Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for a WW2 plane

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
I actually don't know much about it other then i saw a picture of it a long time ago in a private collection.

I believe it was a P-51 from 1944-45, what i do remember was the nose art, it was a pin up and it said "sweet Irene". My hunch was it was on the east coast and it was for the European Theater.

I've searched all the nose art books I can remember and online photo's.

so I'm putting it out to all the WW2 buffs...any input would be great!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Are you sure about the name?
How about "Sweet Helen"?
357 FG Flown by Lt. Harvey F Mace in 1944 from Leiston, UK - only the name though (after his wife) and no pinup.
He even had a Sweet Helen II.
Got pictures in a book - but no scanner.[huh]

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Zemke Fan said:
There were at least 30,000 fighters produced during WWII. This could be QUITE the challenge!

tell me about it! lolol

however, like i said...I in fact have seen it, many years ago. But your right, the reality is it's a needle in a haystack. I just figured to hit this board with it just in case, you all are very knowledgeable.

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Probably a swing and a miss, but ...?
p51sweetarlene72.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
When I saw this thread, for some reason I thought you were in the market to BUY a plane...lol...I was looking at the info for the Reading Airshow yesterday and was really impressed that folks bring their planes there, I guess.

Why are you trying to find this one?

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
When I saw this thread, for some reason I thought you were in the market to BUY a plane...lol...I was looking at the info for the Reading Airshow yesterday and was really impressed that folks bring their planes there, I guess.

Why are you trying to find this one?

Hey Snookie! Yea, Vintage Plane shows are actually not much different then Car shows or Boat shows!

I'm trying to find this plane because I still talk to Irene all the time! I think it would just be awesome to present her with a Photo or photo's...that is if that needle shows up in the hay stack!lol

Snookie

Practically Family
That's cool, I was wondering if your search might be for her! Did you just see a plane with her name on it, or did you hear somewhere that it was actually named for her?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was at least one big color photo-packed book thta had nothing but nose art in it. I believe much was from bombers. Sorry I don't know more than that except the book exists and could have the P-51 pic you seek.

Art Bowers of the 334th Fighter Squadron 4th Fighter Groups flew Sweet Arlene P-51-D lettered QPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot