Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sellers Guide for Dress Hats on Ebay

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
This reminds me of the scene in the movie Seven where Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are going over the results of the public library reading list search. Of Human Bondage arouses Pitt's interest, Freeman tells Pitt that it's not what he thinks.

No need to ban anything. We all have the ability to decode what we see in the search titles, text and photos. Just enjoy the show. ;)

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Call me sad, but I actually have a War and Peace length set of terms to be excluded in advanced search, several of them because they are complete time-wasters (style, inspired, Topshop, '80's...) and pull up absolute crap, but also terms which irritate me for one reason or another...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont think an outright ban is necessary unless the OP is just trying to make a point. Ebay, just like any other shopping site, and probably more so), requires very judicious reading and analyzing. After a while, you can very quickly weed out the questionable sellers and downright bs artists. Always check the feedback rating. Anything under 99% positive is pretty much a no-no, but even so, read through a few pages of feedback to get a flavor of the negatives. Sometimes negative feedbacks are the result of not-too-bright buyers.

theinterchange

One Too Many
In terms of eBay listings, I'd have to say the following are on my "I'm about 99% sure I won't look at your listing if it says this" list.

Michael Jackson [who'd want a crotch grabbing pervert as a selling point?]

Indiana Jones [I'm sorry, but that cotton hat doesn't look "just like" the one Ford wore in Raiders of the Lost Ark]

Mad Men [I could care less about the show, and using it as a selling point doesn't make me pay attention]

Bogart [Again, I couldn't care less]

Rat Pack/Sinatra [I don't think Sinatra woulda worn the hat you're selling, pally]

L@@k [no explanation needed]

NICE [again no explanation]

WOW [" " "]

Neat

and the use of "very clean" when the hat looks like it lost a fight with a moth inside a Hoover.

There are many more, but I'm running out of steam for now.

Randy

AntonAAK

Practically Family
This might be confined to UK Ebay but my pet hates are 'mod', 'indie' and 'Weller'.

They can be applied to any item of clothing...

theinterchange

One Too Many
AntonAAK said:
This might be confined to UK Ebay but my pet hates are 'mod', 'indie' and 'Weller'.

They can be applied to any item of clothing...

You see those terms here in the States, but more on vintage clothing items than hats per se.

Randy

randooch

I'll Lock Up
"Like New"

If I'm not mistaken, eBay warns a seller against using this phrase. Ergo, others could be added to their list. Perhaps a "Strongly Discouraged" category could be generated by eBay.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
If I'm not mistaken, eBay warns a seller against using this phrase. [Like New] Ergo, others could be added to their list. Perhaps a "Strongly Discouraged" category could be generated by eBay.

Mint is also improper as it should really refer to something that hasn't even been handled, as though it just left the mint. With action figures, for example, a mint figure should be still sealed in its original packing. The figure (and the packing itself) would have to show no damage or fading or material degradation whatsoever. In the real world this is pretty much impossible, or at best very unusual.

Owing to the way they are stored, and other factors, even old stock hats aren't really mint. Can we agree on that? Minty is no better. It suggests mint without saying as much. For obvious reasons, perfect condition is almost always an exaggeration.

Book sellers and coin collectors have a pretty good system, but even that can be surprisingly subjective. What I consider only G someone else may consider VG+ and be able to back it up using published book seller guidelines (but interpreting them differently).

Again, don't buy into the hype. Weigh what you read in the text (and see in the photos) against your own good sense and experience.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
If it wasn't clear...

Above one of you said...

"I dont [sic] think an outright ban is necessary unless the OP is just trying to make a point. "

Well, DUH!

I am not for ACTUALLY banning anything either. If it wasn't clear when I said "time to vent" in the first post I mean this thread just to be one to carp about idiots on ebay that mislead or annoy with their descriptions.

What is wrong with this world today where everyone has to get so damnably serious.

JUST VENT WILL YA!?

Have a little fun and put the PCism in a box for a few minutes.

Sheese.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mobile Vulgus said:
What is wrong with this world today where everyone has to get so damnably serious.

JUST VENT WILL YA!?

Sheese.
I'm with you. Sometimes the forum collapses into wacky e-mail jousting which goes on and on and on, more absurd with every new entry. Lightening up is needed on a hat website, is my opinion.

theinterchange

One Too Many
randooch said:
If I'm not mistaken, eBay warns a seller against using this phrase. Ergo, others could be added to their list. Perhaps a "Strongly Discouraged" category could be generated by eBay.

I tried to put "Like New" in a listing that WAS like new and they refused to let me list it with that in the title because "it confuses people". [huh]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Mobile Vulgus said:
Above one of you said...

"I dont [sic] think an outright ban is necessary unless the OP is just trying to make a point. "

Well, DUH!

I am not for ACTUALLY banning anything either. If it wasn't clear when I said "time to vent" in the first post I mean this thread just to be one to carp about idiots on ebay that mislead or annoy with their descriptions.

JUST VENT WILL YA!?

Sheese.

Everyone vents in their own way. If you feel put out that my way of venting is to just try to give some common sense advice, then dont take it out on me. It is entirely possible that there is someone who doesnt look at feedbacks when it could help them.

I wrote nothing offensive to anyone who posted here, including the OP. I have found, in the past, on message boards, that it is far easier to offend people while 'try(ing) to have a little fun' than by posting 'advice' or 'pointers' that someone may be able to use.

If I was the type to take offense, Id find you offensive for trying to place your values of whats PC and/or fun upon me, so its all relative.

I will continue to point out what some may find incredibly obvious just in case theres someone out there who will read it and think, hey, I never thought of that. It cant hurt.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I'm with HPG on this one but I'll play anyway.

I think eBay should ban the word Whippet, only because it makes me drool - and it's very embarrassing.

Drooling should be reserved for very much younger and very much older men than me. ;)

Jerekson

One Too Many
The "L@@K" thing ticks me off to an extreme. Any listing that includes that anywhere in the title warrants my disinterest, regardless of whatever vintage treasure it may be.

The main reason I'm making this post at all is so that I can let CRH know that I look behind myself every time I see his profile.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Hundred dollar hat

gtdean48 said:
... Either have to state the date range if known & can prove it or just describe that hat.... [huh]

Yah, those obvious gems are nice but speculating, hypothesizing and theorizing, and otherwise philosophizing on specifics is half the fun around here, isn't it?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Great...

"If I was the type to take offense, Id find you offensive for trying to place your values of whats PC and/or fun upon me, so its all relative."

I am glad, then, that we understand each other because if I was the kind to care that you'd take offense... well, you know.

So, let's have some fun with this one and stop getting all huffy, eh? Just some common sense advice, that.

theinterchange

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
I think VINTAGE should not be allowed. Either have to state the date range if known & can prove it or just describe that hat.... [huh]

Problem with that one is so many folks search by that term, probably more than by brand name. I speak of the uninitiated fedora seekers, of course.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner