Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting directions with rollers?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I've found tons of setting instructions for vintage hair styles but they are all done with pin curls. Are there any setting instruction for vintage hair that rely on rollers?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MarieAnne said:
I've found tons of setting instructions for vintage hair styles but they are all done with pin curls. Are there any setting instruction for vintage hair that rely on rollers?
I've seen them for 60's hair, not really anything earlier. In the 60's they used rollers a lot to get bouffants, height, and flips.

For anything earlier, it was mostly pincurls, and they would use those miniscule metal rollers for the little hairs on the sides and nape of the neck. I would think that's why you usually see vintage ones still on the card in packs of 3 or 4. Not 10 or 20 like they do these days.

Also, it was almost never rolled in the back to the scalp. They almost always left the crown flat and rolled to just above the nape of the neck, and just above the ears. The only part that ever had heights was the bang area.
You can still follow pin curl sets with rollers, you just roll in the direction you want the hair to go. With a roller, you are going to get more volume than you would with a pincurl, simply because of the size of the roller. Pincurls are flat to the head unless you make a standing pincurl, which is about the same as a roller. I hope that makes sense.:)

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I don't know if this helps at all because it's modern from Sephora but it's "Old Hollywood glamour." It's a wave set but it's nice because you see him brush it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FZtTv3V1mE

There's also this diagram:
ask-mmdiagram.gif

From here:
http://www.miss-vintage.com/marilyn/questions.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR