Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvage Denin and Weight Answers

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I've been curious about the Selvage jean definition and the topic of weight.

Here is the is the Cone Denim site which talks about Selvage Denim.

http://www.conedenim.com/selvage.html

I emailed Cone and asked about the weight and washing the denim. They kindly replied, "13.50 oz indicates the weight of one yard of fabric. Washing your jeans will not significantly affect the weight. The weight is most manipulated by the yarn and the weave so just your regular washing will not change it."

John

mattface

Practically Family
Significant shrinkage would theoretically increase the weight, because as the threads shrink, they will become shorter and thicker, increasing the density per yard, but since most denim is Sanforized it will not shrink significantly. Therefore, while non-sanforized denim may increase in weight by an ounce + with washing, most denim won't.

Significant shrinkage would theoretically increase the weight, because as the threads shrink, they will become shorter and thicker, increasing the density per yard, but since most denim is Sanforized it will not shrink significantly. Therefore, while non-sanforized denim may increase in weight by an ounce + with washing, most denim won't.
That only counts if you measure a swatch of unwashed and washed denim in the same size piece. I don't want someone thinking their jeans are going to get heavier after they wash them :rofl:

mattface

Practically Family
That only counts if you measure a swatch of unwashed and washed denim in the same size piece. I don't want someone thinking their jeans are going to get heavier after they wash them :rofl:

They won't get heavier. They will get smaller, so the weight per yard will go up as the yardage goes down, and the weight stays the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR