Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sellers Guide for Dress Hats on Ebay

There is a place to put in Guides on Ebay, I tried to copy/paste this in but it keeps saying something about HTML or something. i don't want to have to re-write the whole thing.

Remember guide for uninitiated EBAYERS!

Men’s Dress Hats, Questions for the Seller & Buyer!

There are a variety of styles of hats that fall under the category of Men’s Dress hats. The most famous is the FEDORA, which has wide latitudes and parameters for dimensions yet still falls under the description. Your best bet is to do some research visiting online stores to get a good description and look at pictures to match up with the hat you’re selling. Still, “Fedora” is a much misused term with sellers calling all sorts of men’s hats, a ‘fedora’ that are not. HOMBURGS are also in the mix and are similar to a fedora but the especially the brim and sometimes the crown are shaped differently. BOWLERS, DERBIES, TOP HATS, PORK PIES, ALPINE and STINGY BRIMS round out usual men’s dress hats.

First off, the best of these hats are made of fur felt, either: beaver, rabbit or a blend of both. Occasionally, you may find an exotic fur used in the felt. If you are positive of the content, please list it, exotic fur felt can be quite desirable. Also, there are some well made hats that contain synthetic materials that were blended with real fur to make the felt. The dress hat has a relative in Western hats, both using fur felt bodies to make the hat. Western hats often have different beaver contents are noted as X’s, with the idea that more x’s are better felts. Although wool felt hats can be well made and serviceable, fur felt is generally noted as a better quality.

The quality of the felt may allow for cleaning and re-blocking plus re-sizing sometimes but these are moderate to expensive restorations when done by professionals. The cleaning and restoration of hats were once available in most towns and cities. Now there are only a small number of hatters and shops prepared to do this work. Amateurs should consider many repairs in the realm of pros only, unless they have many hats to practice on to get the experience. Some defects are not repairable or extremely difficult to do such as holes or divots in the felt. Holes can come from too much improper handling and the dreaded “moth bites.” Moth larva may munch on the felt creating small holes and divot like tracks along the surface of the felt. Moth flakes or cedar should be utilized in the storage area to keep these destructive pests away from your quality hats. Any holes or divots need to be described and shown in photos if possible. Dirt, dust, stains, smudges, or damages to the surface again must be described and shown in photos. Dust and dirt may be cleaned by a knowledgeable person, but should not be done by the untrained as the felt can be quickly and irreversibly damaged. Spots and stains are not always removable and again should be noted and photographed.

Smells or odors should be noted, most can be removed by cleaning, airing out or if the hat is placed in a bag with a box of baking soda like the refrigerator odor removal type for about a week. Don’t get that baking soda on the hat though!

Always try to show pictures of the details of the imprints on the sweatband and the liner. Careful checking under the sweatband may reveal tags with codes that are of interest to the collector. The style of crests and such can often be used to find the era of manufacture. Occasionally an actual date may be revealed and that is good detective work to the delight of the collector. Be sure to include all of the liner, sweatband imprints and tag information in your written description! Be as accurate and honest in your description. If you can do “macro” or close up pictures of these details that clearly show them all the better, it will help sell the hat.

Take clear and focused pictures from every conceivable angle: outside: top, bottom, front back and both sides. Inside: close-ups of any imprints and details. The box, if you have a box, can be generic or specific to the hat or totally unrelated, describe and photograph separately. Also try to describe the colors of the hat as it doesn’t always show correctly on the computer monitor. Fuzzy pictures are a detriment and a headache.

Measurements and dimensions are critical to a men’s hat so be prepared to measure! Describe to Crown & give height front and rear. Describe the brim, as to the WIDTH. Does it curve up or down or both? Please measure from the base of the crown, at or near where the bottom of the ribbon or band is, and out to the edge. Also note as some hats are wider at the front and the rear than the sides, you may wish to measure all of these sections to be sure.

Good pictures of the ribbon and the bow are essential too! Also the edge of the brim maybe worked in a variety of ways such as raw, bound, stitched, folded and pressed all of which are of interest to the collector or user.

Even if you find a size tag, old hats tend to shrink so double check the ACTUAL SIZE of a hat! Please, measure the CIRCUMFRENCE of the hat, INSIDE, all the way AROUND the SWEAT BAND in inches to nearest fraction of an inch. If you do not have a cloth tape measure, then use a piece of string and read measured string against tape measure or yard stick. Here is a conversion chart for converting Inches to US sizes:

INCHES US Size Metric
21” = size 6-5/8 = 53 cm
21-1/2” = size 6-3/4 = 54 cm
21-3/4” = size 6-7/8 = 55 cm
22” = size 7 = 56 cm
22-1/2” = size 7-1/8 = 57 cm
22-3/4” = size 7-1/4 = 58 cm
23” = size 7-3/8 = 59 cm
23-1/2” = size 7-1/2 = 60 cm
24” = size 7-5/8 = 61 cm
24-3/8” = size 7-3/4 = 62 cm
24-7/8” = size 7-7/8 = 63 cm
25-1/8” = size 8 = 63 cm

Also the size tag may mention a shape type like LONG OVAL which is a specific shape to match a head shape. This is key information to be listed!

A good, complete, and accurate description, noting all the details, along with clear pictures will bring you a better chance for a good sale.

In the ITEM TITLE you should consider first listing the following:
STYLE, MAKER, MODEL, COLOR, SIZE and then some sales pitch.
These first five items will help more to sell the hat by allowing the collector find your treasure quickly and easily.

Example: Fedora Stetson Playboy Grey 7-7/8 Film Noir very clean!

Again, the more details in your write up you can accurately list the better the chance to sell. And the more accurately you describe the hat including faults the more likely you will NOT have an angry customer looking to return the hat as misrepresented in the listings.

If you don’t know the actual age of the hat then don’t guess unless you care to expound on why you think it is of a certain age. Many hats made in the 60’s and later are listed erroneously as much earlier manufacture, style does not always indicate age.

Damaged hats may be restorable, our hatters can do some remarkable and rather astonishing restorations but they are labors of love, time consuming and of great expense. That said, rare and desirable models may suggest a complete rebuild to revive a notable hat.

Collectors may be looking for certain specific details which are always good to publish in the Question and Answer area to help all the buyers, it is not privileged information.

Happy selling and good luck with your hat auction.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ASK

No offense, but you're dreaming! I have bought hats on Ebay over five years now..I have learned that today, not many people know squat about hats. Case in point, one I bought which was described as "perfect and wonderful, like new".

I stopped counting moth HOLES after 7..and the "divots" were about another 10! Dry sweat, mashed crown....you get the idea.

But your post is great in that you as the buyer have to ASK the right questions.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Great suggestions. I try to follow nearly all of them when I sell vintage hats on eBay. However, I haven't taken bird's-eye view photos of the crown, nor of the back. Front, bottom, and side photos always.

Let me add one thing to your list, John: clear, close-up photos of any stamping or labels on the sweatband and liner. These logos are sometimes the only way for a buyer to gauge the approximate age of a hat. A Stetson logo design from 1925 is different from that of the '40s.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ignorant opinion here...

But in many threads, you all complain about the prices on hats going sky high, because everyone is finding them.

In this thread, you want to standardize things, so you can find hats easier.

These two things are generally incompatible. The bargains you all can still manage to find, I would wager, are the mislabeled, under described, and otherwise non informative listings.

If you managed to inform the sellers about changing that, the prices on every single hat listed would go sky high and no more 'secret bargains' would be had.

Just remember, if you make it easier for -you-, you also make it easier for every single person on ebay.....

Feel free to kick me out of the hat room now.....

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Continuing what Andykev was saying, how about telling the truth in item descriptions ands photos. I have just about given up purchasing hats on ebay for this reason. Recently, I purchased a hat described as "well taken care of and clean, no loose stitching". The hat arrived and it was FILTHY, misshapen, you could almost see through the peak of the crown and half the sweatband was unstitched and loose. Of course the seller didn't want to hear any of this and wanted to give me negative feedback for confronting him with my objections. Go figure.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
John, I agree with you about what's desirable - and I think Katt would agree that I provide that info in my auctions.

But many Ebay sellers are lazy, ignorant (in the sense of not knowing anything about what they sell), don't care about informing people, or just trying to crank out so much stuff that they don't have time to write a good description.

Actually, it's the descriptions that keep me from selling more on Ebay. I have stuff stacked at the house - including probably 300+ records including 78s, LPs and wonderful 45s with full LP-type dustcovers - that I don't have time to sell. The time it takes to get photos, and ESPECIALLY to write good descriptions, is a real problem. One good description probably takes me 15-25 minutes to write, and for many items, that's more time than it's worth.

If I can get all those records queued up to sell, I'll have to set them up with generic descriptions and just roll'em out....otherwise it won't be worth my time on a per-record basis.

And I have four boxes of antique glass and similar stuff from my mom's house sitting for the same reason - no time to photograph it and write good descriptions.

Other examples - my dad started collecting matchbooks in the 30's - I have probably 200 of them. He also saved valentines from his grade school days in the late 20's - I have a box full of them. I think all this would sell on Ebay, but who has time??????????????? :(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
But in many threads, you all complain about the prices on hats going sky high, because everyone is finding them.

In this thread, you want to standardize things, so you can find hats easier.

These two things are generally incompatible. The bargains you all can still manage to find, I would wager, are the mislabeled, under described, and otherwise non informative listings.

Having well-labeled auctions to bid on may be worth the risk of gaining more bidders as competitors. The problem with ill-labeled auctions is this: they may allow me to win a hat at a decent price, but that hat may turn out to be wrong for me. If I'd known the correct size and condition all along, I could have avoided getting that wrong hat.

It's true that you can send private messages to sellers asking for more info, but guess what? The sellers often post your question and their response ... right on the auction's webpage. So in the end, every potential bidder gets to know the information you asked about.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Marc, you're right.

One thing that DOES burn me is when people can't even take the time to do a quick search for "how to size a hat" on the Internet - they'd immediately find out how to assign size. When they don't even take time to try and identify the size of a hat, they're too d**n lazy for their own good.

Good points, Neecerie, Falzone and Pilgrim. Look, whatever good deals I got on eBay were due in large part to the sellers' ignorance or indifference. That, and my reluctance to pay much for a hat I haven't held in my hands, seen with my eyes (as opposed to the camera's) and dropped on my head. A certain amount of persistence and good luck comes into play too. Some hats that would sell for a hundred bucks one week wouldn't fetch a third of that the next.
I'm growing increasingly inclined to heed the admonition delivered by Rev. Feltfan. It's not that I won't buy a hat off eBay, but I won't pay much for it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Frankly, I'd rather pay more for a hat that was a sure thing in terms of fit and condition ... than pay less for a hat that was iffy. For every chancey win that pans out, there are several that turn out to be duds. Those failed bets end up being more costly in the long run.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's especially bad when a seller falsely indicates that a hat is a medium size, when in fact it's small. I get the hat, can't wear it, and will have a heck of a time reselling it on eBay ... because small-sized hats are a dime a dozen, and most don't get bids. So now I have to convince the seller to take it back and return my payment ... and I have to send the hat back. And if the seller refuses to accomodate me, I have to fight him/her. What a hassle!

John in Covina said:
First, as many said, the sellers are dimwits and loosers so a significant portion that is illiterate, dislexic and feebleminded will still be the ones to have the hidden bargains as they are incapable of making a good listing. they are precluded from the formatting and quick search..

You know, before we go ripping other people's basic reading and writing skills, we may wish to check our own. I know some fine people you might call "loosers" (sic) and "dislexic" (sic). They aren't "dimwits," and they aren't "feebleminded." (At least you spelled those two words correctly.) They just happen to have what have come to be called "learning disabilities." They're quite bright in ways I will never be.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Hat sizing chart can be misleading.

I have seen not only on ebay but on websites of retailers that things are out of kilter. 7 3/8 can mean 22inches; 22 1/2 inches or 23 inches. and how about things like 7 2/8? which turns out to be 23 1/2 inches.

i wear a perfect 7 3/8. new hats from two of the big name hat-makers fit like a glove. they are 23 inches. yet hats from another major name are sized a 7 3/8 ...(you know who i'm talking about!) ....and they are only 22 inches - 22 1/2 inches. how can we expect ebay sellers to be consistent with sizing when the first-tier hatmakers can't?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Good point, tonyb. That's why I said "ignorant" and defined it.

Although sometimes the spelling, grammar and generally sloppy approach lead me to suspect that other adjectives can be applied very accurately.

I'm right with you, Pilgrim. Some folks just don't care enough to read what they've just written. I'd call that "lazy." I've yet to encounter a person who doesn't commit the occasional spelling and/or grammar error. There are indeed some fine literary stylists who are notoriously poor spellers. That's why they have editors. Still, they wouldn't put something in print until it went through editing and proofreading. That's all part of professionalism--caring enough about what you do to see to it it's done right.
There's nothing quite so liberating as humility. And humility entails deferring to people with superior knowledge and/or talent. Me, I'm still working on that, but I hope I've gotten over the tendency to view life as a never-ending contest.
EDIT: "Life as a 'never-ending' contest" leaves the impression that the writer thinks he's immortal. "Continual" might be a better word.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
tonyb said:
I've yet to encounter a person who doesn't commit the occasional spelling and/or grammar error. There are indeed some fine literary stylists who are notoriously poor spellers. That's why they have editors. Still, they wouldn't put something in print until it went through editing and proofreading. That's all part of professionalism--caring enough about what you do to see to it it's done right.

There's a reason that I end up editing almost every response I ever post. It probably comes from being in Communications/Radio/TV for so many years that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing accurately. But even then, I occasionally miss a typo. But whadda I know. I claim that after someone earns a Ph.D., in the process they're trained to be completely unable to write coherently. I'm occasionally proof of that argument.

(And I just edited this post in an attempt to be more clear. Sigh.)

That's a hoot, Pilgrim. That academic s#*@ sure can be painful, can't it? The process of earning a Ph.D. apparently involves learning how to take concepts that could be clearly and plainly explained and loading 'em down with so much jargon and obscure asides that they end up about as clear as mud and plain as a banana split. It drives me nuts, that use of language I've heard characterized as "forbidding to outsiders and confining to insiders."
I've heard some academics say, in defense of that sort of writing, something like, "Well, it's perfectly logical, it's just dense." To which I usually respond, "Yup, Perfessor, it surely is dense, but not by the definition you're using."
Turf protection, is what it is. Fortunately, most academics have a good sense of humor about themselves and their colleagues and the highfalutin writing they're prone to producing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner