Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious Comedians

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
At the moment I'm watching "Crash" for the first time. I had no idea Brendan Fraiser was in it. I also had no idea he played serious roles. Maybe I just missed a few of his films. I think it's really interesting when a comedic actor or actress plays a serious character. It's the complete opposite of what we as the audience are used to seeing. Jim Carrey, for example is best known for his routine in "Ace Ventura". Even thinking of Jim Carrey will remind you of Ace Ventura's character. But he is a really good serious actor. In films like "The Truman Show" or "The Majestic", his character is taken more seriously. Though in The Truman Show his smile shines through the movie, but he's not bending down and talking out of his behind and he plays his character very well, I believe.

Will Smith I think does really well as a serious actor and comedic actor. When I watched "Hitch" a couple of days ago, you see both of these approaches. That must be hard to have two different attitudes in the same movie. I know Jackie Chan has done some serious work, but I haven't seen it. In Rush Hour he plays as Chris Tucker's savior in a sense, getting him out of all the situations. Salma Hayek, I've seen play both kinds of characters and even when she plays a serious role, she always has those comedic moments.

I can't think of that many female actresses, so I apologize if this seems onesided. A current female comedic actress I'd say would be Renee Zellwegger. I know there are others but I cannot put my finger on their names. Myra Loy was a versatile actress, acting seriously and acting comedically.

I'll try to think of some more female comedic actresses. I know there are more. What are some more serious comedic actors and actresses and what did you like about them playing as a serious person and as a comedic. Which do you prefer?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Robin Williams was a good transition to dramatic rolls. One Hour Photo is one of my faves of his.

Jim Carey in the Truman Show is another.

Eddie Murphy is one too. He did a cop movie in the mid 90s called Metro that I dig.

Bill Murry of course!

LD

Starius

Practically Family
I'm also impressed when comedians take these kinds of more serious dramatic roles. Most of the time, I am genuinely impressed with their performance.

Speaking of Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is another one of those movies.

And also speaking of Robin Williams, two films where he really impressed me with his dramatic acting abilities was One Hour Photo and Being Human.

More recently, Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction impressed me quite a bit.

I've also seen this happen in television a lot lately, too.
In the TV series "Mad Men," I've recently seen Kristen Schaal from Flight of the Conchords and Crista Flanagan from Mad TV & Hope Is Emo do small but perfect roles.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
comedians playing serious roles

I've heard discussions on this that really make sense.
Comedians are people that are trained to deliver lines in the exact way they want to get the exact reaction they are looking for in the crowd. Plus, they use timing and facial expressions (or lack of) to drive it home, and they tend to do it LIVE. What could be better training for a serious role?

Jp

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Dan Akroyd. Although he started in SNL, occasionally teaming with Steve Martin, I thought he was great in Driving Miss Daisy.

When a dramatic movie includes humor, I think it makes the movie better. Life is never 100% serious - humor crops up everywhere in life.

Lee

"Everything's funny if you wait long enough." - Kinky Friedman

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the most remarkable transitions was that of Ed Wynn, known in the twenties as "The Perfect Fool." He was a traditional baggy-pantsed silly-hatted slapstick comedian on Broadway, on radio, and in movies for most of his career -- and then, amazingly, became an award-winning serious actor in films and television in the fifties.

An article about his life and career -- http://www.midcoast.com/~lizmcl/wynn.html

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
One of the most remarkable transitions was that of Ed Wynn, known in the twenties as "The Perfect Fool."

I adore Ed Wynn and I've always thought he should be better known than he is today. Wonderful as Mr. Dussell in The Diary of Anne Frank and he's in a couple of really good Twilight Zone episodes too.

Has Steve Carell been mentioned? He was so good in Little Miss Sunshine, I wish he'd do more drama.

Starius

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Has Steve Carell been mentioned? He was so good in Little Miss Sunshine, I wish he'd do more drama.

You're right, he was excellent in that movie.

Two others come to mind:

Adam Sandler has done a few dramatic roles in Spanglish, Reign Over Me, and Punch-Drunk Love.

Also, lets not forget the great Tom Hanks started his career out in comedies too. The TV show Bosom Buddies, and early acting roles on episodes of Happy Days, Taxi, and The Love Boat. Not to mention movies like The Man with One Red Shoe, Bachelor Party, The Burbs, and The Money Pit.
I mention his comedic roles here because I think it's easy to forget his work in comedy since hes made such excellent dramas in the last few years. In fact, a entire young generation probably only knows him for his dramatic work.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Insomnia was great with Robin Williams in a very unusual role and cast with an unlikely co-star in Al Pacino.

Anyone seen 23? Looked like one hell of a creepy psych thriller with Jim Carrey as a tattooed up sax player on a steady mental decline.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Charlie Chaplin although known as a great comedian I think is it much more powerful as the exact opposite - a great err tragedian (a real word?!?!). His intensely heartbreaking moments resonate much longer after viewing then the side splitting moments in his films... atleast in my opinion! :rolleyes:

Tragedies are my favorite genre I suppose, because I'm equally attracted to Lon Chaney for the same aspects!

Feraud

Bartender
I think Robin Williams is only watchable in dramas. :)

Didn't Eric Bana start out in televison comedies? He made an impression in dramas such as Chopper and Black Hawk Down.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Zazu Pitts(1894-1963)

One of the greatest comediannes in Hollywood history. She participated in many films and also she was the protagonist in the amazing silent movie "Greed" (1924) directed by Erich Von Stroheim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy