Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scrambled Eggs and Ketchup

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I guess most people wouldn't like the English tradition of eating fries ('chips' in the uk): either covered in vinegar until they're soggy, or with gravy and vinegar (in the north).
We also eat them covered in curry sauce.

Malt vinegar and salt. The only way for chips. Well, in Canada we use gravy as well, and Quebec has given the world poutine, chips, gravy and cheese curds.

Sweet potato fries are popular here now, best with a mayo, often chipotle or curried for some zing. Gosh, getting hungry.

As for the OP, all I can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eggs have a delicate taste, and unless incorporated into a meal (think breakfast burrito), the taste should be allowed to just, be.....

Just my tuppence worth....

dnjan

One Too Many
WHAT..!
No one that I know of here in HoosierLand ever eats ketchup on hotdogs.....:eeek:
Mustard:yes...onions:check...relish:for sure...cheese:sometimes...Chili:absolutely...or a combo of all of the above:YES...but never ever ketchup...PUULEESE :D

HD
I guess that technically, I put ketchup on diced onions. The diced onions just happen to be on a hot dog.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think the age limit for eating a hot dog with ketchup is 14 years old; the same age one has to quit riding their bicycle on the sidewalk and ride in the street with the adults. Seriously, I've seen this written down........

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In Europe and parts of Latin America, hot dogs are not eaten with ketchup. With mayonnaise, yes. With mashed-up avocado and diced tomatoes, yes. With sauerkraut, yes. But not with ketchup.
Seeeeeeee, even them Europeans have some class.

Sorry couldn't help it.

Just to be SURE about all this, I checked the menu of Pink's hot dog stand in Hollywood, I searched on "ket", nothing. I searched on "cat", nothing, BUT I searched on Mayo and found it, so there Ketchup bad, Catsup bad, Mayo good... :)

Later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Of course many books have been written on this subject.......................

hotdogfinalcover2010_500x618.jpg

........ but the late, great Mike Royko, Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago newspaper columnist put it best:

No, I won't condemn anyone for putting ketchup on a hot dog. This is the land of the free. And if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right.It is also their right to put mayo or chocolate syrup or toenail clippings or cat hair on a hot dog. Sure, it would be disgusting and perverted, and they would be shaming themselves and their loved ones. But under our system of government, it is their right to be barbarians.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There's now a Pink's Hot Dogs at Knott's Berry Farm. I should try it out some time.
Eh, their hot dogs are pedestrian at best. But then once you've had a Vienna beef dog in natural casing anything else pales in comparison.

I will not eat at a hot dog joint that doesn't display this sign.....
Vienna.JPG

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mayo makes anything better. Fries, potato chips, onions, hotdogs, bacon... Mayo is kind of like bacon. Goes with everything. :D

The ketchup on eggs thing my father does every morning. In fact, he puts ketchup on something every meal. He'll eat ketchup on plain bread, or crackers, or on any number of things. He eats so much ketchup he buys it in the institutional size container. He comes to my house and complains that I don't automatically set it out on the table for him. My mother carries ketchup packets in her purse, as a few times there has been a "ketchup crisis" (lack of adequate ketchup) at an eating establishment.

I however, only rarely eat ketchup. I wonder if it had something to do with watching ketchup get put on everything for 18 years. [huh]

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I mainly used Pink's due to their semi-icon status in the Hot dog world. I love the place, but mainly because of the sheer number of different combinations of toppings and sausages you can order.

Later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy