Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for someone to reblock my hat.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Dear jbucklin, thank you for your post. It helps much, i think this block is the right one for my hats. I'm trying to order one at the moment (Contact via mail seems to be slow.).

It seems to be very oval, or is it just the picture- perspectives? And what are these waves between the crown and the brim?

@Art Fawcett: hats in germany are not the right ones for me, since they are not open crowned. Companies like Mayser only sell these modern ready- blocked fedoras, not my kind of hat. To order a vintage fedora is difficult here.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Dear jbucklin, thank you for your post. It helps much, i think this block is the right one for my hats. I'm trying to order one at the moment (Contact via mail seems to be slow.).

It seems to be very oval, or is it just the picture- perspectives? And what are these waves between the crown and the brim?

@Art Fawcett: hats in germany are not the right ones for me, since they are not open crowned. Companies like Mayser only sell these modern ready- blocked fedoras, not my kind of hat. To order a vintage fedora is difficult here.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate

I think you misunderstand Sir. I am a bespoke hatter so you can have it sent either creased or open crown. When it IS creased, I crease them by hand, no machines.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Ok, hats in germany ar creased by machine. To get a hat here, which is open crowned or creased by hand is difficult. Or do i misunderstand you again? Then i don't get your point. :)

Where in Germany are you located? None of the German production hat companies offer open crown hats. There are small custom hatters that might be able to reblock in an open crown.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Yes i know. I have got hats from one of these hatters. But blocking it by them is expensive, so, first i searched for a guy around here to block my hat more cheap. Now i decided to buy a hatblock and block it by myself. The title of the thread is now incorrect, but i didn't know where it would end, when i started it. :)

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hey, for them, who placed an order at hatshapers.com: the only way to place an order is to write an email to them, right? I wrote two mails already and get no answer. The first mail is two weeks ago. Is that normal?

Landman

One Too Many
Hey, for them, who placed an order at hatshapers.com: the only way to place an order is to write an email to them, right? I wrote two mails already and get no answer. The first mail is two weeks ago. Is that normal?

I have bought from them before and they are usually very prompt at returning your email. Maybe they are away. I got the impression they are a small family business. Once you decide what you want they will send you a PayPal invoice.

My experience with the straight sided dome has been like others here. You need to order a size smaller if you are going to leave the sweatband on. I have two I use, one is a size smaller for leaving the sweatband on and one is the correct size for removing the sweatband. Since you are in Germany you may want to consider ordering both and save on the shipping.

Landman

One Too Many
Ok, I need a size smaller, even if I fold the sweatband out?

You might. Even though it is folded out it might not stretch enough because it is still stitched in. If it is an older sweatband you may not want to fold it out or stretch it much because it can be easily damaged.

Landman

One Too Many
I forgot to mention that before I bought one of the hat shapers I was able to smooth out a crown on a hat that had some wrinkles in it by just using a smaller piece of firm plastic I held inside the hat and smoothed the wet felt on the outside. It certainly doesn't work as good as a hat shaper but I was able to get the crown smoothed out and back into an open crown shape. Then once it dried I started all over and reshaped the crown the way I wanted. That might be a solution if you just need a little work on the crown. The hat looks very nice in your pictures.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tip! I've got some fur felt from an older hat, i will try that!

On the sizes: I've got a Hat in 7 3/8 inch. In german (my normal idea of size) size 59 cm. That means the sweatband is 7 3/8 inch. Shouldn't it fit on a 23 inch crownblock?!

Excuse me, if I am very carefully, but as I am a student, the money is not only for spending it on 2 hatblocks to see which one's better. Especially when you live in europe and have this shipping- taxes.

Landman

One Too Many
I am about the same size as you (7 3/8) and the 23" will work in at hat without a sweatband. I use the 22 1/2" for working on a hat with the sweatband still on.

jbucklin

Practically Family
In the initial stages of considering purchasing one of these I called the people at hatshapers to inquire specifically about the issue of size, and which one to order. They highly recommended I get a 23" shaper if my hat size is 59 cm. I also asked about the sweatband, which I planned to leave intact---and did. All hats that I've reshaped have fit perfectly on the 23" hatshaper.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
In the initial stages of considering purchasing one of these I called the people at hatshapers to inquire specifically about the issue of size, and which one to order. They highly recommended I get a 23" shaper if my hat size is 59 cm. I also asked about the sweatband, which I planned to leave intact---and did. All hats that I've reshaped have fit perfectly on the 23" hatshaper.

I guess every hat is a little different but I could not get my 7 3/8ths over the 23 inch shaper without the risk of ripping the sweatband apart. I didn't want to force it so maybe it would have worked. I don't know what to tell you now Erehwon. I've only worked on a couple of hats so maybe you are better off with Jbucklin's suggestion.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Changed back the order. Now they recieved the 4th Mail from me, now i will just wait for an answer. Poor mail- inbox of them... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran