Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sellers Guide for Dress Hats on Ebay

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
softouch said:
My wife would have Ebay ban...

"You're the highest bidder."
"You've been outbid. | Increase max bid"
"You won this auction."

My wife would do the same, curiously enough! I've been an ebay addict for about 15 years at this point. I signed up for ebay in the days when they didn't even require any credit car, bank accounts or ID even.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Nibbles: as in moth nibbles. No! Moth damage, holes, pits, craters.
Rare:Most described that way are not.
One of a kind: See above.
I don't know the size: Then why post it? Find out.
I don't know what it's made of: See above.
Classic
Classy
Sinatra

donnc

One of the Regulars
Math.

I wish I could find an example, because I don't remember the exact wording, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen it - the guy doesn't know the hat size, so rather than try to measure the circumference, he provides lengthwise and crosswise dimensions and claims that the circumference is exactly determined by that: "measurements are imprecise, but math is perfect."

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Bowler and Trilby

I have also noticed that some of these idiot sellers have trouble understanding what a "bowler" and what a "trilby" is.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
"Stunning"

Really,......."stunning" as in what? I will keel over and die after receiving the item I "won"? I will be outraged at the blatant lies in the listing used to pawn the thing off? [huh]

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Mobile Vulgus said:
"Rare"

If I had a penny for every time the lie "rare" was included in an ebay description I' be a millionaire.

I think it would be terribly amusing if eBay sellers were required to provide sources for their claims. Then whenever you saw something like "Rare" there could be a link or footnote to a noted expert or journal or collectors book providing the proof that the item exists as "Rare" to someone or something outside of the sellers diseased imagination.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Really,......."stunning" as in what? I will keel over and die after receiving the item I "won"? I will be outraged at the blatant lies in the listing used to pawn the thing off? [huh]

Stunning assessment, ND.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
dishonest words

Silly and stupid words are annoying, but what really bothers me is dishonesty in the description. For example; some guy was selling a "Stratton" hat, and he listed it as a "Stetson." I sent him an email about it and he got pissy w/me and wrote back 'what business of it is yours' so I wrote back, 'I'm gonna report you unless you pull it.' a day later he pulled the listing. But a week after that he relisted using "Stetson." And guess what, he's probably a cop too; I've never seen anyone but a cop wear that type of Stratton.

But here's what really annoys me, eBay doesn't bother to do a damn thing when you report misleading entries; they just don't care anymore. I suspect that they cut their staff that dealt with reports of misleading listings; quality control does not seem as important to them anymore.

I've reported sellers and watched their listing run for the entire auction period, and even relist for another week with the same dishonest description.

Anyway, its not the stupid words sellers use that annoy me so much as the dishonest words; that and eBay's apathy about policing their listings.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Nice seller!

I saw an auction that had 5 different hats in the same auction. The description had no makers, no sizes, ad only general idea of colors.

So, I emailed and asked about makers, sizes and a more precise color description. Here is the whole of the email I got back...

"Size 7."

Yep, that's it. He didn't answer ANY of the other questions.

Here is what I emailed back...

"Thanks for that non-answer. I will not be bidding on your items since you refuse to answer any questions."

Sheese.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
4spurs said:
Silly and stupid words are annoying, but what really bothers me is dishonesty in the description. For example; some guy was selling a "Stratton" hat, and he listed it as a "Stetson." I sent him an email about it and he got pissy w/me and wrote back 'what business of it is yours' so I wrote back, 'I'm gonna report you unless you pull it.' a day later he pulled the listing. But a week after that he relisted using "Stetson." And guess what, he's probably a cop too; I've never seen anyone but a cop wear that type of Stratton.

But here's what really annoys me, eBay doesn't bother to do a damn thing when you report misleading entries; they just don't care anymore. I suspect that they cut their staff that dealt with reports of misleading listings; quality control does not seem as important to them anymore.

Ebay is not there to help you. Ebay is there to make a commission on sales and payments (pay pal). As to the stetson reference it may be that they are using "stetson" to describe the style. Remember " No good deed ever goes unpunished".
Tom D.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I complained

I complained to ebay once about a seller that was selling reproduced 1860s photos. He was very sneaky in how he sold them. You had to really look hard at his descriptions and auction info to notice the one, tiny place he had the word "copy." He never said they were faked out of his computer, he never said they weren't real civil war era CDV photos, he never said they were reproductions, he just said "copy" in the technical info area of the auction.

I alerted ebay that this guy was in essence trying to scam people into not realizing they were buying fake photos made up to look old.

Ebay got back with me quickly, asked for examples, and then made the guy be more explicit in his descriptions after that. After a while I stopped seeing his junk for sale. So, maybe that time, at least, ebay did follow up and do the right thing.

I just wanted to tell one good incident that I personally was involved in to show that ebay has at least once done well with such a situation.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I too have had disputes settled. This was some time ago when you could also leave unfavorable feedback when appropriate and not sign a waiver absolving ebay of any possible backlash from the offender. You also didn't need 19 forms of identification, a letter from your clergyman, an affidavit from you first grade teacher attesting to your honesty and a ten page questionnaire. I'm certain bad feedback was left by buyers who never really read the description of the item but it now seems the presumption of guilt is on the buyer.

Edward

Bartender
St.Ignatz said:
I too have had disputes settled. This was some time ago when you could also leave unfavorable feedback when appropriate and not sign a waiver absolving ebay of any possible backlash from the offender. You also didn't need 19 forms of identification, a letter from your clergyman, an affidavit from you first grade teacher attesting to your honesty and a ten page questionnaire. I'm certain bad feedback was left by buyers who never really read the description of the item but it now seems the presumption of guilt is on the buyer.

It is frustrating the way they changed things. Something had to be done about the number of rogue sellers that were withholding feedback until it was left for them and using negative feedback as a strike back if they got anything less than a positive, no matter how poor the service. However, by preventing sellers from being able to leave anything other than positive feedback, they are unfairly disadvantaged. As I have long argued, what they really need is a system of double-blind feedback, i.e. neither party can see what the other has left them (or even if the other party has left them) for feedback until they themselves leave feedback.

shortbow said:
Two words that should be banned not only on the bay but throughout the world:

Paypal only.

The only certainty is that eventually (if not already) this will be the only payment method allowed by eBay - who, after all, own Paypal and therefore get the fees. Personally, I don't remember the last time that I bought something on eBay that didn't have a Paypal option - it's so much more convenient, I wouldn't be bothered with anything else. It would have to be a really special item or price or both before I would go to the hassle of sending a cheque again.

I hate it when someone selling an A2, for instance, an Aero, will also stuff the auction title with all the other big names - hence "Aero A2 Eastman BuzzRickson GoodWear The Few" - in order to ensure their listing appears when you search for one of those other brand names. The other, related, sin is people who sell "Electric Guitar Cheapo Brand X WITH GENUINE FENDER PICK" and the likes, the same strategy in effect. This is even worse. At least with an A2, if I was looking for an Eastman but discovered a Buzz in my size at a good price, I'd be happy to see that. If I'm looking for a Fender guitar, I most assuredly am not looking to buy a $49 plywood special, whether it come with a Fender branded plectrum or not!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
eBay has had the "PayPal only" rule for a while now. I don't remember the justification they were using for that but it didn't happen until after they bought PayPal.

The phrase I would like to see banned: "for its age"

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mobile Vulgus said:
Time to vent…

OK, I am still fairly new to this fedora subject on ebay but I've noticed a few description words that I'd love ebay to ban from the fedora category.

Of course, the main word is the same word that should be banned for EVERY ebay sale, not just fedoras…

"Rare"

If I had a penny for every time the lie "rare" was included in an ebay description I' be a millionaire.

But here are a few others:

"Indiana Jones" … sorry, but they just ain't!
"Michael Jackson".. ditto
"Unisex"… uh, no.
"Pimp Hat"… please.
"Leather"… sorry, but NO respectable fedora wearer would buy a leather "fedora."
And how about "Zoot Suit"… that one is a laugh.
Then there's "gangster"… idiotic.

And while we are at it, how come you can't exclude sellers in your search? Can we ban the seller zhor50 that sells all those idiotic trilbys in all sorts of ridiculous colors? You can search BY seller, but you can't search excluding one and that sucks.

So, what words would you guys wish you could ban?
My wife would be most pleased if they would just stop running items with the word "hat" attached.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i wont post the sellers name here but he always tries to make smaller hats seem like they mite fit you by posting things like "its tag reads a size seven
but it could fit up to size 7 1/4" yeah right if you jam it on your head and then walk around with a hat that dose not fit you jammed on your head.
worst part is he has so many really cool hats that are just a tad to small for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner