Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sears Motorcylce Jacket History 1949-1963

jeo

One Too Many
I’ve always thought Oakbrook started real early 60s with those first jackets still feeling/looking like the 50s Hercs. Similar quality too. As the 60s progressed the quality started to go down and then…Tony’s 70s arrived in full force lol.
Just looked back. The earliest catalog mentioning Oakbrook was 1962. The jacket above is still nice, looks like it was barley ever worn, but definitely not early 50’s.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is a rare Survivor early 1950's Oakbrook Steer Hide jacket I have posted on eBay. All original.

This is an interesting jacket in the Sears MC history. I recall discussion of this model earlier in this thread. I haven't looked, it may be the same jacket.

Yes Oakbrook started in early 60s as a replacement for the Hercules label. Each decade is often a turning point. The label ended with the addition of "the Leather Shop" wording, then completely dropped. Oakbrook, Illinois is a suburb of Chicago and then home of Sears.

These changes reflected the changing times, something new, fresh, more modern. The Hercules label had been around for years and used in connection with all manner of products sold by Sears. Today Hercules garments are the most recognizable use of the label.

That is California Sportswear leather tag and their belt. CSC, along with Roughwear Clothing, and Appalachian Tanned and Tailored are the documented makers of Sears jackets. CSC goes back to the early 50s and made a variety of styles in Horsehide and Steerhide.

My theory of this jacket. It is both first and last. The first Oakbrook jackets and the last 12 CSC MC jackets. The remaining production was by Appalachian Tanned and Tailored. It may be that Appalachian continued producing for the Men's shop label but under their new name, Taylors.

These early Oakbrooks were the last of the high quality jackets sold by Sears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner