Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-Conscious?

DrQuest

Familiar Face
HamletJSD said:
Oh, and DrQuest, you live right up the tracks from me (well, within 20-30 miles) ...
We almost bought a house in Sumiton about six months ago, but settled a little closer to the city in Adamsville.

Ah, yes, Adamsville. I drive through there and Forestdale every morning, 5 days a week, on my way to work.

Nice town. :)

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Kaosharper1 said:
I work in Boston and its almost the same. In fact, I travel a lot and I don't know of any place where Fedoras are common. Its usually baseball caps. If anyone thinks I look silly, I ask them what they think of that guy over there in the suit and tie wearing a baseball cap. Talk about silly.

Does anyone on this list live in a place where Fedora's are common?

I wouldn't say common but you do see a bunch of them in DC

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Any new venture is met with a bit of trepidation and discomfort. Realize that we hat-wearers (real hats, that is) are the vanguard. We need to help usher in the new era of hat-wearing and gentility. Plus, there's nothing like finding a style of hat that you absolutely love. It makes you feel good. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
MississippiLong said:
Your avatar ain't bad either, brother!
when you look good, you look good, bub.

I appreciate it. My fiance had us take some non-typical engagement photos...we ran a picture of me and her, I'm in a hat, in the newspaper for the engagement announcement. I've worn hats around town and have had at least three people say something to the effect of "Hey, I saw you guys in the paper, I love the hat."

here's the pic we used.

n27410604_36754759_3898.jpg

With a foxy fiance on your arm you could wear a balloon animal on your head and who's going to say wha'?

DrQuest

Familiar Face
Slouch-Hat said:
Any new venture is met with a bit of trepidation and discomfort. Realize that we hat-wearers (real hats, that is) are the vanguard. We need to help usher in the new era of hat-wearing and gentility. Plus, there's nothing like finding a style of hat that you absolutely love. It makes you feel good. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

A big "amen" to that. Well said.

We can point to some examples of "proper" hats (hats with brims, let's say, as opposed to ball caps and such) gaining wider acceptance, but I seriously doubt I'll live to see the day when lids become as commonplace as they were when Grandpa was a young man. That was a time when many men (most, maybe) routinely wore hats, even fellows such as old Grandpa himself, a blue-collar man with an eighth-grade education.

I make exception for cowboy hats, which, in certain regions, are a common sight. In parts of the rural West (and in pockets elsewhere, I'm sure) they are everyday attire. And among country music fans they serve as something of an identity signifier. As far as I can tell, fedoras and homburgs and such are not so commonly identified with any particular careers or lifestyles or affinities. I don't expect that to change.

It's understandable how a person new to fedoras might feel a bit self-conscious. And maybe that self-consciousness is warranted. Maybe people ARE looking at you differently on account of the hat. I say either get used to it and get over it or get rid of it. Again -- wear the hat, don't let the hat wear you.

GreyHat

New in Town
tonyb,
I would say that people definitely are looking at you differently because of the hat. And it's not a bad thing. Just smile back and realize that they are looking at you because you look better than all the people around you without hats.
Wear it with pride.

-Charles

Brinybay

Practically Family
DrQuest said:
I just started wearing a hat recently, ... but I sometimes wonder if maybe I do look silly in it. ... Any of you gentlemen ever feel a little odd wearing a hat, or did you feel self-consious at first and eventually got over it?

I don't feel silly wearing it. Chasing it a half block because the wind blew it off, (happened today) THAT'S when I feel silly!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Slouch-Hat said:

+10

I can't agree with you more!

ebb

New in Town
I love wearing my fedoras to church. I would wear them to work around in and do sometimes in the winter, but they cost way to much. I only wear a suit to church. The rest of the time im getting dirty and sweaty. I mysself think a suit is incomplete without a hat.

JeffOYB

Vendor
I get shy at the thought of wearing the wrong hat in the wrong weather/season. Kinda funny. Recently on a sunny autumn car-driving/shopping day I could hardly make myself put on my dark olive/black/grey felt fedora. Its brim is pretty wide, too. It seems like a nighttime/Nov-Apr hat. And I can get a bit useless-feeling about going in and out of stores with a wide brim. Something rusty or bolder-autumn woulda been just right. Talk about crazy fussy! :) In the end, I just forgot about it and wore the hat...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Jauntyone said:
I'm never self conscious about wearing a hat. I'm just as ugly without a hat as I am with one, so why not wear it?:p

You've got the makings of a true mensch there, J1.

Attitude, confidence, and a little humility. :D :eusa_clap

EggHead

Practically Family
I like to wear clothes that are comfortable and go well together, hats and shoes included. True, my brimmed hats do attract more attention - interested looks from women, envious or "upset" looks from men - I think men look at me and think "darn, if I was wearing one, I wouldn't have to squint in this bright sunlight" or maybe "how dare he!". But I tend to ignore them, if there is any discomfort that I feel, I remind myself that I am in San Francisco and people here dress much weirder than I.

jwalls

Vendor
I've lived long enough not to worry about the opinion of others. What my excuse was 40 years ago I don't remember. I like fedoras, derbies, homburgs if you don't, then don't wear one. I don't need the naysayers.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Self conscious???

Hell no. I am an attention seeker, anyway!! LOL.

Seriously, I think that many of us here (if I may be so bold) are into looking different than the other drones around us. We want our own style and don't want to be like everyone else. These days a fedora DEFINITELY makes you stick out.

Oh, we aren't as narcissistic as piercers, rap goofs and punks, of course. We want to be respectable. But we for sure don't want to be like everyone else.

That and I'd guess that each of us have a sincere interest (maybe even longing) for the good old days, an historical interest, if you will.

So, we already stick out as it is simply because of who we are. The hat just adds to the mystique.

I, for one, always leave an impression on people. I know this from what other people have told me that they've heard about me. People just seem to remember me. I'm gregarious, avuncular, and have a lot of direct opinions. That and I don't much care what others think too much. I am true to myself in all cases.

Like I said, I don't think I am unusual here at all. I'd guess that most of us are like this to one degree or another.

So put on that fedora. Don't let 'em forget ya!!
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy