Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secret Passageways

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
You assume locks have ever been reliable--if someone wants in, they're gonna get in period; all better security does is delay so that hopefully they'll decide the possible take isn't worth the time and risk of getting caught, which gets higher the longer it takes to do the B&E.

Haha, Good Point Diamond Back, I thought someone might say that. We're only "led to believe" they are reliable but when you see someone with the knack at work, it makes you think, almost scary really.

I totally agree about the deterrent, to stop the opportunist. If it's too difficult they'll move on.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
secret-1.jpg

I just saw this and thought it was rather neat.

JJWord

Familiar Face
I've seen that site too. My only issue is, if I'm going to be investing that much money I personally wouldn't want it to rely on electricity.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
You assume locks have ever been reliable--if someone wants in, they're gonna get in period; all better security does is delay so that hopefully they'll decide the possible take isn't worth the time and risk of getting caught, which gets higher the longer it takes to do the B&E.

too true. all locks do is keep honest people honest.

Cricket

Practically Family
I think when my husband and I build our dream house, I want the Clue house plan. lol Complete with secret passageways. As a child, I always loved taking the secret passageways in the game, and I always dreamed about having a couple when I had my own house. Just minus the murder plot however.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
My 4th-grade teacher lived in a house just blocks from my school that was built in the 1840's. There was a secret room beneath the staircase that was used for the Underground Railroad. I remember reading about a couple of other houses in my hometown that also had hidden areas to temporarily house runaway slaves.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Cricket said:
I think when my husband and I build our dream house, I want the Clue house plan. lol Complete with secret passageways. As a child, I always loved taking the secret passageways in the game, and I always dreamed about having a couple when I had my own house. Just minus the murder plot however.

Oh! I want one too! :) That would be so neat. I can just imagine it! It'd be very large. Would you want the original Clue house or the one with all the extra rooms/characters? Like Miss Peach, and the stables?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A couple years ago, here in town there was an old farm house on close to an acre of land. Some developer bought the land and wanted to build a couple houses there. The City demanded that the old house not be demolished, they gave it to one other their hacks who turned around and sold it for $700,000. Well anyway, when the hack was painting the house he came across a hidden stairway that went to a closed off area of the attic. In this room were a billlards table, chairs, booze and mattresses.:rolleyes: He claimed it was a speakeasy, I think brothel.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
A couple years ago, here in town there was an old farm house on close to an acre of land. Some developer bought the land and wanted to build a couple houses there. The City demanded that the old house not be demolished, they gave it to one other their hacks who turned around and sold it for $700,000. Well anyway, when the hack was painting the house he came across a hidden stairway that went to a closed off area of the attic. In this room were a billlards table, chairs, booze and mattresses.:rolleyes: He claimed it was a speakeasy, I think brothel.

Brothel more likely. Were any pictures taken? That would be interesting to see!

MattJH

One Too Many
I've been completely fascinated with this sort of stuff ever since I was a kid and realized that if you moved Pac-Man off the side of the screen, he'd reappear on the other. Seriously!

A friend of mine owns a house in a Quaker community just outside of Philadelphia. A few years back, he threw a house party. My girlfriend got there before me and left me a voicemail that said "I'll be in the secret room when you get here." Sure enough, when I arrived, my girlfriend was nowhere in sight. After the attendees watched amused as I pushed and pulled everything I could find, the owner kindly showed me a hidden doorknob located behind some books on a bookshelf. This was literally built just like any other door with a doorknob, except it was a bookcase and the books themselves hid the doorknob. I thought it was a simple and effective idea.

Behind the door was his sound-proofed practice space for his band. At the time, even his own children didn't know that it was there. It had a full practice space, a powder room, and a kegerator built into one of the walls, so you could pour yourself a draft beer from the tap poking out behind the drumset.

It. was. awesome.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
For those interested in the history of secret passageways...

This is a really great book written in the 1920s I believe. The way Fea writes it is almost comical at times and you get the personal histories of people involved. And its all about secret passageways in Britain, so I thought for those UK members you might find it interesting.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13918/13918-h/13918-h.htm

This book is also available in librivox recording, which is a lot easier if you don't have the time to read it, and the narrators voice is kind of relaxing.

http://librivox.org/secret-chambers-and-hiding-places-by-allan-fea/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot