner & shaper at, of all places, Boot Barn. I was going to buy the Scout Hat Cleaner for light colored hats (because the ones I needed cleaned were light colored, stands to reason) when the young man there said that I should get the cleaner for dark hats. He showed me an example of the difference on a silverbelly colored hat that he was cleaning. On the underside of the brim near the sweat band he had done a test spot earlier and it had left the white powder residue that so many here have talked about. Then he showed me what the dark cleaner did. He sprayed, it foamed up, and then it brushed away cleanly without narry a bit of redidue. I was sold. So I tried it on my Borsalino and the minor dark marks and sweat stains cleaned away, and you guessed it, no residue.:)
It even took the minor staining out of the hat ribbon. The hat feels and looks like new. The man who helped me with this was of the oppinion that the light color hat cleaner was complete rubbish. He has my deep thanks.
I certainly hope that this helps those who have had trouble in the past with the light colored hat cleaner. The dark hat cleaner doesn't stain the hat in any way shape or form. The hat will darken since it dampens the felt a tad, but once it dries you're in business again with a clean beaver lid. Again I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dan

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
DJ, thanks for that tidbit, and my compliments on your latest Borso!!

I have used the Scout light cleaner, and it seems like it's the same stuff as any other spot remover (carbon tetrachloride). What is the active chemical in the dark cleaner? I took the advice of the guy at the local western wear store (the best I can do around here:( ) who said that, for anything lighter than medium brown, I should use light version.

With the Scout light, the felt came out clean in most cases, but I found that it was not really that good at removing minor sweat spots from the grosgrain, and that excessive stiff-brushing was required at the point at which the spray was first focused. It's OK for minor spotting on the light grays and tans, but even after brushing away the visible powder, the area has an astringent residue feel to it. I de-spotted my gray Strat with the stuff and the felt is cleaner looking, but just doesn't feel the same as before (not better).

I will have to get the Scout "dark" to try on some of my stubborn spots...I have a few :D .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot