Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scratch in Borsalino fedora :(

FMG1991

New in Town
Hi :)

Yesterday somebody accidentally hit me with his umbrella. My Borsalino got a small scratch on the front of the crown.

It's about 0.5 cm long and only on the surface. I don't know if you notice it when I'm wearing the hat, but I know it's there and that makes me frustrated since I care about my hat :(

Is there anything I can do about it? Any tips? :) :)

Thanks!!

FMG

facade

A-List Customer
Hi :)

Yesterday somebody accidentally hit me with his umbrella. My Borsalino got a small scratch on the front of the crown.

It's about 0.5 cm long and only on the surface. I don't know if you notice it when I'm wearing the hat, but I know it's there and that makes me frustrated since I care about my hat :(

Is there anything I can do about it? Any tips? :) :)

Thanks!!

FMG

I would assume brushing the hat with a hat brush will do the trick unless we are talking about something more along the lines of a gouge.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I would assume brushing the hat with a hat brush will do the trick unless we are talking about something more along the lines of a gouge.

Agree. Or Lightly steam the spot and if you own a hat sponge (one of these http://www.sheplers.com/hat-care-cleaning-sponge.html) use it over the area. It will even out the felt and remove any superficial dust and scratch. Sometimes steam along will do the job. A picture will definitely help for assessing.

FMG1991

New in Town
hey :)

i already used the brush. it hides the scratch a little, but if you watch close, you'll still see it. More important: you feel it.

Some pictures:
I know, it is hard to see, but thats because of the bad light.

those are without brushing:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11538615/DSC_2908.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11538615/DSC_2911.jpg

this one was taken after i brushed it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11538615/DSC_2913.JPG

it looks better, but it's still there and with better light you see it.

What do you suggest? What do you think about using a hat sponge. What are your experiences? On the internet I found a tip, suggesting to use soft sandpaper. What do you think about that?

Thank you very much for your help! :):)

FMG

It is hard to tell the seriousness of the woe from the highly detailed pictures. At this magnification, an anthill would look like a mountain.

Have you tried to apply steam yet? Steam will soften and raise the fibers of the felt just a little. Sometimes, with a little brushing afterwards, it will be all that is needed. The small scuff lines that are present on the brim of many vintage hast from years of storage in a hatbox can be resistant to brushing, but with a little steam, are often gone before you pick up the brush. Not sure if you have them in Germany, but the simple cappuccino steamers that are nothing more than a cork sized to fit in a stovetop kettle with a piece of brass tubing in it work very well to direct steam to a specific place on the hat. Steam will have no adverse effect on the outside of a fur felt hat.

A hat sponge acts like sandpaper to the felt. It could be used after you try steam and brushing. I would only use sandpaper after all else fails, and after you have worn the hat a bit and let the injury heal a bit with time.

just my .02... good luck
Alan

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
A hat sponge acts like sandpaper to the felt. It could be used after you try steam and brushing. I would only use sandpaper after all else fails, and after you have worn the hat a bit and let the injury heal a bit with time.

just my .02... good luck
Alan

+1. If steam along with brushing doesn't help, the hat sponge should be your plan B. It will brush and remove and raise the felt without the damage you can cause with sandpaper if you don't know how to use it.

FMG1991

New in Town
thanks for the tips :)
I'll try the steam as soon as possible. I'll post some pictures.
Then I'm going to wear the hat a few weeks as Alan suggested. It rains a lot in Germany these days, the hat gets wet almost every other day and i brush it afterwards.

I'll keep you updated! :)

@Alan: You have a great website. I'm studying physics and I love astrophysics. Great pictures, especially those of our beloved central star.

Last edited:

FMG1991

New in Town
ok, i brushed the hat using my new brush. im satisfied withe the results :) thank you!!

i have another question though:
After brushing over the bruise several times some hairs at that spot stick out stronger than hairs on the rest of the hat. if i brush, they fit tightly. but they tend to stick out more than others.
I dont mind brushing the hat regularly but I'd like to know what you would do.
my first idea was to press some adhesive tape at the spot that removes the hairs that are loose but I'm afraid to ruin the felt :s
What do the experts suggest?

Thank you! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou