Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

setting a hat down: brim up or brim down?

Snowman

Practically Family
I agree with @belfastboy - it depends. On the hat, the locale, the situation…Fed IV, almost always on its crown because the brim is so soft and its usually wet after I wear it. Stiff western, it doesn’t really matter because nothing is going to mess with all that shellac. Fedoras, brim down on top of a chair back, crown down on the hamper or table, stacked on another similar hat, hanging from the mirror on my wife’s dresser - it just depends. I figure if they are that fragile I shouldn’t be wearing them anyway.

My understanding is that soft felt hats (e.g. fedoras) should be set brim down to avoid possible crown deformation and that crown-down is mostly preferred for western hats to avoid possible brim deformation.

This makes sense to me. I’ve had several stiff western hats that required brim re-shaping (usually due to heat of a car or some prolonged pressure on the brim). Soft hats/fedoras I usually set brim down but either with the brim snapped up or the front snapped down but hanging over the edge of the surface it’s sitting on.

In truth, I hang them on pegs, store them in boxes, and have them scattered all over brim up or down. Having a steamer, several flanges, and a flange stand takes out a lot of the worry, but the real vintage pieces and the very light felts demand the best consistent care.

Last edited:
However you do it.....DO NOT put your hat on a bed or chair seat!!!! Bad Luck is the result!!!! :-O
1648655065698.png
1648655080951.png
1648655190661.png

Monte

A-List Customer
Stiff western, it doesn’t really matter because nothing is going to mess with all that shellac. Fedoras, brim down on top of a chair back, crown down on the hamper or table, stacked on another similar hat
Hi. Not sure how you do it but for me,, Stacking a hat inside a sweatband of another hat calls for some layer of protection I have found. Sweat lines are difficult to remove.

Snowman

Practically Family
Hi. Not sure how you do it but for me,, Stacking a hat inside a sweatband of another hat calls for some layer of protection I have found. Sweat lines are difficult to remove.
Yes, I agree. Stacking is not my favorite option, and it is done only from necessity. I do usually let the hat sit to dry and/or wipe the sweatband first. I have a couple that came to me with permanent marks from long term stacking.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here is an option that will cost only a coupla bucks and some of your time.

You'll need oak tag, a pencil, a ruler, a scissors, a straight edge, a stapler, and some of your time.

Make it tall enough so the top of the hat doesn't touch the surface the holder is resting on, and just wide enough to support the hat where the brim meets the crown. Then leave another inch for the flaps.

I made these for all my hats that don't have actual hat boxes.

Attachments

• 20220331_114034.jpg
    20220331_114034.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220331_114121.jpg
    20220331_114121.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
I've typically got 2 hats in rotation and they're stacked upside down / crown down with the brims tipped up.

All other's are stored in boxes with proper rings, etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner