Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selentino Questions

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I plan to visit TONAK in the beginning of April. I would think they could still produce very fine felt based on their history (they were Johann Hückel´s Söhne up to the end of WWII)and felt production facility although I am sure the communist years took a major toll. I think they are pretty much in survial mode now (labor costs are too high in the Czech Republic) and need to meet a specific price point. By felted fine what do you mean? Do you mean the finish?
Excuse me, I meant it is not as finely pounced as my Biltmores and Stetsons. it is very nicely made, in fact, I was examing the liner, and it is perhaps one of the best i own, with the exception of my Stetson El patron (30X, converted to fedora) and My Biltmore Roselini. Both of those have very nice liners. The sweat and other accessories appear to be first rate also. the wind cord is for looks only.

Thank you for the clarification. It could be the finish they were looking for rather than a finely pounced look. In general they are known for longer hair finishes. They made the finest Velour finishes when still JHS and continued at a high level into the 1960s. I think they still produce some higher end Velour bodies for the Jewish market but I am not sure what exactly. I hope to find out more on my visit. There is also another company nearby in Poland named PolkaP that was also originally JHS. I have tried to get in contact with them but I haven't been successful so far. It is highly possible they went out of business which would be a shame.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
My First hat was a Selentino (hence the name). I wore them for many years until I could step up. I think the brand is made by Tonak. I've worn them in all kinds of weather and they have done well. I've heard that they can bleed some if worn in the rain too much but none of mine did.They are nice looking hats but Not-Bogart13 is right, nothing special and I feel a bit overpriced these days for what they are. I still have a Galaxy that looks pretty good.

I bought a Galaxy at Batsakes in Cincinnati Friday. It was the only hat in the shop that met my fit and color needs. Gus Miller actually adjusted the size a bit as I was somewhere between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. I think it's beautiful but it is my first fedora.

Gus and the sales lady could not have been nicer. She sensed I was a rookie and she took all the time needed to make sure I got the right fit.

I had them put a darker band on to match my overcoat which my father bought in the 70's and was handed down to me.

I will post a pic soon.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I bought a Galaxy at Batsakes in Cincinnati Friday. It was the only hat in the shop that met my fit and color needs. Gus Miller actually adjusted the size a bit as I was somewhere between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. I think it's beautiful but it is my first fedora.

Gus and the sales lady could not have been nicer. She sensed I was a rookie and she took all the time needed to make sure I got the right fit.

I had them put a darker band on to match my overcoat which my father bought in the 70's and was handed down to me.

I will post a pic soon.

When you get a chance to post the pic would you mind telling us what price it sold for ??

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I don't get over on that side of town very often but I think I remember seeing that store either on or near route 30........

Getting through the tunnels and the Parkway traffic over there is a huge hassle now.....

If you ever visit her let me know maybe we can do lunch somewhere in the middle. Provided of course you wear your fedora ;):D

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Why did I place my new Selentino Galaxy on the ground? I couldn't resist the pink background

sorry if the pics are small. I wasn't sure how they would show up on this forum

100_1819.jpg

100_1818.jpg

100_1820.jpg

Last edited:

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Hey Wally - I'm in Cincy, too!

Batsakes is a great place and owner/operator Gus Miller is quite a character. My first decent fedora was a Selentino I bought from Gus. Served me well. I gave it to my big brother two years ago and he still wears it all the time. The only reason I don't still have it is I discovered I like a more straight sided (less tapered) crown.

I'll echo what everyone else has said - Selentino's are fine hats, not THE BEST, but for the money pretty decent. However, for about the same money, I think Akubra hats are a step up.

If you want THE BEST, get a hat from Art. If you want something really good for reasonable money, buy an Akubra (IMHO).

Thread hijack =
I'm working up in Blue Ash, right near the airport, only here during the week.
I know Batsakes is downtown off 6th Street. I want to take a long lunch hour one day & run down there.
Any suggestions of where to park so I can get in & get out easily & quickly?

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Thread hijack =
I'm working up in Blue Ash, right near the airport, only here during the week.
I know Batsakes is downtown off 6th Street. I want to take a long lunch hour one day & run down there.
Any suggestions of where to park so I can get in & get out easily & quickly?

Compared to many cities, Cincy is pretty easy to park.

From Blue Ash I would go north on Reed-Hartman to I-275, west on I-275 about 3 miles to I-75 south.

Take that about 15 miles south and take the 5th Street exit (it exits to the left).

Go about 2 blocks to Vine St. and take a left. Go 1/2 block and on the right you will see the Fountain Square (underground) Garage. You might have to go down a few levels to find a spot.

Find your way to street level and walk to Sixth Street and Walnut. It's on the northeast corner of the city block that contains Fountain Square.

If the Fountain Square garage is full don't panic there are garages all over the place, you just might have to walk a little farther.

Don't worry. People are friendly. If you need to, ask them where Sixth and Walnut is.

Batsakes has a shoeshine stand too.

Last edited:

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I-71 will work fine. Probably take the Reading Rd./Gilbert Ave. exit and that will shoot you right downtown. Walnut is one block east of Vine.

Can't help you with lunch ideas. Depends on your per diem I guess :)

Last time I was down there I stopped at a place called the Backstage Deli. They didn't have pastrami. I thought how can you call yourself a deli if you don't have pastrami.

Happy shopping.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I don't get over on that side of town very often but I think I remember seeing that store either on or near route 30........

Getting through the tunnels and the Parkway traffic over there is a huge hassle now.....

If you ever visit her let me know maybe we can do lunch somewhere in the middle. Provided of course you wear your fedora ;):D

OG, your PM box is full.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
Selentino hats?

Hello All-

I am looking at a couple Selentino hats. They are marked "100% fur felt". Are these any good? Anyone had any experience with them?

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Pete

Selentino = TONAK (Czech Republic)

I visited TONAK in April 2011. They make a decent hat for the money. The felt and hats are made in one factory (the original J. Hückel´s Söhne factory)

). TONAK is known for Velour finishes (from the days of JHS). They also supply other hat companies with felt (bodies, blown fur) and OEM finished hats (they are a big operation).

Yes it would be a different factory because TONAK is in the Czech Republic. Selentino is a brand name and not a factory. I wasn't aware they had hats made by other sources. Maybe Besdor (Steven) will know more.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's interesting that Tonak is supplying fur felt to other makers. I was reading recently that felt was first created in ancient times in what is now Austria and the Czech Republic. I believe it was initially developed as the material we now know as loden felt: extremely warm and water-resistant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot