Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouts Rain\Stain on my Federation

RBH

Bartender
We had today, what we have not had here in my part of Arkansas in over a month...RAIN.
I started to reach for my TVA fedora, but was hesitant because of the really hard downpour.
Then I headed for my old Open Road [I will explain why I did not go with it in another thread] so I settled on my Federation that I had treated with the Scouts.
Let me tell you..that fedora shed water like a ducks back.The Scouts worked great. Needless to say when I returned home I put another coat on my TVA fedora.
So if any of you are looking to use a water treatment, I dont believe you can go wrong with Scouts.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I was going to ask someone if Scouts might help on fur felt (have heard a lot about treating wool, but not fur ... everyone just says that the rain will not harm fur).
The Snowy River I am modifying beaded up wonderfully when I tried to soak the brim ... so well in fact that I had to scrub on it to get the water to actually work in ... but I noticed when I took it out in the rain today that the water just soaked in immediately. Looks like Scouts it is!
Thanks!

LEUII

One of the Regulars
(off topic) Thank God for the rain. I know y'all need it. How's the rice looking? It bears a lot on where I will hunt.

Where do you buy the Scout products? Does it affect the breathability (sp?) of the felt?

RBH

Bartender
LEUII said:
(off topic) Thank God for the rain. I know y'all need it. How's the rice looking? It bears a lot on where I will hunt.
Looking pretty good. The guy that farms my place called me a couple weeks back and told me I have a well that twisted the shaft off right in the middle of watering beans! Oh well there goes any new fedoras for awhile!
I have thought about setting up for duck hunting but my renter really does not have the time to do it for me. And I have no equipment.

LEUII said:
Where do you buy the Scout products? Does it affect the breathability (sp?) of the felt?
I am sure you can find it at a local western store. I do know that most if not all the venders here carry it. Not sure about your last question, maybe some of our hatters can chime in.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
We had today, what we have not had here in my part of Arkansas in over a month...RAIN.
I started to reach for my TVA fedora, but was hesitant because of the really hard downpour.
Then I headed for my old Open Road [I will explain why I did not go with it in another thread] so I settled on my Federation that I had treated with the Scouts.
Let me tell you..that fedora shed water like a ducks back.The Scouts worked great. Needless to say when I returned home I put another coat on my TVA fedora.
So if any of you are looking to use a water treatment, I dont believe you can go wrong with Scouts.
Was that your young indy bashed fed? What did it do in the rain, Did it stay the same or get floppy?

RBH

Bartender
indycop said:
Was that your young indy bashed fed? What did it do in the rain, Did it stay the same or get floppy?
Yes, it is my YIJ fedora, the water ran right off, the hat did not get floppy it stayed the same. Also I noticed no color change when it got wet.

Thanks Aaron for your insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou